Past #42: Declan Mountford - delisted by NMFC on 04 October 2018 - thanks and good luck Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

My name is Spider Burton, I played 147 games. Google it.

Spider Burton plays in the bush. ...and he eats fly pies! When he falls over he breaks a leg - any leg.
Spider just loves playin' eight ball pool. He gets tangles by weaving around. And spider says 'Don't bug me!'

32.png.opt535x637o0%2C0s535x637.png

Spider Burton plays in the bush. ...and he eats fly pies! When he falls over he breaks a leg - any leg.
Spider just loves playin' eight ball pool. He gets tangles by weaving around. And spider says 'Don't bug me!'

32.png.opt535x637o0%2C0s535x637.png
I love google.
Fly Schwatta plays on Good Friday. ...and he eats flyed rice. When he goes swattin' - Watch for Spider Burton.
Schwatta loves fly-by points. He rushes the ball with a giant swatter. ...and he says 'Ave a good weekend.'

48.png

Your looking for rats that don’t exist.
Do you honestly believe the Club gives a s**t about what a handful of faceless posters put up on a forum!
I’m standing up for the young guys that get bagged by posters like you that bag first and think later.
Each of these guys haven’t developed the thick skin yet. They read posts and it does effect them. Posters just shrug it off because they hide behind nicknames.
I haven’t met any of the youngsters you listed but I know what they would be going through.
Gibbo, Spitta, LT, Waitie, Goldie all don’t give a s**t about our opinions.
If you post bullshit on any player that’s factually wrong, then yeah I’ll call you out.
That was the case on each player you mention.
I do support NM otherwise I wouldn’t post.
Sorry if you don’t like what I post but just like you I won’t lose a lot of sleep.
Really? FMD If any of our young players are affected by what is posted about them on this forum, Then God help them with their AFL career. And God help the NMFC.

Chris Masiero - I'm not much to google anymore I'm afraid.

I think its the language that makes it personal. Bigfooty can be a learning curve - sometimes its OK to call people names, other times its not. You'll get the hang of it.

I like your glasses.

guidos.jpg

chris_Happy1-1024x474.jpg

My name is Peter North, look me up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love this bloke. Always has a crack. I hope the one year deal keeps him on his toes and he has a cracking 2018.

22 guaranteed games on the wing.

Then it's all up to him.

I don't see a strong go home desire for Declan. He comes from a farm about 5 hours drive from Perth. He wouldn't have time to get down there much if he were playing in Perth.

He only spent one season playing mainly Colts in Perth. Not sure how many close friends he would have made in that time. One of his former teammates is with the blue and yellow drugscum and one is at Carlton. I would think he would have better friends at North.He probably realizes also that Melbourne is a much better place than Perth.

I don't see a strong go home desire for Declan. He comes from a farm about 5 hours drive from Perth. He wouldn't have time to get down there much if he were playing in Perth.

He only spent one season playing mainly Colts in Perth. Not sure how many close friends he would have made in that time. One of his former teammates is with the blue and yellow drugscum and one is at Carlton. I would think he would have better friends at North.He probably realizes also that Melbourne is a much better place than Perth.

Congrats on the restraint. Most people aren't as kind when describing WC. I know I'm not.

I dont mean to sound rude, but this has been to death in this thread heh.

Its a pity its only 12 months as this is perhaps the worst thread on the entire board that I have come across. (yet I keep coming back hehe)

Your looking for rats that don’t exist.
Do you honestly believe the Club gives a s**t about what a handful of faceless posters put up on a forum!
I’m standing up for the young guys that get bagged by posters like you that bag first and think later.
Each of these guys haven’t developed the thick skin yet. They read posts and it does effect them. Posters just shrug it off because they hide behind nicknames.
I haven’t met any of the youngsters you listed but I know what they would be going through.
Gibbo, Spitta, LT, Waitie, Goldie all don’t give a s**t about our opinions.
If you post bullshit on any player that’s factually wrong, then yeah I’ll call you out.
That was the case on each player you mention.
I do support NM otherwise I wouldn’t post.
Sorry if you don’t like what I post but just like you I won’t lose a lot of sleep.
Are you Declan by any chance?
Hang around your input is valued

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2017-11-22/mountford-last-man-in

With the sun beating down and the mercury tipping 35 degrees at Arden St, the final whistle sounded to end a testing three-hour main training session.

As the majority of players headed indoors for some much deserved relief from the heat, Declan Mountford stayed out on the track to do some ‘extras’ and push himself even further.

Before grabbing any water or Gatorade, the 20-year old spent a considerable amount of time kicking and marking balls in quick succession with help from development coaches Gavin Brown and Ben Dyer, and VFL coach David Loader.

“I went through my individual development plans last week and kicking was an area that I can definitely improve,” Mountford told NMFC.com.au immediately after he’d finally called ‘time’ on the session.

“I’ve also been doing a bit of work with Boomer [Brent Harvey] after training, working on more elite skills like breaking the lines.

“I’ll work as hard as I can to improve before games start next year and while the games are on, because you can always get better no matter the time of year.”

Known for his work ethic and hard-nosed attitude, the pacey youngster had a wake-up call following the 2017 season when a contract extension wasn’t forthcoming, like he had perhaps anticipated.

“I was a little bit surprised because I was working as hard as I could,” he admitted.

“I didn’t have much control over the situation. I was waiting on the club to see if they wanted to extend me or not, so I just kept concentrating on all things that I could keep improving on. I was keeping fit, I got a little bit stronger and did all the little things that count.”

Mountford headed home to the family farm in Albany, Western Australia, to clear his head, all the while maintaining a positive frame of mind and strong body.

“That was one thing I knew; I could always hold my head high knowing I was doing the work. If I had have been given the chop, I knew I did everything I could have in order to get another deal,” he said.

“The people around me said I just had to keep working as hard as I possibly could and keep improving every year … there’s really not much else you can do.

“I had my head down all year, not screwed up or done [sic] nothing wrong but obviously it is a good reminder that your career can go quick.”

Mountford said the reality of his situation hit home the hardest when Corey Wagner was delisted.

“Two years has flown by for me now and seeing first-hand what happened to Corey, who is probably one of my best mates here, you see how quickly it can happen and turn for the worse and not through anything other than the club changing its approach or direction.

“When I went back to WA, I spent a bit of time on the farm and had a bit of time up in Perth with my sisters and friends and tried to keep things pretty normal.

“I was just hoping that it would play out in my favour and it did. The club was good enough to give me another year.”

One week into the pre-season and with a new deal under his belt, it’s already clear that Mountford will be fighting to prove his doubters wrong.

“I think it’s safe to say I’ll always be one of the last blokes, if not the last, in after training.”

Still slightly perplexed why we played hardball with extending a kid with a first class attitude to his craft and who presents in impeccable shape when we often hand out contract rollovers like they're McCafe loyalty cards.

I think the Swallow and Daw (over-)contract extensions made us a bit wary of handing out long-term contracts.

That's probably it but was a strange type of player to overcompensate on. ie an interstate kid throwing everything into trying to make it and showing good signs in the seniors.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2017-11-22/mountford-last-man-in

Still slightly perplexed why we played hardball with extending a kid with a first class attitude to his craft and who presents in impeccable shape when we often hand out contract rollovers like they're McCafe loyalty cards.

Our list management leaves so much to be desired its not funny. He should have been signed up in his first year on the back of his VFL form. From all accounts he is a really good kid who is arguably the hardest worker (of the young guys) at the club along with Hibberd.

I don't see where the downside is with his kid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back