Past #42: Tom Lynch - officially retires from the AFL as a player

Remove this Banner Ad

He was recruited to circumvent the soft cap primarily as a coach. So the assessments on his competition for a spot isn't as relevant. But let's be honest here, if any of our mid sized forwards put numbers out like Tom did last year we would be absolutely creaming ourselves. He can play, but is here to coach
He played 6 games late last year and averaged 22.333 possessions and 1 goal per game.

Better stats than Tarryn over the last 6 games.

He was recruited to circumvent the soft cap primarily as a coach. So the assessments on his competition for a spot isn't as relevant. But let's be honest here, if any of our mid sized forwards put numbers out like Tom did last year we would be absolutely creaming ourselves. He can play, but is here to coach
If he's being recruited primarily as a coach, then it seems stupid to waste a list spot on him, and particularly in a part of the ground where we already have surplus talent.

I would argue that apart from larkey, lynch would be our only real established key tall forward.
Sure we have younger guys coming through; CCJ, Comben and Xerri but nobody really established if sh*t hits the fan during one of Zurhaars cooking adventures and a few of the younger guys go down.
I've been harsh on the guy in the past on here but I can understand the pick as an absolute last resort cover decision.
We're not expecting him to play every game or even a handful but it's probably the difference between having 3rd party and full comprehensive insurance.
Except he's not a key tall forward. If that's where we are looking to play him, we're going backwards because 1) he doesn't play that role, and 2) I'd rather give the talent we do have to play that role, more opportunity; CCJ, Comben, Xerri, Edwards..

If he's being recruited primarily as a coach, then it seems stupid to waste a list spot on him, and particularly in a part of the ground where we already have surplus talent.
Everyone just points to port doing it with Goldsack to keep his money out of the soft cap also. These are outliers not what we should be aiming for hiding money here and there. Just pay people under the soft cap if they want more then tell them to look elsewhere

Tell you what I’d love to have a peep at our books because me thinks some are getting overpaid if we can’t fit a dev coach salary in the soft cap

I think the idea of creating a development coaching role out of a rookie list spot for a part of the ground we have a surplus of talent in is great idea. I'd rather convert the fwds we have into elite talent than bring in pick 70 odd of the pool

Everyone just points to port doing it with Goldsack to keep his money out of the soft cap also. These are outliers not what we should be aiming for hiding money here and there. Just pay people under the soft cap if they want more then tell them to look elsewhere

Tell you what I’d love to have a peep at our books because me thinks some are getting overpaid if we can’t fit a dev coach salary in the soft cap
We already have a handful of rookies on the rookie list capable of developing into senior footballers, and took 5 kids at the draft. What's the obsession to consistently bring in new cattle if the market thinks the beef stinks

I think the idea of creating a development coaching role out of a rookie list spot for a part of the ground we have a surplus of talent in is great idea. I'd rather convert the fwds we have into elite talent than bring in pick 70 odd of the pool
It could be a really great idea.

A chance to have someone coaching onfield during games. Immediate feedback.

He doesn't have to play many senior games or any. HE could probably do some really good work one on one with guys in the VFL during games. Keep them focused on specific things even late in quarters for example. Intensive coaching for Comben, Xerri, Edwards and CCJ if he gets dropped. And even with Larkey (or any of them) in the seniors if he (they) would benefit from onfield coaching.

As much as I'd love us to win the flag this year I know the odds are more in favour of us finsihing outside the eight. Possibly as high as a 60% chance we finish outside the 8.

So its a good opportunity to try stuff like that as part of the earlier development of players. You often hear younger players talking about the benefits of playing with the older guys. This could take advantage of that dynamic and really intensify their development.

We already have a handful of rookies on the rookie list capable of developing into senior footballers, and took 5 kids at the draft. What's the obsession to consistently bring in new cattle if the market thinks the beef stinks
I’d rather both

Keep coaches within the soft cap and not on playing lists

Would rather keep the spot open for MSD, get another Jacob Edwards type who dominates the first half of the year

Mentioned this on Comben's - actually it was the r1 v Hawks thread but it bears repeating.

