Benny for the AFL CEO(?)

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL left it's grass roots and traditions when it expanded the competition and went on national tv.
With the payola from the selling of the tv rights it has become a business.
The business ain’t gunna be much good if the game and brand is despised at grass roots level .
Expansion into Thursday nights is another example of trying to improve its commercial ( tv rights ) value at the expense of grassroots . Most grassroots clubs hold Thursday night selection functions dinners and some are reporting a significant decline in revenue on evenings the AFL hold games .

I thought Benny was already the boss.
a75787c9ee9ad3cea8bc2747b0f6124e.jpg

Richmond’s Brendon Gale should be the next CEO of the AFL when Gillon McLachlan departs at the end of the 2022 season.
He won’t get the job though.

Gale, the Tigers’ CEO, has a couple of problems; he cares more about the fans and players and less about the business of making more money for the AFL.

I’ve obviously got no insider knowledge – and could be completely wrong - but the people who run the game on behalf of the clubs increasingly ignore the fans.

Football is now a sport designed entirely around a TV schedule with no thought to families with school age children who will grow — the AFL thinks — into the supporters of the future.

How else could you explain matches scheduled for Thursday nights before a school day with, depending on your suburb, a near-midnight home time.

No better are 7.50pm. Friday clashes or twilight Sundays with a ball bounce at 4.40pm in the middle of a Melbourne winter.

The search for Gillon McLachlan’s replacement is on and Richmond’s Brendon Gale would be a great choice. Picture: Alex Coppel.

The search for Gillon McLachlan’s replacement is on and Richmond’s Brendon Gale would be a great choice. Picture: Alex Coppel.
Clearly Thursday is for TV only unless you live in East Melbourne next to the MCG with your own car park or an apartment across the road from Marvel in Docklands.

Headquarters will argue the billions the media companies tip into the game gives them the right to call the shots on match timing but equally the atmosphere loyal fans add to the broadcast should be taken into account.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Stream The U.S. Report with James Morrow. Fridays 8:30pm AEST, Sky News on Flash.

Who could forget the dismal display AFL became during the Covid times when crowds were locked out and games went ahead in empty stadiums?

Going to games day or night is no longer the joyous experience it once was and for many has become an expensive painful chore done mainly to remain loyal to your team.

As a Richmond supporter and member – 28 years platinum reserved seat holder – who paid fully during the 2020 and 2021 seasons, even enduring a Grand Final win at home in Melbourne on the couch, I think, like many supporters, the AFL lets us down.

My own club was even forced to brag how last Sundays’ attendance of 39,391 was the fourth largest crowd for a home and away game against West Coast since 1990.

What’s worth crowing about in that figure, on a largely sunny Sunday during school holidays?

I went to that game in my seat and had an OK time, but something is missing. The MCG appeared to predict a smaller than expected attendance and shuttered most of the lower level bars in the Olympic stand. Getting in has become a task harder than boarding Jetstar flight at Tullamarine.

Once you have queued for a bag check and a wand wave – leftovers from terror attacks years ago – you then queue in another line while everyone turns their phones on and off trying to find digital tickets.

Getting into the MCG to watch a game of footy has become a task harder than boarding Jetstar flight at Tullamarine.

Getting into the MCG to watch a game of footy has become a task harder than boarding Jetstar flight at Tullamarine.
Inside, pre match entertainment consists of team banners that players these days appear not allowed to run through, rather going under.

At quarter time Richmond has a member trying to win cash by the impossible task of kicking a Sherrin into a bucket. At least when Jeep was a sponsor it was an athletic activity of sprinting to beat a Jeep across the line. Back then people even won sometimes.

We all know only too well that once the game starts the annoying rule changes Gil and the head office insisted upon, ruin the contest. Protected space – since altered – standing still on the mark for fear of a 50-metre penalty and the umpire interpretation of disrespect.

I’m sure in a quiet moment – and I haven’t spoken to him about this – Brendon (a 244-game robust ruckman) would find those three rules as a player frustrating and unnecessary.

But there’s another reason sadly why he won’t get the top job, one I think should qualify him above all other applicants.

