Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr

Remove this Banner Ad

Most players on our list get written off at some stage by the same posters year in year out.
It's a little bit funny (but mostly just sad) that as soon as one player manages to prove that he deserves a spot on the list and in the team, these same posters move on to the next raw recruit and begin a new campaign of unfair criticism. Sure, not every player that comes to the club will be a 200 game hall of famer, that stands to reason. But I really don't get the point to death riding young players from your own team. How is that fun?

It's a little bit funny (but mostly just sad) that as soon as one player manages to prove that he deserves a spot on the list and in the team, these same posters move on to the next raw recruit and begin a new campaign of unfair criticism. Sure, not every player that comes to the club will be a 200 game hall of famer, that stands to reason. But I really don't get the point to death riding young players from your own team. How is that fun?
Totally agree that is why i hate the whipping boy thread so much. The way i see it i wish that i was good enough just to play 1 game for the mighty Roos. Posters or some posters dont realise just hard it is to play AFL

So what's this bloke's pace really like?

I saw the Bobby Hill comparison suggested earlier. And RHJ does seem to have a bit of toe, but on my limited exposure of watching him in the VFL I can't recall any plays where he's put the jets on so hard its made me go "phwoooar" like Hill often does (or even Spicer would).

Maybe I just haven't watched him enough tho.

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing his skilfulness and creativity get a chance to be exposed at a senior level this year. Goes without saying it improves our forward line dynamic so much if he fulfills his promise.

Last edited:

I think that Curtis will fit more into the small forward category, going forward.

After he got dropped last year he ramped up his pressure and effort.
His tackles went from 1.1 to 3.5 per game.
His goal assists doubled from 0.6 to 1.2 per game.
His kicking inside 50 is elite. He should be aiming to get those tackle numbers above 4 with his improving tank.

Last edited:
Half these old bastards round here think the 4 players on the bench should only come on if someone is injured

The footage of him today turning Bergman inside out was beautiful. Bergman is no scrub when it comes to agility either and RJH made him look stupid.

In the same highlights he burst from a stoppage and kicks a nice long goal.

Plenty to takeaway just from those two little clips.

Did some things today that makes you think we may have found one. Aside from the clips, there was a couple of nice forward entries. Alternated wing/hf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bobby is going to be a very good small forward for us. Was able to watch some of his games before we drafted him and thought we really have to take him with our first selection {pick 2} in the mid-season draft. He is a quick learner of football and when I say he's got it, trust me he's got it. I thought 2025 will be when he starts to show what he is capable of, but I think you'll see glimpses this year,
Oh My God Reaction GIF
and it will be the "wow" factor!

The fact that he's put on some size, listened to our coaches on where he needs to improve and certain areas to be, and that one word I always bring up, the most important statistic in sports but very rarely gets a mention, confidence. I knew when we first picked Robert that we earmarked him for that small forward role, but to have a few of them doesn't hurt.

Some of the things he did in games just left you shaking your head, like "how the hell did he do that." He has the foot-skills, the speed and the know how to kick goals. Once he gets used to AFL football and the speed of the game, you'll find he will not be the only player this year, that you go, holy sh*t !

We haven't seen much of him at AFL level so there's that possibility of being one of the suprise packets in 2024.

Despite the very few amount of games in 2023, RHJ was actually showing promise. Getting to the right spots, pressure on the ball, crumbing, getting shots on goal etc. Just couldn't score from the opportunities he earned.

Another possibility is, he could be a real dangerous option at Marvel. Dry turf, fast movement and the perfect ground for agile-quick types. Just reckon we need to see him under the roof to get a genuine gauge at what he's capable of.

The footage of him today turning Bergman inside out was beautiful. Bergman is no scrub when it comes to agility either and RJH made him look stupid.

In the same highlights he burst from a stoppage and kicks a nice long goal.

Plenty to takeaway just from those two little clips.
His dad should have played at a higher level, not shocked the son has talent
There should be a classification warning about that for highly erotic vision

Remove this Banner Ad

Back