Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Remove this Banner Ad

Hogan definitely A Grade, add Gawn as well.
You could also argue Viney and Jetta in his position.

Viney's not A grade, he is one of the better inside midfielders but he doesn't do enough outside the contest
Jetta is an A grade stopper but he isn't damaging enough
Not that I'm a fan of the AFL player ratings but he's the 23rd ranked small defender in the AFL so rated in the elite
Viney is rated the 36th best midfielder .. not elite

I think the ratings are weighted to take in performances over a few years so it might not be accurate

Last edited:
I guess you probably could argue that he is already A grade couldn't you?

I'd have thought so.

Viney's not A grade, he is one of the better inside midfielders but he doesn't do enough outside the contest

I agree with Viney. He's a B+ on the cusp on A grade. Think Jetta is A grade though. There's very few that defend as well as him and are damaging with the ball as well. I think he also favours leaning on the defensive side of play rather than attack with how exposed we become defensively on turnovers. If we were more settled down back then I think he'd attack more.

I'd have thought so.

I agree with Viney. He's a B+ on the cusp on A grade. Think Jetta is A grade though. There's very few that defend as well as him and are damaging with the ball as well. I think he also favours leaning on the defensive side of play rather than attack with how exposed we become defensively on turnovers. If we were more settled down back then I think he'd attack more.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs but I'd call Jetta extremely reliable with the ball but not damaging
Shannon Byrnes and Matthew suckling are damaging
Jetta just hits up short targets often .. like I could never see someone playing a defensive forward role on him to stop his influence
Jettas a very solid B grader IMO

Topkent but which elite stoppers are also elite with the ball? Jetta is an A grade back pocket, I agree on Gawn and Hogan is on the cusp. Vineys best footy at AFL level is A grade, needs to be more consistent though and agree needs to do more outside the contest (Kick goals, loose ball in space, efficiency).

Maybe I'm splitting hairs but I'd call Jetta extremely reliable with the ball but not damaging
Shannon Byrnes and Matthew suckling are damaging
Jetta just hits up short targets often .. like I could never see someone playing a defensive forward role on him to stop his influence
Jettas a very solid B grader IMO

Shannon Byrnes? Hurn?

I don't think he needs to be a raking kick to be damaging. Can see him being able to run and take the game on (despite his average pace) more as the defence knows more about what it is doing. He's a very good player either way.

Shannon Byrnes? Hurn?

I don't think he needs to be a raking kick to be damaging. Can see him being able to run and take the game on (despite his average pace) more as the defence knows more about what it is doing. He's a very good player either way.

I wanna say that was auto correct but what the * was that about it
Topkent but which elite stoppers are also elite with the ball? Jetta is an A grade back pocket, I agree on Gawn and Hogan is on the cusp. Vineys best footy at AFL level is A grade, needs to be more consistent though and agree needs to do more outside the contest (Kick goals, loose ball in space, efficiency).

When I was projecting this conversation forward in my mind I figured that would be the next question and it's a fair one

Heath Shaw does both but he is probably the best, Rory Laird and Atkins at the crows are both quality stoppers and more dangerous with the ball
Kade Simpson is underrated with ball in hand and he's a very good defender
Ben Stratton at the Hawks is an excellent stopper and uses it well
Easton Wood is another

I guess it comes down to how many players you would consider A grade by percentage
Jettas a fantastic stopper but this year he is averaging 15 disposals which is a career high .. they aren't huge numbers

I wanna say that was auto correct but what the **** was that about it

When I was projecting this conversation forward in my mind I figured that would be the next question and it's a fair one

Heath Shaw does both but he is probably the best, Rory Laird and Atkins at the crows are both quality stoppers and more dangerous with the ball
Kade Simpson is underrated with ball in hand and he's a very good defender
Ben Stratton at the Hawks is an excellent stopper and uses it well
Easton Wood is another

I guess it comes down to how many players you would consider A grade by percentage
Jettas a fantastic stopper but this year he is averaging 15 disposals which is a career high .. they aren't huge numbers

All of those guys play loose more than a stopper (Except Stratton and Laird). Stratton averages less disposals per game and Laird is better than Jetta offensively but Jetta a better defender.