I know it’s easy to sit on the sidelines and throw grenades at the AFL but they will hire consultants, and spend a fortune surveying supporters to find out why their crowds are in decline.

It’s simple really to work out. The game is too expensive for people struggling with the rising cost of fuel, food, energy and paying off the house.

Fixturing is not kind to the backbone of the AFL crowds and that’s suburban families forced to use public transport to get to just two Melbourne stadiums.

AFL wokeness and rule fiddling doesn’t go down well with your average footy fan and rule changes are robbing football of its spontaneity.

To rediscover the joy, more and more fans are turning to suburban AFL at grounds like Port Melbourne’s home ground North Port Oval in Williamstown Road or country footy like the Sorrento Sharks.

In SA and WA their local leagues deliver a more traditional version of the game we all grew up with.

As we all get older, we do get more nostalgic, and the good old days do seem much better than they really were, but memories are for savouring.

AFL ‘wokeness’, money-grabbing and pointless rule fiddling doesn’t go down well with average footy fans. Picture: Getty Images

AFL ‘wokeness’, money-grabbing and pointless rule fiddling doesn’t go down well with average footy fans. Picture: Getty Images
As a 10-year-old Sturt supporter in 1965 I was allowed to sleep outside the Victor Richardson gates at the Adelaide Oval to get the best seat for the Grand Final against the old enemy Port Adelaide.

A record crowd of 62,543 packed that famous ground that day a record that stood until 2017 and was only broken by an Adele concert.

Sturt tragically lost by three points but went on to win the next six flags in a row.

Even if I did lose my transistor radio in the crush to get into the 1966 Grand Final, it was one of the best days of my life as Sturt kicked nine goals to one in the last quarter.

And guess what? It wasn’t even live on TV.

For those that can’t view the article.

Richmond’s Brendon Gale should be the next CEO of the AFL when Gillon McLachlan departs at the end of the 2022 season.

Gale, the Tigers’ CEO, has a couple of problems; he cares more about the fans and players and less about the business of making more money for the AFL.

I’ve obviously got no insider knowledge – and could be completely wrong - but the people who run the game on behalf of the clubs increasingly ignore the fans.

Football is now a sport designed entirely around a TV schedule with no thought to families with school age children who will grow — the AFL thinks — into the supporters of the future.

How else could you explain matches scheduled for Thursday nights before a school day with, depending on your suburb, a near-midnight home time.

No better are 7.50pm. Friday clashes or twilight Sundays with a ball bounce at 4.40pm in the middle of a Melbourne winter.

Clearly Thursday is for TV only unless you live in East Melbourne next to the MCG with your own car park or an apartment across the road from Marvel in Docklands.

Headquarters will argue the billions the media companies tip into the game gives them the right to call the shots on match timing but equally the atmosphere loyal fans add to the broadcast should be taken into account.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Stream The U.S. Report with James Morrow. Fridays 8:30pm AEST, Sky News on Flash.

Who could forget the dismal display AFL became during the Covid times when crowds were locked out and games went ahead in empty stadiums?

Going to games day or night is no longer the joyous experience it once was and for many has become an expensive painful chore done mainly to remain loyal to your team.

As a Richmond supporter and member – 28 years platinum reserved seat holder – who paid fully during the 2020 and 2021 seasons, even enduring a Grand Final win at home in Melbourne on the couch, I think, like many supporters, the AFL lets us down.

My own club was even forced to brag how last Sundays’ attendance of 39,391 was the fourth largest crowd for a home and away game against West Coast since 1990.

What’s worth crowing about in that figure, on a largely sunny Sunday during school holidays?

I went to that game in my seat and had an OK time, but something is missing. The MCG appeared to predict a smaller than expected attendance and shuttered most of the lower level bars in the Olympic stand. Getting in has become a task harder than boarding Jetstar flight at Tullamarine.

Once you have queued for a bag check and a wand wave – leftovers from terror attacks years ago – you then queue in another line while everyone turns their phones on and off trying to find digital tickets.

Inside, pre match entertainment consists of team banners that players these days appear not allowed to run through, rather going under.

At quarter time Richmond has a member trying to win cash by the impossible task of kicking a Sherrin into a bucket. At least when Jeep was a sponsor it was an athletic activity of sprinting to beat a Jeep across the line. Back then people even won sometimes.

