Play Nice 45th President of the United States: Donald Trump - Part 17: Old Man Yells At Crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Mod Notice
* Thread monitored actively. User who drag it down will be removed

Specifically: reference to TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) and its counterpart 'Trumpanzee' or anything similar will no longer be allowed.

Personal attacks are also to be kept to a minimum.

As always, please submit ideas for the thread title by tagging me! Winner announced when I get around to it.

Joe Biden, 46th President Thread is over there ->

Presidential Election Aftermath thread is here ->

It's funny I'm well aware that most MAGA supports are racist/fascist types but it still blows my mind they still get behind Trump.

I assume it's like anyone who has been conned, you feel stupid for being conned.
They've invested so much emotionally and financially in a lot of cases that it becomes hard to walk away.

They've invested so much emotionally and financially in a lot of cases that it becomes hard to walk away.
I also think the true number of MAGA faithful is grossly overaggerated (largely by them being very loud on their platforms in message and frequency).

I also think the true number of MAGA faithful is grossly overaggerated (largely by them being very loud on their platforms in message and frequency).
I'm not sure, from what you hear it's about 25% of US Republicans.

No idea how many around the world. There are plenty in Australia, from my experience all fairly similar to the US ones...maybe even a bit more extreme

No idea how many around the world. There are plenty in Australia, from my experience all fairly similar to the US ones...maybe even a bit more extreme
Its the aussie Trumpers that really perplex me.

US politics has been a cult of personality or footy game for awhile, so you kinda get how they end up with some of the more extreme natives over there. But imagine being an Australian, worshiping a politician in another country who couldn't find Australia on a map and wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Just mind boggling.

I heard somewhere that each party have a number like that who are on the extreme of that party, and cannot be swayed by any reasoning. That's why primaries often degenerate in races to the crazy.

As to breaking down MAGA, I think most, like ones we see in those rally interviews, are Fox/conservative media zombies. They are within that bubble and are least likely to dump Trump, unless told to. They possibly think he is a genius because they believe his TV show was real.
A smaller percent are cynical, truly hate-filled racist types who have latched onto the MAGA thing. They aren't there to follow Trump or even the GOP. Their flow converges with the GOP ATM.

More than that.

As I’ve said in this thread before, con artists exploit a fatal flaw in human personality - when some people first dimly realise they’re being ripped off, they don’t just fail to walk away, they actually dig in even deeper and throw good money after bad. THAT’S when the really skilful ripoff artists make their serious money.

I heard somewhere that each party have a number like that who are on the extreme of that party, and cannot be swayed by any reasoning. That's why primaries often degenerate in races to the crazy.

As to breaking down MAGA, I think most, like ones we see in those rally interviews, are Fox/conservative media zombies. They are within that bubble and are least likely to dump Trump, unless told to. They possibly think he is a genius because they believe his TV show was real.
A smaller percent are cynical, truly hate-filled racist types who have latched onto the MAGA thing. They aren't there to follow Trump or even the GOP. Their flow converges with the GOP ATM.

No offence Spearman but I've found Americans to be quite gullible when I've been to the USA or encountered them overseas.
Not just Americans though as the Trump supporters here that I know also believe he was a masterful businessman and great author ( Art of the Deal lol)

Doesn't surprise me that they can be conned.
The other aspect of MAGA is the Qanon, conspiracy theory devotees who believe Trump is the saviour , JFK jnr is still alive , Biden and the Clintons are dead , the Whitehouse is a TV stage and any other manner of batshit crazy theories. I think they are a subset of his base and will never , ever change their opinions.
Dumb as dogshit but immovable in their loyalty to the stable genius :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offence Spearman but I've found Americans to be quite gullible when I've been to the USA or encountered them overseas.
Not just Americans though as the Trump supporters here that I know also believe he was a masterful businessman and great author ( Art of the Deal lol)

