AFL Player # 6: Jye Caldwell

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he'd be better than what he's shown this year. 4th year in the system and still looks a little teeny to me.

I'm going to cut him some slack due to games played and injuries so continuity is the thing. Hopefully he can shake off the Marc Bullen vibes I get, I think he's better than that.

Not ruled out yet will see how it settles.

As reported yesterday, midfielder Jye Caldwell has dodged any significant damage to his AC joint after a courageous back-with-the-flight contest against Swans defender Tom McCartin.

Murphy said Caldwell will be given every opportunity to prove his fitness for Saturday's Dreamtime at the 'G if his injury settles across the week.

“Caldwell is actually (looking) pretty good,” Murphy said.

“He has got an AC joint injury but it’s not too bad at this point. We've just got to see how that settles and test his availability later in the week, but we’ll leave that door ajar at this point.”

Wouldn’t be opposed to him taking a breather and come back fresh second half of the year. Plays such a combative role, for a young lad with is injury history. Missing a week may not be the worst thing.

Unpopular opinion but I'll be staggered if Jye plays 150 games for us

Nothing against the kid and you can make all the excuses you want, just a gut feeling. Not quick enough after the hamstring(s), not big enough to be a #3 in the same position (inside mid behind Darcy and Shiel) and his kicking although neat, lacks no real penetration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing against the kid and you can make all the excuses you want, just a gut feeling. Not quick enough after the hamstring(s), not big enough to be a #3 in the same position (inside mid behind Darcy and Shiel) and his kicking although neat, lacks no real penetration.
I’ll reserve judgement for when he makes it through this year and then has a pre season where he isn’t worried about rehabilitating his hamstring and can focus on getting his explosiveness back. But yeah, he’s not a sure thing atm. At least he’s aggressive…

I’ll reserve judgement for when he makes it through this year and then has a pre season where he isn’t worried about rehabilitating his hamstring and can focus on getting his explosiveness back. But yeah, he’s not a sure thing atm. At least he’s aggressive…

Yeah

If Jye can maybe fill the role Durham is doing right now (utility) and we upgrade the role Jye is trying to fill then we should be better off.

Always thought of him as a Shiel replacement anyway… that’s why GWS got him with our Shiel pick and they’re quite similar in terms of attributes. Although mk2 grew up as a boxer

Yikes

I understand the point but it's almost academic because of the way AFL teams operate. He will play to the detriment of team balance.

I agree that we're waiting to see how he develops in the next 12 months. Does he recapture that dynamic burst and/fill out into a little bull? That's the key unknown. What is he if he doesn't? He's not that appealing is he, particularly with our midfield balance?

I understand the point but it's almost academic because of the way AFL teams operate. He will play to the detriment of team balance.

I agree that we're waiting to see how he develops in the next 12 months. Does he recapture that dynamic burst and/fill out into a little bull? That's the key unknown. What is he if he doesn't? He's not that appealing is he, particularly with our midfield balance?
In fairness was never known as a burst player even at gws is and always will be your first hands at the clearance coalfaxe almost libba esque. His talents are his hands his aggressiveness and his cleanliness. If given the chance like last night showed just how good he can be at it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back