We all know only too well that once the game starts the annoying rule changes Gil and the head office insisted upon, ruin the contest. Protected space – since altered – standing still on the mark for fear of a 50-metre penalty and the umpire interpretation of disrespect.

I’m sure in a quiet moment – and I haven’t spoken to him about this – Brendon (a 244-game robust ruckman) would find those three rules as a player frustrating and unnecessary.

But there’s another reason sadly why he won’t get the top job, one I think should qualify him above all other applicants.

I know it’s easy to sit on the sidelines and throw grenades at the AFL but they will hire consultants, and spend a fortune surveying supporters to find out why their crowds are in decline.

It’s simple really to work out. The game is too expensive for people struggling with the rising cost of fuel, food, energy and paying off the house.

Fixturing is not kind to the backbone of the AFL crowds and that’s suburban families forced to use public transport to get to just two Melbourne stadiums.

AFL wokeness and rule fiddling doesn’t go down well with your average footy fan and rule changes are robbing football of its spontaneity.

To rediscover the joy, more and more fans are turning to suburban AFL at grounds like Port Melbourne’s home ground North Port Oval in Williamstown Road or country footy like the Sorrento Sharks.

In SA and WA their local leagues deliver a more traditional version of the game we all grew up with.

As we all get older, we do get more nostalgic, and the good old days do seem much better than they really were, but memories are for savouring.

As a 10-year-old Sturt supporter in 1965 I was allowed to sleep outside the Victor Richardson gates at the Adelaide Oval to get the best seat for the Grand Final against the old enemy Port Adelaide.

A record crowd of 62,543 packed that famous ground that day a record that stood until 2017 and was only broken by an Adele concert.

Sturt tragically lost by three points but went on to win the next six flags in a row.

Even if I did lose my transistor radio in the crush to get into the 1966 Grand Final, it was one of the best days of my life as Sturt kicked nine goals to one in the last quarter.

I still don't know what 'wokefullness' is. But I agree with the rest.

Unfortunately I reckon the AFL boys club will try and stop Benny. Hope others grow a pair and get rid of the waste that is AFL HQ's losers.

I still don't know what 'wokefullness' is. But I agree with the rest.

Unfortunately I reckon the AFL boys club will try and stop Benny. Hope others grow a pair and get rid of the waste that is AFL HQ's losers.
Ditto 'wokefullness'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wokeness or wokefullness is appealing to the woke. Woke us a term to describe those who have been brainwashed by left leaning educational institutions, media (ABC), and social media.
Oh so anything from the LEFT is brainwashed garbage...according to whom!? The sleepy unwashed!?

Oh so anything from the LEFT is brainwashed garbage...according to whom!? The sleepy unwashed!?
Not really I like a lot of left policies around taxation and care for environment etc. I don’t like appealing to minority groups and people who are too easy offended which is what the afl is doing. Absolutely hate cancel culture. Crowds are down because football is primarily a combative gladiatorial sport, not a virtue signalling platform for minorities and to be curtailed by over cautious controlling rules.

STAND STAND WELCOME TO COUNTRY DISSENT 50 M STAND STOP THE GENDER GAP PRIDE ROUND AFLW MEDIA EMBEDDED IN AFL. I personally just don’t like it and most fans don’t either. Evidence is voting with feet.

Not really I like a lot of left policies around taxation and care for environment etc. I don’t like appealing to minority groups and people who are too easy offended which is what the afl is doing. Absolutely hate cancel culture. Crowds are down because football is primarily a combative gladiatorial sport, not a virtue signalling platform for minorities and to be curtailed by over cautious controlling rules.

STAND STAND WELCOME TO COUNTRY DISSENT 50 M STAND STOP THE GENDER GAP PRIDE ROUND AFLW MEDIA EMBEDDED IN AFL. I personally just don’t like it and most fans don’t either. Evidence is voting with feet.
No idea what "cancel" culture is..."virtue" signals..."wokefullness"...canna get my head around these terms...like learning a foreign language...
I don't need to learn a foreign language...you "feel" me...

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Was a good article up until they started on wokeness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back