Past #42: Declan Mountford - delisted by NMFC on 04 October 2018 - thanks and good luck Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL, how many games did I play at the highest level? That old chestnut. I wasn't good enough to play AFL, so played in the Ammos. Does this mean you have a more valid opinion than I do on NMFC? The fact that you were more talented somehow validates your opinion on our club?

Not going into details about the Kelly and Martin deals (like you), but I do know more than was available on this forum. Not much more, I concede, but it's why I don't blame the club for not landing either "big fish", which was exactly what you were doing. In your non-bagging of the club.

And if you didn't play for us, WTF are you doing here pretending to be a North supporter? Still pissed off with Brisbane / WC after all these years?

It substantiates why I’ll stand up for players while you probably hate them all because you didn’t make it.
Moved to Melbourne and The Russ has been a great mate for a long time.
Sorry if that’s not good enough to support NM.
I’m not pissed with anyone, just said I know how it feels when your footy carreer ends. Never played for West Coast so can’t comment there but no doubt won’t stop you forming an opinion.
You want me to discuss Kelly but won’t disclose anything, usually suggests nothing to share as I’ll know it’s crap. It’s tough when you get called out isn’t it!

It substantiates why I’ll stand up for players while you probably hate them all because you didn’t make it.
I’m not pissed with anyone, just said I know how it feels when your footy carreer ends. Never played for West Coast so can’t comment there but no doubt won’t stop you forming an opinion.
You want me to discuss Kelly but won’t disclose anything, usually suggests nothing to share as I’ll know it’s crap. It’s tough when you get called out isn’t it!

Oh David, don't rub it in. I envy you so much. I hate all AFL players, past and present, because I am filled with fist-shaking envy.

Yes, it is tough when you get called out. You seem to react badly to it.

I'll say for the 3rd time that I know enough about each deal to conclude that it was not the club's fault that we didn't land a big fish. You seem to think it was, but by your own admission, you know zero about one of the two deals.

Anyway, I vaguely remember you as a Bear. Wikipedia tells me you finished up at Fitzroy. Don't remember that. But I still envy you **shakes fist**

Oh David, don't rub it in. I envy you so much. I hate all AFL players, past and present, because I am filled with fist-shaking envy.

Yes, it is tough when you get called out. You seem to react badly to it.

I'll say for the 3rd time that I know enough about each deal to conclude that it was not the club's fault that we didn't land a big fish. You seem to think it was, but by your own admission, you know zero about one of the two deals.

Anyway, I vaguely remember you as a Bear. Wikipedia tells me you finished up at Fitzroy. Don't remember that. But I still envy you **shakes fist**

I’m waiting for the next post where you take the piss out of my footy carreer since you know so much.

David, you probably need to chill a bit. Sometimes things are said about a player that might not be spot on. But for the most part, the people around here will back a player over the club.

That's what we do though, we talk s**t, we speculate, we muse. But only because we all love our footy club to ridiculous proportions. With the exception of a couple of trolls here, I don't think anybody "hates" any of our players. Hence why most of us hold multiple memberships, sponsor players, volunteer for the club, fight like crazy to stop our being gobbled up by your old club, the Sharkies.

In isolation, a lot of the stuff on here can look crass. Most of us have been here for years, there's a ton of in-jokes that can be misconstrued, but we all want what is best for our club and players.

And no, not many of us have the privilege of inside knowledge. So we have to speculate and chat. If the players don't want us to be as involved, I'm sure they won't mind taking pay cuts if public interest dissipates.

I’m waiting for the next post where you take the piss out of my footy carreer since you know so much.

No, I'm impressed, a Sandover, Bears B&F (with one of my favourites, Martie), and very high Brownlow finish. You were pretty top shelf.

I'm just a mug who watches it, but I don't accept your assertions that the club is doing the wrong thing by players. And that is what you were asserting.

Well I remember you David :)

No mocks from me. Handy player by memory. If I remember you, you must of been relevant as there's a lot of Bear's players I cannot remember.

Yeah great record. Last one I read was about exorbitant fee being sought by Dec. Which great source gave you that so that you could slam the kid.

