Player Watch #46: Ben Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

Solid game from Miller who held his own against Dixon until the dam wall burst and the ball started coming in too easily and quickly. Will be aided by the returns of Young and Broad which will give us a better structured back 6.

Would like to play him in the defence instead of grimes… I like his disposal and does well in most contests.

I’d love grimes to work with him defensively as his positioning sometimes isn’t great but that’s understandable with the amount he has been thrown around.

Hell of a bonus if Miller can stay afloat as a key defender. The backline would basically be sorted for the next 5+ years. He appears to sometimes gets the yips when he feels everyone is watching him. He has got the game he just has to be game to display it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hell of a bonus if Miller can stay afloat as a key defender. The backline would basically be sorted for the next 5+ years. He appears to sometimes gets the yips when he feels everyone is watching him. He has got the game he just has to be game to display it.

I felt like the backline looked more reactive this week than previous. Not sure if it was Miller /Grimes or just more purpose, but thought the backline looked faster & that was obviously because we had faster players. Thought Vlaustin also showed he is ready to take on the general role which is what we have desperately needed. I think that was Grimes main reason in the side and if Vloss can do it, i think its probably time for him to make a call so we have another pick at the mid-S-Draft. Not sure if Grimes would be up for being a VFL leader, nor do i think we should expect him to. He should retire a senior player.

I felt like the backline looked more reactive this week than previous. Not sure if it was Miller /Grimes or just more purpose, but thought the backline looked faster & that was obviously because we had faster players. Thought Vlaustin also showed he is ready to take on the general role which is what we have desperately needed. I think that was Grimes main reason in the side and if Vloss can do it, i think its probably time for him to make a call so we have another pick at the mid-S-Draft. Not sure if Grimes would be up for being a VFL leader, nor do i think we should expect him to. He should retire a senior player.

I think your points about speed are correct. Not sure we can afford Grimes to retire mid season unless he is totally shot. We are 1-2 tall defender injuries/suspensions away from the cupboard being completely bare at the moment. Our VFL Key Defenders are not AFL listed players. We have Gibcus LTI and possibly Fawcett as well. You don't need more than 1 or 2 picks in the MSD.

He’s better than Young

Not exactly a complement.

As for Miller, he done some good things today and had some poor moments to go with it. The best defenders in the game are proactive and Miller is far from that, The last goal of the game that Gulden kicked was also a very weak effort. Understandably he was tired but he jogging to that contest and had to find something in the moment.

Would continue to play him but neither he and Young are our future. With Balta going forward, we have a massive whole on our list in regards to key defenders.

I posted a couple of weeks ago that Richmond Football Club really let Ben Miller down

Both development and continuity
We have underdeveloped this man both in the reserves and seniors with his role and position.
Back Foward Ruck and even wing in some VFL games

How can a player settle and develop his craft if it changes not yearly but monthly?

Very good game by Miller now let the kid settle and become a full Back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back