Player Watch #45 Hugo Ralphsmith

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit ludicrous to say Cumberland will be better than Caddy if he stays. He's been injured practically his first year and interrupted season this year. Apart from the pies reserves game he hasn't shown alot. Personally I'd rather caddy not play if it's on a wing. I think the Tiges have got to start shying away from kids from Queensland as the standard is bloody ordinary so it's hard to judge how good they really are.

Yep, I'll take that critique on the chin at this stage. He has traits that can be developed and provided he stays in our system I think they will be developed. We both know he is a bigger chance to be a bust but he has an attitude and skills if his body stays OK.

I think we didn't trade him cause there's no interest. He's at his 3rd club and still doesn't have an obvious AFL position.
48 goals in 2018. Not good enough?
Good enough to play as a forward again. For some club you'd think.
Or we draft a ready to go tall forward and play him next season. Or play Ralph/RCD as a 3rd fwd.
I hope Cumberland stays on the list.

48 goals in 2018. Not good enough?
Good enough to play as a forward again. For some club you'd think.
Or we draft a ready to go tall forward and play him next season. Or play Ralph/RCD as a 3rd fwd.
I hope Cumberland stays on the list.
Probably the key word is in 2018. He's not a traditional small/medium and while he did play well as a pseudo KPF supporting Jack, is any other club really going to target a 186cm second/third tall? He just doesn't have an obvious fit for us and likely for other clubs.

Problem is, he's probably too good for state leagues, he's a very stuck in the middle player. I expect he will be depth for us in 2022, break in for the odd game here and there when his VFL form demands, but probably not on an AFL list in 2023.

Yep, I'll take that critique on the chin at this stage. He has traits that can be developed and provided he stays in our system I think they will be developed. We both know he is a bigger chance to be a bust but he has an attitude and skills if his body stays OK.
A bigger chance to be a bust, I think that undersells him a bit. We haven't seen a lot of him, but he as a lot of tools and seems to have the aggression, which takes you a long way in footy.

A bigger chance to be a bust, I think that undersells him a bit. We haven't seen a lot of him, but he as a lot of tools and seems to have the aggression, which takes you a long way in footy.

Absolutely it undersells him, but my bust comment is more a statistical thing, the number of players with an ACL in their first year that go on are not high, that is where my bust comment comes from. I've seen the kid play up here, and I know it's only Qld, but I've said before and happy to say again, he has (or had) some Dusty like traits in contests (traits people - not the next Dusty!). He backs himself, he invents ways through traffic at times. Has great lateral vision and spots up teammates by hand and foot when others may not. He's learning to trust his body again and this pre-season is pivotal.

But back to Hugo..... what do you think of TOO's Kieth Grieg's traits?

I liked the look of Cumberland too. Very unfortunate that he was delisted. That's why I keep crapping about Caddys wasted list spot and list management.
Caddy can play football. His resume reads better than Dunstan, Stengle, Finlayson. Who all found new clubs.
I would spill about 14 positions, and work on a game plan. Rule 1: lower eyes going inside 50. .

Really need to play Hugo round 1 on the wing instead of Pickett, and make the tough call. Lots of upside to the mullet. Pickett looks in all likelihood to have hit his ceiling.

We are uniting quite an exciting, damaging and *ing fast back flank/wing group: Shorty and Daniel Rioli off the flanks, Hugo and KMac on the wings, with Stacky a useful utility if his forward tryst doesn't work out.

Absolutely it undersells him, but my bust comment is more a statistical thing, the number of players with an ACL in their first year that go on are not high, that is where my bust comment comes from. I've seen the kid play up here, and I know it's only Qld, but I've said before and happy to say again, he has (or had) some Dusty like traits in contests (traits people - not the next Dusty!). He backs himself, he invents ways through traffic at times. Has great lateral vision and spots up teammates by hand and foot when others may not. He's learning to trust his body again and this pre-season is pivotal.

But back to Hugo..... what do you think of TOO's Kieth Grieg's traits?
Keith Greig, I don't see it. He was one of the greatest wingman of all time and a low to the ground beautifully balanced footballer. Hugo doesn't strike me that way, more upright and straight ahead.

I'm not as sold on Hugo as some on here. Doesn't seem a natural accumulator, maybe not a natural reader of the play. Even at VFL level he didn't really jump out. But he's been there 5 minutes and he has good speed, size and athleticism and seems to have some aerial game which would be nice for a wingman if that is where he is destined. Reckon he could do with a bit of early footy off the half back where he can use his assets a bit like Melbourne's Langdon or Hunt. The wing half forward is a hard position to play. Reckon he would go okay of the HB until he learned the game a bit more.

Last edited:
That happens to plenty of blokes -can assure you. They are told they have played their last senior game and they are on such good money that they hang in there fulfilling their contract. Would you? Maybe, if it was 250K PLUS and nothing sorted yet outside of footy you might. It is a very nuanced situation for all. Simple enough for the footy fan (just fcuk him off they yell) but there are a lot of boxes to tick these days.

Caddy may not play another senior game. He may have fallen out, he may be struggling with form, injury, personally, may even have other intrinsic values within - bottom line is his contract is there for a reason.