In all seriousness, I'm friends with a couple of current and former North players, that is how I know.

You're friends with a former North ruckman.

In all likely hood, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Let's just hope you haven't cost Alex his ruck coach job with the club, cause you decided to name drop him to bag out North.

I will say we have managed to re-sign most of the players we wanted to keep Wells and Greenwood aside, the big fish thing, well apart from danger there hasn't been that many big fish and we at least turned a couple of heads re: extending some of the players coming close to one year left, most clubs would be similarly placed and also our cap management re: leaving space for a quality recruit could be a factor.

Go Royals

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mate players aren’t going to bag their own club publicly are they?
Never doubted the culture amongst the players, very strong as is their commitment to Scotty and coaches.
Same can’t be said about Other staff.
So why can’t lure a big fish?
Gunnu, My gut feel is youre close to Mountford, thus making comments such, where we treat players badly (or quoting managers saying this) Its not true.......If youre basing your reason on recent form , then youre really not looking at the bigger picture.

We had a a group last year that sat outside the prerequisites of our reset, now we have one more this year in Gibson. And as you've probably read or heard views and opinions regarding Mullett. If you're a true fan of the NMFC you'd know if we're guilty of treating our players fair or not.
The club is definitely embarking in a new reset and Mountford is definitely inside the longterm plan......just remember that.

Congrats on your footy career. I remember you well. You may have even played with mates of mine who ventured to Southport for a bit, but I can't recall which years they were there.

All inside info is welcome but, as said above, understand that most posters are speculating. Some here shouldn't be underestimated with their level of contacts as well. Plenty of us know far more than we ever post as we have to respect the priviledge we're afforded when receiving direct facts from people asking us to keep it to ourselves.

I don't pot any player and I see some occasions when a player is being wrongly chastised but rather than take on all comers I prefer to let the banter take its course and maybe give a hint the point getting everyone up in arms is actually incorrect. Being a chat forum fairly representative of the North masses you're going to read all manner of stuff you know to be wrong but, as is the nature of footy supporters chatting, let 'em go at it.

A simple "look, I can assure you this has never been about the money. He was hoping for a couple of years, as other clubs have said they're willing to offer. He's a good kid and I'm sure he'll make a decision on his future soon, with North top of the list" would've been enough to calm those wrongly bagging him for money grabbing.

Anyway David, welcome aboard. I too know "Jake" well btw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats on your footy career. I remember you well. You may have even played with mates of mine who ventured to Southport for a bit, but I can't recall which years they were there.

All inside info is welcome but, as said above, understand that most posters are speculating. Some here shouldn't be underestimated with their level of contacts as well. Plenty of us know far more than we ever post as we have to respect the priviledge we're afforded when receiving direct facts from people asking us to keep it to ourselves.

I don't pot any player and I see some occasions when a player is being wrongly chastised but rather than take on all comers I prefer to let the banter take its course and maybe give a hint the point getting everyone up in arms is actually incorrect. Being a chat forum fairly representative of the North masses you're going to read all manner of stuff you know to be wrong but, as is the nature of footy supporters chatting, let 'em go at it.

A simple "look, I can assure you this has never been about the money. He was hoping for a couple of years, as other clubs have said they're willing to offer. He's a good kid and I'm sure he'll make a decision on his future soon, with North top of the list" would've been enough to calm those wrongly bagging him for money grabbing.

Anyway David, welcome aboard. I too know "Jake" well btw.
Ive just been wading through the stats trying to nut out who we're chatting to.......can you remember a certain famous picture on the back page of the sun of said explayer here.

I remember my mate pointing it out to me.......Gunnu can you confirm ?? hahaha

Last edited:
I’m not asking anyone to accept anything.
It’s an opinion and info, take it or leave it.
Yes, you’re right I’ll stand up for any player that gets bagged. I know how hard it is. They can’t respond but I can.
Let’s compare notes,
What do you know about the Dusty deal and the Kelly deal that hasn’t come from the forum?

Hmmm. Never said I played with North, welcome for you to check with Discodaddy.
Played with The Russian before he joined North.
So, how many games did you play with any club?

