AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Your ANZAC Day Medallist - 25/4

Remove this Banner Ad

Fogdog saying on Blitz that he’s heard Merrett has agreed to a contract extension.

Geez, wouldn’t that be great news to start the season with! Fingers crossed.
Huge if true

Fogdog saying on Blitz that he’s heard Merrett has agreed to a contract extension.

He'd know too I reckon, given his connection to the prez.

I've been critical of this guy in the past for not being attacking enough with his disposals. But he's our best mid by far and it's not close.

Maybe McGrath closes the gap but maybe he doesn't.

Losing Merrett would be a disaster.

I've been critical of this guy in the past for not being attacking enough with his disposals. But he's our best mid by far and it's not close.

Definitely not a positive thing, but it's possibly the best draft to lose him in. One where we're likely to have a low selection and a strong midfield draft.

I think he always wants to take the attacking kick, just needs the option to present, Our dysfunctional forward set up the last 3 years has been a massive issue, get that right and the mids and defenders should look better.

Definitely not a positive thing, but it's possibly the best draft to lose him in. One where we're likely to have a low selection and a strong midfield draft.
A bird in the hand is worth more etc

Fogdog also said -

Don’t take this to the bank as the same birdie told me Daniher was staying, however, the birdie tells me Merrett has agreed to a contract extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't there an article a few days ago somewhere (either Age or AFL website) suggesting that Merrett was putting the contract talks off?

Wasn't there an article a few days ago somewhere (either Age or AFL website) suggesting that Merrett was putting the contract talks off?
Cal thomey, just old news rehashed for the free agency list. There were no new quotes in it. A quote from Dodo from december saying we want to keep him and working with his manager, nothing from Merrett himself since he shut down a move last trade period and nothing from Merretts manager.

I find this difficult to believe as much as I want to. The only reason you'd lock it in now is if you thought you were going to have a sh*t year or you had no intention of trying to maximise your earnings.

OR YOU WANT TO DEMONSTRATE YOUR LOYALTY TO THE SUPPORTERS BECAUSE YOU REALLY LOVE THEM AND THE CLUB

Would be a greater disaster if he went to Carlton like Saad....couldnt stomach losing two of our top 3 from the BnF...

Geezus Christ. 50 each way?!! Jog on Fogdog.

Well the Daniher info was something I heard from a very reliable source as well and I still believe at the time it was mentioned Joe was 80/20 about staying. At the end of the day he changed his mind as he wanted to get away from the footy circus more than anything else.

The news on Merritt does have some legs. I hear his relationship with Worsfold was not anything special and he struggled with Woosha's style as far as being a bit removed from the player group and his giving the players the power to drive a few parts of the preparation. The recent word as he does like Trucks style in that he is more involved with the players and is the guys pushing everyone along and the feedback about his areas he needs to improve has been more structured and detailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back