VFL Past #59: Aaron Heppell - Called time on his VFL career

Remove this Banner Ad

Dea's better when locking down on the smalls. His kicking and speed isn't penetrating enough IMO.

Actually Dea struggles against smaller players - Dea is more effective on players his height or even taller.

back 2 back VFL best and fairests for Aaron tonight. Won from Dyl Clarke and Nick Hind
Huh. Thought Hind would get the gong.

back 2 back VFL best and fairests for Aaron tonight. Won from Dyl Clarke and Nick Hind

Not back to back. Hocking won it last year. Is his second B&F though. :)

Exstatic Aaron is our VFL Captain. Exemplifies everything a leader is. A very good player who has reached his level. That final he played in '17 (?) was sensational. iirc, he went back to the Trarlgon league and dominated in a losing senior grand final. Awarded BOG too despite the overall result.

Exstatic Aaron is our VFL Captain. Exemplifies everything a leader is. A very good player who has reached his level. That final he played in '17 (?) was sensational. iirc, he went back to the Trarlgon league and dominated in a losing senior grand final. Awarded BOG too despite the overall result.
'15 I believe.

Was the obvious choice. Good leadership group, four very good VFL players and a bloke who's played 70-odd WAFL games, albeit in a struggling Perth Demons side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played well but wasn't awarded either of the BOG medals. Remember him in that match absolutely demolishing a bloke in front of me (think Ambrose on Brad Hill few years ago) and hearing the force of it and the wind being pushed out of his lungs due to the power of the tackle. He just hates losing.

Deserving skipper, works hard and never lets anyone down!

Had a listen to his interview boundary side in the VFL win on the weekend. If you closed your eyes and listened, you'd swear he and Dyson are the same person.

Almost identical voice and way of speaking.
Leongatha represent

Aaron has been around for six years now - obviously it appears he'll never get to the next level, which I think is the right call - he's a very decent player at VFL level but I doubt he could make the step up.

How many games has he played? He seems to have been in the side most weeks for years now, he must be pushing close to 100 VFL games by now.

Aaron has been around for six years now - obviously it appears he'll never get to the next level, which I think is the right call - he's a very decent player at VFL level but I doubt he could make the step up.

How many games has he played? He seems to have been in the side most weeks for years now, he must be pushing close to 100 VFL games by now.
I think he's well short of it. Between 60 and 70 I think. He was injured a lot of 2017 and didn't play much in 14/15.

I can’t see how he wouldn’t have at least some success if you put him on the field with a defined role of run, chase, crack in and pump the ball forward.

He’s no less equipped than any of the current mature aged recruits brought through the club’s own system in Atkins, Aarts, Hayes, Sutcliffe and Lloyd.

If you give Jake Long a career longer then the average AFL player, you give Aaron Heppell at least one year on a rookie list. Forget his age (which he'll only be 25 at the start of next year), players have made careers purely based on work rate alone. Sam J Reid just played in a Grand Final, and was best 22 this year and doesn't do anything particularly well at all, but he has a huge work rate & trains incredibly hard. I've been a hard no on him in the past, but I think now it'd be negligible not to at least give him 1 year. Just one year. Very low risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back