Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Way to miss the point, "rookie".

You seem a bit on edge.

Your point seems to be that no other clubs are offering him the money he wants and that no first rounders are on offer, so we should take that as an indication of his market value. What you haven’t accounted for is how the clubs handling of this has played down whatever value he does have. It doesn’t make sense. I am on edge because not only are we going to lose a very good footballer, but we will definitely get unders for someone who would demand a first round pick if he played for any other club. But hey, maybe you’re fine with that old timer. I’m people enjoy negotiating with you.

Your point seems to be that no other clubs are offering him the money he wants and that no first rounders are on offer, so we should take that as an indication of his market value. What you haven’t accounted for is how the clubs handling of this has played down whatever value he does have. It doesn’t make sense. I am on edge because not only are we going to lose a very good footballer, but we will definitely get unders for someone who would demand a first round pick if he played for any other club. But hey, maybe you’re fine with that old timer. I’m people enjoy negotiating with you.

The logic fallacy here is that if other clubs value BB, then the one who gets him will need to offer him more than the others who are interested, until the point where they are no longer willing to offer more. So, in terms of what he will be paid, the market will decide the price and they're not going to be constrained by our club "playing down his value". They will offer what is his value to them (and it won't be near what he initially knocked back, I suggest).

If only one club chases him, and they put in a low offer, then that's telling of itself.

I've said all along that we'll get unders. You're providing no revelation there. It's linked to trading an uncontracted 27yo with a potentially chronic injury

It's facile to think the act of confirming he is on the market means that all other clubs will put a ceiling on what is offered. I'd be more than happy to be opposite you in a negotiation if this is how you think.

This stuff gets waaaay over-complicated.

A Brown trade comes down to:

1a) What a club will pay him.
1b) What a club will offer North in a trade.
2) What Brady will accept.

That's it.

That's it.

It does. I'm strongly of the opinion that this is not influenced by what the club announced, in the context of what Rama announced.

That's it.
Everybody knows that. The complicated stuff is looking at the factors that determine 1a and 1b. And what happens if 1b and 2 don't align?
Like most things in life you can take a simplistic broad view and that's fine, or you can delve into the detail.

It does. I'm strongly of the opinion that this is not influenced by what the club announced, in the context of what Rama announced.

All this crap about "North showed their hand" etc., or "he's unwanted therefore he's only worth X", is for the clueless media manipulated types.

The logic fallacy here is that if other clubs value BB, then the one who gets him will need to offer him more than the others who are interested, until the point where they are no longer willing to offer more. So, in terms of what he will be paid, the market will decide the price and they're not going to be constrained by our club "playing down his value". They will offer what is his value to them (and it won't be near what he initially knocked back, I suggest).

If only one club chases him, and they put in a low offer, then that's telling of itself.

I've said all along that we'll get unders. You're providing no revelation there. It's linked to trading an uncontracted 27yo with a potentially chronic injury

It's facile to think the act of confirming he is on the market means that all other clubs will put a ceiling on what is offered. I'd be more than happy to be opposite you in a negotiation if this is how you think.
You missed something. If we say we want to keep him, it automatically means there is more than one club chasing. By saying we don't want him, they can get away with the lowball.

You missed something. If we say we want to keep him, it automatically means there is more than one club chasing. By saying we don't want him, they can get away with the lowball.

That's not how I view the concept of chasing. If we say we want to keep him, that is retention. If he is then made available for trade, then surely it casts doubt on the statement that we want to keep him. Clubs are not stupid enough to fall for us pretending we want to keep him at the same time as we are trying to trade him.

We didn't actually say we don't want him, but that we are looking for a mutually beneficial outcome. Even if this is (rightly) interpreted as we don't want him, the process of clubs competing for his services will determine his value. As I said, if there's only one club interested, then that in itself is indicative of what the whole market perceives as his value.

Some * supporters wanting BBB on Trade Radio, Preparing to sell the farm to get him, but they also think they'll have 3 top ten draft picks for the players leaving. Bunch of dreamers

Some * supporters wanting BBB on Trade Radio, Preparing to sell the farm to get him, but they also think they'll have 3 top ten draft picks for the players leaving. Bunch of dreamers

Most of them bought the club spin that they were the unwitting victims of the ASADA saga.

Then again, * and an overblown sense of entitlement go hand in glove, and they didn't like that being pointed out.

1603768110301.png

1603768026546.png

Last edited:

Maybe yes but would be surprised if has merit.

Daniher goes, they get pick/s which get them Brown and pick/s we want.

Not saying it will happen but it's reasonable it could.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re saying ‘uncle’ by accepting a 2nd round pick for Brown.

And it may set a dangerous precedent when other clubs wanna take good players off our list.
All this crap about "North showed their hand" etc., or "he's unwanted therefore he's only worth X", is for the clueless media manipulated types.

i hope you’re right. We‘ll know in a couple of weeks anyway.

Maybe yes but would be surprised if has merit.

Daniher goes, they get pick/s which get them Brown and pick/s we want.

Not saying it will happen but it's reasonable it could.
It doesn’t really matter if it is realistic or not the ordinary journalists will pick it up and run with it, and that might lead to fair value for Browny.

I was thinking Ray Toro from my chemical romance:
View attachment 996132

Although I guess the guy from coheed has the hair too, to an extent
View attachment 996133
ianhunter.jpg
Well the times are gettin' hard for you now Ben
You were a hummin' and a strummin' all over Queensland
You can't remember when you got your last goal
And you don't recall just how a winner feels

I said my, my, my, I'm once bitten twice, shy babe
My, my, my, I'm once bitten twice shy baby

You didn't know that football burned
So you dealt with Ramma and you lived and you learned
You got the run-up, but you got a dud knee
Brady's contract signing window is short and sweet

I said my, my, my, I'm once bitten twice, shy baby
My, my, my, I'm once bitten twice shy babe

I didn't know you had a goal kickin' record
Until I saw your number on another guy's jumper
You told us North was the only one
But look at you now, it's dark as it's done

Oh my, my, my, I'm once bitten twice, shy babe
My, my, my, I'm once bitten twice, shy
So shy

If true that's a very good deal for the Demons.

Length of contract iffy but price is cheap imo.

If true that's a very good deal for the Demons.

Length of contract iffy but price is cheap imo.

Also means that most clubs would think about picking him up if he enters the draft. I wouldn’t have much confidence he gets to pick 23 in the ND. And the PSD even more speculative.

GWS would love him for that amount I’d think

Also means that most clubs would think about picking him up if he enters the draft. I wouldn’t have much confidence he gets to pick 23 in the ND. And the PSD even more speculative.

GWS would love him for that amount I’d think

Plenty of teams would love the amount.

Personally I'd much rather keep him for that.

Disappointing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back