David Bain?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a stupid comment.
How do you have a mass walkout, they are under contract.
This is why we can’t attract any big dogs no matter how stupid the amount of money we offer and why players shop around as soon as they are marketable.
Or would you prefer the reason that we are so far from winning a flag.
The bulk of our list is either on 1 year contracts or waiting retirement. Either it’s a crappy list or the Club isn’t showing much confidence/ loyalty to the players. Why would a player not look for long term contracts. Contrary to public opinion it’s not always about the money.

no dramas mate. cause all the big dogs as you call them left their clubs....ultimately, its harder to get a player from a club than to retain them.
also, re players shopping around....who has shopped around? the only two recently were greenwood, and wells, and both left for the $. if Dec has shopped himself around, and then just signed a 1 yr with us, what does that tell ya? either he had no interest from anyone else, or he likes the club.
our possy of having a lot of players on 1 yr contracts is 1) most of these guys are in the retirement age, or injury prone, and giving them a last chance, and 2) younger players that we want to use different payment structures in the future (bbb falls into this category too on his 2 yr extension)

i always believe the words coming out of the club, rather than a manager that just want to fill his pockets

I'm curious to know who we have missed due to not offering long term contracts. 7 years not enough for Dusty? 9 for Kelly?5 for Heeney?

Who have we lost? 32yo Wells? Who would offer a 32yo more than 1 year? Apart from Collingwood? Greenwood? That's about it.

How many long term contracts have burnt us? Black, Urquhart. Woods 4 year deal is looking average at the moment. Swallow and Goldy?

All the evidence suggest that long term deals carry an inherent risk and generally turn to s**t.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Once again this thread is made up of fiction because too many people want to have a view.
Dec wasn’t chasing big dollars, would love to know where that came from!
Yes he was chasing a 2 year contract because that’s what 2 other clubs were sprouting.
The offer was one year and he took it. This kid is level headed and isn’t over-valuing himself.

I'll assume both W.A. clubs made offers.

Totally agree, would have thought a longer contract would have been offered but second year players don’t have a lot of bargaining power.
Unfortunately the Club doesn’t have a good reputation of treating its players very well. Maybe why we can’t attract a big dog and why players look at options. ( Words straight from a manager).

These are poorly structured sentences that can easily mislead people.

It should read:

According to one manager, the Club doesn’t have a good reputation of treating its players very well.

Then seperately:

Maybe this is why we can’t attract a big dog and why players look at options?

Then in your next post it appears that the musings of one manager have now moved in to the realms of established fact:

This is why we can’t attract any big dogs no matter how stupid the amount of money we offer and why players shop around as soon as they are marketable.

1) I am unaware of North being anything other than a harmonious environment for our players.
2) The musings of a single player manager are neither here nor there, and are definitely not the basis for summing up our entire club and its list.
3) We missed out on the current best player in the competition by a week and only after the players club bent over backwards and basically publicly begged the player to stay. I can't see how any other club could have done any better,
4) Don't be too quick to judge the Kelly trade as a failure. Presently, in light of Martin declining our offer, we are better off as a club with Josh staying at GWS for another two years. Some strongly believe JK will end up at North in two years time.

Last edited:
You’ve totally missed my point ( maybe deliberately)
How and why would players under contract do a mass walkout. ask for a trade?
Why can’t NM attract a big dog.? has any team recently other than danger who went home
Why is the bulk of our list on 1 year contracts? one minute your saying how do they do a mass walkout, the next minute their on a 1 year contract.....they didnt have to re-sign.
As I said most players value longevity above one off $. yep, but the club doe#nt have to give everyone multi year deals
What players did NM have in the last 5 years that other Clubs chased and couldn’t get? bbb (this year) mullett 2 yrs ago, wood, black (b4 he went to geelong) dumont, tarrent....what me to go on?
These are the views of at least 2 Managers and I think they have some merit. ultimately if a player does not want to be at a club, they wont be. managers try and get the best deal for their player, but the player has the last say....if we were such a bad club to deal with, we would have seen a lot more players leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back