AFL Player # 6: Jye Caldwell

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a mare tonight.

A couple of really poor turnovers that directly resulted WCE goals in the 4th. He does so much right but his kicking can really let him down sometimes.

Probably second year of the Darcy Parish trade apprenticeship. Playing more forward than he was used to as a junior with necessity seeing him have roles on ball. I liked that he did what the team needed as a fwd/mid. Nothing flash, just doing his role.

He’s a good player tbh, but I do question what exact point of difference he adds.
He’s shown he’s capable of kicking goals which is a plus.

Goes in hard but is very similar to Parish, Shiel, Hobbs and Merrett

He’s a good player tbh, but I do question what exact point of difference he adds.
He’s shown he’s capable of kicking goals which is a plus.

Goes in hard but is very similar to Parish, Shiel, Hobbs and Merrett

Not really similar to Merrett at all, and plays different to Parish who's more of an accumulator that wins possessions on the move instead of ripping them off the ground the way Hobbs does.

He did have a good turn of speed as a junior, but repeated hamstring injuries might mean we might not really get to see that in his future.

He's a slower Shiel who is more comfortable seeking contact IMO, won't rack up huge numbers but is the kind of guy that fleshes out your midfield rotations.

A starting centre bounce trio including Caldwell & Hobbs is one that won't let the opposition win an easy possession.

He's very inexperienced and previously injury prone so I'm just pleased that he's having a solid and uninterrupted (touch wood) year of football. He's had moments of excellent play and is courageous.

Whether he's a future star time will tell, but I'm convinced he'll remain best 22 for a long time to come at least and anything else is a bonus.

Not really similar to Merrett at all, and plays different to Parish who's more of an accumulator that wins possessions on the move instead of ripping them off the ground the way Hobbs does.

He did have a good turn of speed as a junior, but repeated hamstring injuries might mean we might not really get to see that in his future.

He's a slower Shiel who is more comfortable seeking contact IMO, won't rack up huge numbers but is the kind of guy that fleshes out your midfield rotations.

A starting centre bounce trio including Caldwell & Hobbs is one that won't let the opposition win an easy possession.

I’d say they need another big body or two as support. Wonder if Kelly’s ever played mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Jack Steele role? 👀

Good to see him find a bit of a niche within the midfield group. Seemed smart enough to let Neale lead him to where the footy was going to be but also use his own ability to win it or work forward the other way.

Proves you don’t have to be a 6’4 megatron to dominate a game.

Probably close to bog even if you disregard his job on Neale, add in the negating role and it is a two way masterclass

Best game for the club today. Completely outpointed Neale. Was hard at it, and showed the way with his attack on the ball and the man. Leadership material 💪

Good to see him find a bit of a niche within the midfield group. Seemed smart enough to let Neale lead him to where the footy was going to be but also use his own ability to win it or work forward the other way.

Great way to learn midfield positioning, follow one of the best around and focus on beating him to the ball when it's in the area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back