AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen enough to be bullish about him. He has top tier hands like Jobe. Looked a bit timid at times. Just a young cub at this stage.

Kicking deficiencies are there for sure. I think he will become an inside Bull. It’s not his feet that makes him special it’s his hands!

I time. He’s not ahead of Merrett, Durham, Caldwell, Stringer, Parish or Hobbs (IMO) for CBAs just yet. Could argue he should get the nod ahead of Perkins though while a few of those names are out.
He adds something different to those guys. Tall, quick and great acceleration.

One of Caldwell, Hobbs or Parish needs to make way and at this stage I'd say it's Hobbs.

I thought he did some nice things.. but it also holds true that it is a concern when a top 5 drafted midfielder is still scratching for a 'signature' play style in their 2nd year. Just not sure where he sits in the pecking order.

I thought we really missed parish/hobbs on the inside last night. I'd keep Tsatas in for a block of 4 games so you can evaluate where he is at.

We have to try and ignore the ladder position and continue to refine our list and keep building a future ready team.

I thought he did some nice things.. but it also holds true that it is a concern when a top 5 drafted midfielder is still scratching for a 'signature' play style in their 2nd year. Just not sure where he sits in the pecking order.

I thought we really missed parish/hobbs on the inside last night. I'd keep Tsatas in for a block of 4 games so you can evaluate where he is at.

We have to try and ignore the ladder position and continue to refine our list and keep building a future ready team.
most top 5 midfielders would've played more than the handful of full games he's had

I don't think he is "scratching for a 'signature' play style". He is a centre bounce midfielder with elite hands and accumulation who is playing on the wing. Look at the VFL team - our midfield capitulates without him.

He was good last night - needs a run at it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt if we put him in the guts for the full game he'd rack up enough touches and clearances for anybody to think he's worth being a top 5 pick. You can see what he does in the VFL for reference, the kid clearly knows how to find the ball. Similar to Hobbs though, it appears that Scott and the coaching staff are of the mindset that you need to do more than just touch the footy and bomb it down the line before you get a turn at playing there and there's a push to develop his game on the outside before letting him loose in the middle.

Trust the process. It worked for Durham and Caldwell - they were in the same position not 12 months ago.

How about those quick hands though? Gave him a task on MacIntosh too which I personally enjoyed.
The one over his shoulder as he drew the tackler in the last was sublime. Think he also had another couple throughout the game that opened up the play. Kicked a nice i50 when the only targets were Alwyn and Gresh that went to a spot only Gresh could (drop the) mark.

Last week in the last quarter he could've blazed away down the line, but instead turned inside and dished a handball to a free player streaming forward who found McGarth in the corridor (who promptly torched the play by bombing a big lollipop to 3 north defenders like he didn't even look).

It's those kind of possessions that lead to us putting scores up on the board, unlike his first handball where he drilled it at a bloke a metre away.

Thought his kicking looked better. Had a couple of nice handballs but we know he can do that.

In fairness I thought his play was more robust….still an area that can improve though. But didn’t see any really obvious “moments” unlike some of his game earlier this year.

Dunno….its not his fault we took at him at pick 5 so we can’t hold that over his head. He can only work to become the best player he can be and I think he’s doing that. How good that will be still isn’t clear to me.

I do think we can question the recruiting team for taking him at pick 5 - I am almost certain that he’s simply not the player they thought they were drafting.

The one over his shoulder as he drew the tackler in the last was sublime. Think he also had another couple throughout the game that opened up the play. Kicked a nice i50 when the only targets were Alwyn and Gresh that went to a spot only Gresh could (drop the) mark.

Last week in the last quarter he could've blazed away down the line, but instead turned inside and dished a handball to a free player streaming forward who found McGarth in the corridor (who promptly torched the play by bombing a big lollipop to 3 north defenders like he didn't even look).

It's those kind of possessions that lead to us putting scores up on the board, unlike his first handball where he drilled it at a bloke a metre away.
Blink twice if you need help.

It’s purely confidence. He doesn’t ‘believe’ that he belongs at the highest level yet. His body is slight so he can’t impose himself on the game and therefore he doesn’t have the confidence to take it on as he would at the lower level. Plus he’s not going to believe until he’s had a breakout game as a pure midfielder doing what he does best. At the moment he knows he’s behind others, he’s slight, and the coaches see deficiencies he needs to work on. This inevitably brings doubts and hinders belief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back