#6 Luke Jackson - Going west (life is peaceful there)

Remove this Banner Ad

On paper there wasn’t really much wrong with the Pickett trade unless you thought we were going to finish near the bottom of the ladder in 2020.
It's also identifying a player you want/need. We saw Pickett's potential. Why save your picks for the future when you have no idea who is available and where you'll finish

On paper there wasn’t really much wrong with the Pickett trade unless you thought we were going to finish near the bottom of the ladder in 2020.
There's a weird obsession with the media on analysing a trade and calling a winner and loser. Why does there have to be a winner and a loser for every trade? Why can't it be just win/win. It wasn't as if kossie was our only top pick we already picked Jackson and we landed rivers who will also be a great player. The media still banging on the Judd Kennedy trade because he kicked that goal in the last minute. It's been a long time they forget how ******* good judd was at the time he was only 26 years old when traded. If 26 Dusty was at West Coast would you trade Luke Jackson for him? Absolutely.

There's a weird obsession with the media on analysing a trade and calling a winner and loser. Why does there have to be a winner and a loser for every trade? Why can't it be just win/win. It wasn't as if kossie was our only top pick we already picked Jackson and we landed rivers who will also be a great player. The media still banging on the Judd Kennedy trade because he kicked that goal in the last minute. It's been a long time they forget how ******* good judd was at the time he was only 26 years old when traded. If 26 Dusty was at West Coast would you trade Luke Jackson for him? Absolutely.
I see WCE as the clear winners in that Judd/Kennedy trade though. Extra 100 odd games from a gun FF. Ultimately he was able to help WCE win a flag, Judd couldn't do that. Was worth the risk probably at the time for Carlton, but they were never going to win a flag with that list and gave up a young FF we all could see was going to be a star. Tough call for Blues, but WCE win that trade IMO. It was a shame to see such a great player in Judd play in such an ordinary side like Carlton. Wish he stayed with WCE tbh..

I see WCE as the clear winners in that Judd/Kennedy trade though. Extra 100 odd games from a gun FF. Ultimately he was able to help WCE win a flag, Judd couldn't do that. Was worth the risk probably at the time for Carlton, but they were never going to win a flag with that list and gave up a young FF we all could see was going to be a star. Tough call for Blues, but WCE win that trade IMO. It was a shame to see such a great player in Judd play in such an ordinary side like Carlton. Wish he stayed with WCE tbh..
I would have taken him at the dees and we wouldn't have won a premiership, mind you we didn't anything in trade value couldn't even trade a future pick. Still think it's worth having the best player in the comp at your club even without a premiership.

I can't speak for mrmonkey but I'd imagine thats the point. Judge a trade at the end of a career.

The media at the time, and probably the first 2-3 years were absolutely pro Carlton in that trade, especially when considering they got Chris Masten at 3 who didn't really kick off as they'd have liked.

AFL media is absolutely transfixed on finding a winner/loser for any high profile trade. Far more than NBA or NFL in comparison, in my view. As over the top as media personalities like Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayliss etc, when they get called out for being wrong on a trade or similar, at least they'll acknowledge it. Probably the best thing about Kane Cornes actually.

The other bottom feeders like Barrett and Robinson will bring it up when a player is out of form more often than not.

The extra 100 odd games is a valid reason to rate Kennedy higher but not the ‘he helped WC win a flag’ argument. Winning a flag is relative to the quality of the list a player finds themselves on. WC had a gun list, Carlton a s**t one. That’s not Judd’s fault.

Overall it was probably a fair trade for both clubs in hindsight. Kennedy has been very good for WC over a long period and Judd was sensational for the Blues over 6-7 year period.

Last edited:

Could we all see he was going to be a star? Didn't he play like 20 games for Carlton without making it to 10 goals?

Seem to remember at the time that everyone thought Carlton had got away with murder in giving West Coast pick 3 instead of 1 plus a young key forward they didn't rate overly at the time. Judd was the best player in the game at the time as well, Kennedy could have been nothing.

Could we all see he was going to be a star? Didn't he play like 20 games for Carlton without making it to 10 goals?

Seem to remember at the time that everyone thought Carlton had got away with murder in giving West Coast pick 3 instead of 1 plus a young key forward they didn't rate overly at the time. Judd was the best player in the game at the time as well, Kennedy could have been nothing.
Kennedy went at #4 in the draft two years earlier though, pretty standard for a KPF to start slowly, esp if they play their first two seasons for the wooden spooners whose only game plan was to kick the ball to Fev. Exploded pretty quickly after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy went at #4 in the draft two years earlier though, pretty standard for a KPF to start slowly, esp if they play their first two seasons for the wooden spooners whose only game plan was to kick the ball to Fev. Exploded pretty quickly after that.
But not a sure thing, we can write a list as long as your arm of top 10 flops.

I could see the kid was going to be special. And from the article below, so to did Carlton. Carlton 100% should have given up pick 1. Teams place far too much emphasis on that pick. Masten while no superstar went on to play over 200 games for WCE also. I would have happily taken Judd too, but the cost was steep and i feel Carlton made the wrong call by giving up Kennedy and pick 3. My opinion, but i feel WCE are still winning from that trade.

The extra 100 odd games is a valid reason to rate Kennedy higher but not the ‘he helped WC win a flag’ argument. Winning a flag is relative to the quality of the list a player finds themselves on. WC had a gun list, Carlton a sh*t one. That’s not Judd’s fault.

Overall it was probably a fair trade for both clubs in hindsight. Kennedy has been very good for WC over a long period and Judd was sensational for the Blues over 6-7 year period.
It's not just 100 games though. It's 100 games from a superstar FF. Throw in Masten who by all means was no gun, but was a decent player who played 215 games, and it weighs into WCE side. Both premiership players several years after Judd had retired. That would sting the Blues i reckon. Plus the cost involved in keeping Judd. Ouch. But hey, i would have welcomed Judd with open arms, i just think the cost was way too high. Yes a bit of hindsight there, but that's the only time you can truly compare a trade i guess..

one look at the junction oval change rooms was enough for Judd to say no thanks to us . Didn’t like having to kick needles aside to park his car .

1 and 3 for Judd and 46, rather than 3, Kennedy and 20 would have been a better trade. Kreuzer, who did suffer from injuries granted, was never anywhere near Kennedy.

1 and 3 for Judd and 46, rather than 3, Kennedy and 20 would have been a better trade. Kreuzer, who did suffer from injuries granted, was never anywhere near Kennedy.
West Coast are on record as saying they would have taken Cockchin at 1 not Kruezer

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back