Doesn't surprise me that they can be conned.
The other aspect of MAGA is the Qanon, conspiracy theory devotees who believe Trump is the saviour , JFK jnr is still alive , Biden and the Clintons are dead , the Whitehouse is a TV stage and any other manner of batshit crazy theories. I think they are a subset of his base and will never , ever change their opinions.
Dumb as dogshit but immovable in their loyalty to the stable genius :eek:
We're in agreement. It was quite a disappointment when I realized that the ideals, myths, and general best country in the worldness weren't correct. I've done a lot of traveling around the world, and began to get discouraged about them the first time I returned home after an extended trip. So many of them are insular and myopic.

The Greatest Generation gave us the Boomers and its been downhill ever since. I think a lot of the blame might be in the explosion of media. I used to read a lot and be outside until it was dark. I had Nat.Geo Mags at home to fire the imagination, and only 3~4 channels on the TV. When I got to college cable started to come in and it became too easy to be a couch potato. Now there too much informations flooding in and they aren't trained to think critically. Actually on another board I posted that the curriculum at US public schools should be altered to include just that, critical thinking about what media presents, including social media and advertising. People are too easily taken by theses snake oil salesmen.

We're in agreement. It was quite a disappointment when I realized that the ideals, myths, and general best country in the worldness weren't correct. I've done a lot of traveling around the world, and began to get discouraged about them the first time I returned home after an extended trip. So many of them are insular and myopic.

The Greatest Generation gave us the Boomers and its been downhill ever since. I think a lot of the blame might be in the explosion of media. I used to read a lot and be outside until it was dark. I had Nat.Geo Mags at home to fire the imagination, and only 3~4 channels on the TV. When I got to college cable started to come in and it became too easy to be a couch potato. Now there too much informations flooding in and they aren't trained to think critically. Actually on another board I posted that the curriculum at US public schools should be altered to include just that, critical thinking about what media presents, including social media and advertising. People are too easily taken by theses snake oil salesmen.

I’ve mentioned on here previously, after WW2 American High School used to have Civics classes part of which were critical thinking, learning to recognize propaganda & the big lie techniques (used so successfully by the Nazis).

Of course now that’s all gone & Civics in general is a much smaller part of most curriculum.

Can’t have people too educated to think, reason & critique in modern consumerist culture.

What I found most terrifying in my excursion down the Trump rabbit hole on Reddit the other night was how seemingly intelligent people can somehow imbue his narcissistic ramblings with layers of meaning to incorporate practically anything except what he actually say’s which really boils down to nothing more than me me me.

I’ve mentioned on here previously, after WW2 American High School used to have Civics classes part of which were critical thinking, learning to recognize propaganda & the big lie techniques (used so successfully by the Nazis).

Of course now that’s all gone & Civics in general is a much smaller part of most curriculum.

Can’t have people too educated to think, reason & critique in modern consumerist culture.

What I found most terrifying in my excursion down the Trump rabbit hole on Reddit the other night was how seemingly intelligent people can somehow imbue his narcissistic ramblings with layers of meaning to incorporate practically anything except what he actually say’s which really boils down to nothing more than me me me.

Just on that last point, my experience with Trumpies is that the majority wouldn't qualify for the "seemingly intelligent" label.

Don't know when it happened but I don't remember any civics in school. I graduated HS in 79. I tutor elementary kids here with US textbooks. The Social Studies have basic government structure and some tips on being a good citizen. Don't know what higher levels have.
You're right in that a civics course with a healthy ratio of media education is needed in this day and age. Much of the younger generation is savvy, but we need many more to be conscience of the insidious nature and capability of what is mainlined into their phones every minute. And not just politics.
It's the new version of 'stranger, danger'.

c9c7727b3c15913e0bb30e2644d3d04d.jpeg

Imagine - snow covered bridge - gates at either end and out from a hut at one end emerges 2 guards with a smaller figure in a very thick warm woollen overcoat

At the other end 2 more guards emerge - this time with a larger figure dressed similarly against the cold - white wispy hair struggling to stay in shape against the bitter cold wind

Both groups move towards the centre of the bridge - on either side of the bridge we see guns trained on both groups - tensions are at peak height

And across the cold space we clearly hear the question

''Do they have Big Macs in Moscow?''