A heavily defensive back pocket is pretty niche these days, but a good one is very valuable. I'd argue Jetta is more damaging than you say as well because often he will beat a man, which helps a lot down field.

All of those guys play loose more than a stopper (Except Stratton and Laird). Stratton averages less disposals per game and Laird is better than Jetta offensively but Jetta a better defender.

A heavily defensive back pocket is pretty niche these days, but a good one is very valuable. I'd argue Jetta is more damaging than you say as well because often he will beat a man, which helps a lot down field.

I don't know if I'd consider Jetta a better defender than Laird he's a star but I can understand your side

Not that I'm a fan of the AFL player ratings but he's the 23rd ranked small defender in the AFL so rated in the elite
Viney is rated the 36th best midfielder .. not elite

I think the ratings are weighted to take in performances over a few years so it might not be accurate

Yeah, those rankings are weighted over a couple of seasons.
With Viney it would be interesting to see how he was tracking prior to hurting his hand

I believe the AFL player ratings had him as best on ground today

He honestly looks so much better than Brayshaw/Oliver/Tyson etc at the same stage of their careers

His ability to one touch in the wet and keep his feet was incredible
I think he has passed Hogan as our most exciting prospect
Once he starts nailing the arrogant goals he goes for he will be a superstar
Could be as early as next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He honestly looks so much better than Brayshaw/Oliver/Tyson etc at the same stage of their careers

Agree he is probably the best talent outside Hogan, but let's not compare him to Oliver till this time next year when Clarry has had a second year in the system.

Another thing I like about Petracca is that he seems to be the kind of guy who doesn't crack the sads and let his body language go to hell. I know it's early days, but he just seems like a tough MF. I think that helps by not giving your opponent a mental edge over you. Something Hogan desperately needs to learn because once somebody is successful at frustrating him, his opponent just has to keep doing it and that's it for Hoges for the day.

I'd like to see some friendly competition between Petracca and Hogan. I suspect it might bring out the best in both of them if they both want to be Melbourne's best player.

Another thing I like about Petracca is that he seems to be the kind of guy who doesn't crack the sads and let his body language go to hell. I know it's early days, but he just seems like a tough MF. I think that helps by not giving your opponent a mental edge over you. Something Hogan desperately needs to learn because once somebody is successful at frustrating him, his opponent just has to keep doing it and that's it for Hoges for the day.

I'd like to see some friendly competition between Petracca and Hogan. I suspect it might bring out the best in both of them if they both want to be Melbourne's best player.
You like him? I was all set to go with my happy Truck pictures.

Oh no, you don't have to convince me about the Truck! He's the man - killer attitude. If Jesse could be half as Truckulent, we wouldn't need the happy-Hoges pics.
Hogan is fine. You just like the smiley ones.

AFL ratings are a bit funny. Last I checked TMac was in the best 3 defenders and the bloke can't kick a drop punt..I think it takes into consideration things like the times of the game, score involvements etc. not sure if it is the best measure we have or over analytical?

Trac was good yesterday though, his disposal efficiency was amazing and probably boosted his rating.

He does damaging things with the ball. One bit of play he received the ball backward of centre and switched the ball quickly to the opposite wing and completely opened up the ground for a goal. The play was on, but the vision and executing was great.

AFL ratings are a bit funny. Last I checked TMac was in the best 3 defenders and the bloke can't kick a drop punt..I think it takes into consideration things like the times of the game, score involvements etc. not sure if it is the best measure we have or over analytical?
If your opinion of T-Mac is wildly different to the ratings ...
the problem isn't with the ratings.

Consider this, Hogan has kicked 83 goals in 36 games and people want to pay him a million dollars a season

Jurrah kicked 81 goals in 36 games and is now doing nothing
Liam Jurrah is the most talent wasted that I've ever seen
Jako has him covered easily.

Consider this, Hogan has kicked 83 goals in 36 games and people want to pay him a million dollars a season

Jurrah kicked 81 goals in 36 games and is now doing nothing
Liam Jurrah is the most talent wasted that I've ever seen
IMO Jurrah would be up with the the most talented player I have EVER seen. The guy was absolutely freakish. Jakovich in the category to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back