Pretty brave prognostication. Part of me wants Sampson to be a success but I just cannot see it - he was OK at Sherwood but not really as dominant as you would like for this next step to be a real chance.

Frankly I think Caddy became damaged goods - he was Pick7 for a reason and could have been quite a devastating player (was still pretty good as a Premiership player). To underline this Essendon tried to poach him after his first season, North, Saints and Cats after his second. If Cumberland can stay within the Richmond system he will be better than Caddy.

Don't mind your call on Hugo, there are some traits, but gee he has a way to go.

Dow this coming season and what it might mean for Bolton could be fascinating!

Cumberland is an elite left foot kick something we lack but desire! It’s the same reason l will be happy with Ward at pick 7

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Keith Greig, I don't see it. He was one of the greatest wingman of all time and a low to the ground beautifully balanced footballer. Hugo doesn't strike me that way, more upright and straight ahead.

I'm not as sold on Hugo as some on here. Doesn't seem a natural accumulator, maybe not a natural reader of the play. Even at VFL level he didn't really jump out. But he's been there 5 minutes and he has good speed, size and athleticism and seems to have some aerial game which would be nice for a wingman if that is where he is destined. Reckon he could do with a bit of early footy off the half back where he can use his assets a bit like Melbourne's Langdon or Hunt. The wing half forward is a hard position to play. Reckon he would go okay of the HB until he learned the game a bit more.

Very much agree with the Half Back education

It's going to be a long and miserable season if Caddy gets games.
So judgemental there. How about you back him in, he can play the game and reportedly has had some dramas to deal with in recent times.
I’m hoping if he did have issues, he’s over them and can therefore give his all this preseason and the season proper. Caddy can play the game! He’s tough as they come, is a very good kick and goal kicker. Good team man too. He’s got next season to get it together, if he can’t, then as you say, likely goneski.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So judgemental there. How about you back him in, he can play the game and reportedly has had some dramas to deal with in recent times.
I’m hoping if he did have issues, he’s over them and can therefore give his all this preseason and the season proper. Caddy can play the game! He’s tough as they come, is a very good kick and goal kicker. Good team man too. He’s got next season to get it together, if he can’t, then as you say, likely goneski.
Seriously Tigger61 go to Specsavers and you forgot mention he's slow as dog s**t drying

Caddy’s in your face aggression gave a huge lift to our playing group… along with Nankervis and Cotchin’s leadership it helped give us the hard edge that we’d not had since 1982.

Caddy’s in your face aggression gave a huge lift to our playing group… along with Nankervis and Cotchin’s leadership it helped give us the hard edge that we’d not had since 1982.

Caddy's in-your face aggression saw him giving away silly 50m penalties.
Grateful for his contribution, but three years' past his best football and counting.
Could barely muster a game when we had more injuries than the second level of Dandenong Hospital.
Moving on.

Seriously Tigger61 go to Specsavers and you forgot mention he's slow as dog sh*t drying
Cut the insults Mate! My vision is fine and yes, he ain’t the quickest. But he has other attributes others don’t. I’m prepared to back him in a bit, you clearly aren’t. That’s ok, that’s your choice.

Probably the key word is in 2018. He's not a traditional small/medium and while he did play well as a pseudo KPF supporting Jack, is any other club really going to target a 186cm second/third tall? He just doesn't have an obvious fit for us and likely for other clubs.

Problem is, he's probably too good for state leagues, he's a very stuck in the middle player. I expect he will be depth for us in 2022, break in for the odd game here and there when his VFL form demands, but probably not on an AFL list in 2023.
The type of fwd whom modern (dare i say it, Richmond) system type defenses render ineffective. Plus does he run the other way?

The game has changed in 3-4 years. Other posters need to stop living in the past.

Cut the insults Mate! My vision is fine and yes, he ain’t the quickest. But he has other attributes others don’t. I’m prepared to back him in a bit, you clearly aren’t. That’s ok, that’s your choice.
Look t61 the coaching staff didn't back him in the end and kids and Parker got games before him. You're still in 19 mode. Wake up we're hitting 22.

This kid is going to surprise a lot this year.

Spent his first year in the hub on the Gold Coast and last year managed to get 6 games under his belt plus some great VFL performances.

I think he’ll take a big step forward this year.

Some highlights from his VFL form for those that missed it.

This kid is going to surprise a lot this year.

Spent his first year in the hub on the Gold Coast and last year managed to get 6 games under his belt plus some great VFL performances.

I think he’ll take a big step forward this year.

Some highlights from his VFL form for those that missed it.
Possibly. Certainly didn't look out of place at the next level for his first 6 games as a young fella, without having much impact though. Will definitely need to do a lot more when he gets his next chance if he wants to be a regular, and there are now some talented new recruits preparing themselves to take their opportunity too.

Possibly. Certainly didn't look out of place at the next level for his first 6 games as a young fella, without having much impact though. Will definitely need to do a lot more when he gets his next chance if he wants to be a regular, and there are now some talented new recruits preparing themselves to take their opportunity too.
Our next winger in waiting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back