The-Spy-Who-Came-in-from-the-Cold-Film-3.jpg
Greiner swapped for russian arms dealer , whelan left out?
Britneys coming home

Last edited:
Don't know when it happened but I don't remember any civics in school. I graduated HS in 79. I tutor elementary kids here with US textbooks. The Social Studies have basic government structure and some tips on being a good citizen. Don't know what higher levels have.
You're right in that a civics course with a healthy ratio of media education is needed in this day and age. Much of the younger generation is savvy, but we need many more to be conscience of the insidious nature and capability of what is mainlined into their phones every minute. And not just politics.
It's the new version of 'stranger, danger'.

I’ll try to find the article I read which specifically talked about teaching how to spot propaganda but this one talks about Civics declining in the 60’s in favor of standardized testing etc.

I’ll try to find the article I read which specifically talked about teaching how to spot propaganda but this one talks about Civics declining in the 60’s in favor of standardized testing etc.

Interesting article.
IIRC there were some aspects of those proposals back in the day, but they were at extra-curricula club level or similar.

While having deeper understanding about how your government gets things done, I think educating kids on the modern world, and dealing with all the stuff that is coming at them now is just as important, and not just politics. They need to be made aware of online predators, influencers, and scammers, Scared Straight for early teens. Hit them during junior high with the hard stuff and it could make a difference. We had an assembly then where a guy gave a talk on responsibility. His core point was you have the freedom to do whatever you want, but you also have to accept the consequences of each and every thing you do. For some reason his stories and examples struck a chord and probably saved me from some grief later on. Junior high now seems really a vulnerable time since kids have phones and are connected now.
My son went through the International American School system, they had mock Congress and UN sorts of things involving other similar international schools using the US system. But it was definitely the sort of thing that most kids didn't naturally want to join. It was for the truly motivated youngsters. It needs to be made a part of standard curriculum. I know I never considered joining those sorts of activities. I was a three sport jock who got stoned with the heads at lunch. :grinv1:

I'd love to know what these classified documents are. Knowing Trump it would be state secrets he could sell to his mate Putin or the Saudis.

Do you remember Hillary's unauthorized secret private server which she did government business on without government oversight. It contained classified material. Do you also remember that while under subpoena for the server she erased 30,000 emails claiming "privacy"?

Do you remember Hillary's unauthorized secret private server which she did government business on without government oversight. It contained classified material. Do you also remember that while under subpoena for the server she erased 30,000 emails claiming "privacy"?
At least she was IN government at the time

Unlike Trump who decided he could betray America with state top secret documents

while under subpoena for the server she erased 30,000 emails claiming "privacy"?
No this didn't happen.

Her lawyers went through the emails and picked out the private ones.

This doesn't negate the fact that she should not have had her own server. However this seems to have been an idea they got from the Bush administration.

No this didn't happen.

Her lawyers went through the emails and picked out the private ones.

This doesn't negate the fact that she should not have had her own server. However this seems to have been an idea they got from the Bush administration.
I swear the whataboutism by MAGA supporters is hilarious.

They even forgot she was cleared under Trumps watch.

Its the aussie Trumpers that really perplex me.

US politics has been a cult of personality or footy game for awhile, so you kinda get how they end up with some of the more extreme natives over there. But imagine being an Australian, worshiping a politician in another country who couldn't find Australia on a map and wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Just mind boggling.

I take a interest in US politics, but because I can't vote I feel like a spectator with no horse in the race, even though clearly their policies affect us in a lot of ways.

The rise of Trump has probably coincided with my interest, so remarkable he became President, his whole politics run has been the best reality show I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back