CHarlie's best position looks like CHF to me, and probably a few others too. He is mobile, athletic, can crash packs and mark or bring the ball to ground and he has a good boot.

IMO Tom Lynch was absolutely brilliant for the Crows in that role. His ability to link up play always stayed with me so when we made this announcement I thought it was great.

Honestly Lynch and Comben in the same side, mostly in the VFL but even seniors, I think it will be fantastic. Lynch could give Comben real time feeback on field ("See that bloke, watch him, when he goes there we/you go to the wing/centre circle/push hard to the goalsquare/go over there" sort of thing as it happens. Or "Next time go two seconds earlier, when you see that happen/do this instead of that") That could seriously do wonders for Charlie's development and fast track it by a couple of years. Having him around to give standard coaching feedback is pretty darn good in itself but that added potential during a few early vfl or pre season games is something I'd love to take advantage of.

Of course Comben could be good enough to push into seniors first round as well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mentioned this on Comben's - actually it was the r1 v Hawks thread but it bears repeating.

CHarlie's best position looks like CHF to me, and probably a few others too. He is mobile, athletic, can crash packs and mark or bring the ball to ground and he has a good boot.

IMO Tom Lynch was absolutely brilliant for the Crows in that role. His ability to link up play always stayed with me so when we made this announcement I thought it was great.

Honestly Lynch and Comben in the same side, mostly in the VFL but even seniors, I think it will be fantastic. Lynch could give Comben real time feeback on field ("See that bloke, watch him, when he goes there we/you go to the wing/centre circle/push hard to the goalsquare/go over there" sort of thing as it happens. Or "Next time go two seconds earlier, when you see that happen/do this instead of that") That could seriously do wonders for Charlie's development and fast track it by a couple of years. Having him around to give standard coaching feedback is pretty darn good in itself but that added potential during a few early vfl or pre season games is something I'd love to take advantage of.

Of course Comben could be good enough to push into seniors first round as well.
Given how many 10 possession .5 goal hff we have carried for years, we now have a coach whose game was built on high iq and work rate. If zurhaar or ford is getting 20 a game and couple goals we are flying

Is it an extra coach though?
You’d have to compare how many coaches each club has to ensure we aren’t overpaying anyone
Well no one has been given the arse, we have a forward coach already and he is a new addition. I'd say that qualifies as extra. If you want to look at the financials of 17 other clubs be my guest. But as it stands he is an addition to the existing team. The soft cap also refers to other departments such as recruiting, medical and fitness staff. So coach wages are just a small piece of a puzzle. We have recently brought in some highly regarded staff in those other areas, so being able to utilise a list spot to allow spending in other critical areas is a master stroke. But you keep rotating your tyres on coaches salaries or some kid that was on no ones draft board.

And up until Christmas you wanted him paid under the vfl cap, leaving a can of coke and a mars bar per game for the other vfl players.

Well no one has been given the arse, we have a forward coach already and he is a new addition. I'd say that qualifies as extra. If you want to look at the financials of 17 other clubs be my guest. But as it stands he is an addition to the existing team. The soft cap also refers to other departments such as recruiting, medical and fitness staff. So coach wages are just a small piece of a puzzle. We have recently brought in some highly regarded staff in those other areas, so being able to utilise a list spot to allow spending in other critical areas is a master stroke. But you keep rotating your tyres on coaches salaries or some kid that was on no ones draft board.

And up until Christmas you wanted him paid under the vfl cap, leaving a can of coke and a mars bar per game for the other vfl players.

Given the vfl cap you mean one can of coke and mars bar between all of them yeah?

Funny how certain phrases just straight away set off certain songs in your mind. Every time anybody says that "Fell in love with a girl" by The White Stripes goes around my head for the rest of the day.
You left brain should know all earworms are fleeting.

BTW Charlie if you haven't seen this.

Cheers mate. Who'd have thought that "Karma Chameleon" and "God Save the Queen" are the best songs to drive out an earworm? And how about this:
In the most severe cases where the earworms are overwhelming, a physician may prescribe antidepressants
o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back