AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Your ANZAC Day Medallist - 25/4

Remove this Banner Ad

Putting a stipulation that they're going to give you the captaincy in a contract is totally foolish. Only give a player the captaincy if they want it, period. Zach is a leader, but is he the type of leader that wants to do all the things required as a captain? Who knows. He's never been the kind of player to front the media (without wanting/having a good reason too) and part of being the captain is showing your face/speaking publicly as your basically the face for the playing group. His leadership qualities obviously standout but perhaps he's just not the kind of leader to brand what he is about as a leader publicly, and that's totally fine. He seems quite introverted in some aspects, which isn't a bad thing either. Making him the next captain sounds logical but honestly, only give him the captaincy if it's what he wants and not because it's sounds like it should be done. He's an incredible player and his leadership qualities sound incredible to be around but at the end of the day we don't his performance to take a hit because his duties as a captain are deterring from that.
A contract stipulation that you are captain unchallenged without question is ridiculous. I cant believe GWS actually did it. Just to clarify though, theres been no reports of Zach demanding it in his contract as part of re-signing with us. He is on record as saying he strives to be a leader, his on field performance improves when he's playing captain, and as of next year if he stays, he looks like being the next captain naturally. But written into a contract would be a hard no from any supporter, probably all of the playing group and would be suprised if any of the coaches or staff thought it was a good idea either. Id also be pretty surprised if Zach himself tried to demand it as a contract stipulation.

A contract stipulation that you are captain unchallenged without question is ridiculous. I cant believe GWS actually did it. Just to clarify though, theres been no reports of Zach demanding it in his contract as part of re-signing with us. He is on record as saying he strives to be a leader, his on field performance improves when he's playing captain, and as of next year if he stays, he looks like being the next captain naturally. But written into a contract would be a hard no from any supporter, probably all of the playing group and would be suprised if any of the coaches or staff thought it was a good idea either. Id also be pretty surprised if Zach himself tried to demand it as a contract stipulation.
Agree with everything said here.

I thinks it's easy as outsiders/fans to go 'X' player is without a doubt our next captain. But, one needs to look at who they are/the type of person they are & the kind of leader they are. Sometimes, a certain leader is just suited to supporting their captain. Not suggesting that is Zach but if it's the type of leader he wants to be, without having the captaincy then so be it.

Question though, McGrath feels like he needs to focus on his game before stepping up as captain and keep growing consistency. But, who do we think could take the reins if it's not Zach or McGrath?

I thinks it's easy as outsiders/fans to go 'X' player is without a doubt our next captain. But, one needs to look at who they are/the type of person they are & the kind of leader they are. Sometimes, a certain leader is just suited to supporting their captain. Not suggesting that is Zach but if it's the type of leader he wants to be, without having the captaincy then so be it.

Question though, McGrath feels like he needs to focus on his game before stepping up as captain and keep growing consistency. But, who do we think could take the reins if it's not Zach or McGrath?
I think Heppell would just continue for another year at least if it wasnt Zach or Pidge

I wouldn't mind Parish as captain if not the others.

They are looking at all of that. How he has responded to being left out of the leadership group. How he has worked on improving the areas that got him left out of that group and how he is leading the side now he is back as vice captain. People need to calm down. There is no contract stipulation. The comments are simply as vice captain he is doing everything that would indicate he will be the next captain.

Congratulations Zerrett! And please please please don't leave us.

I think with the new rules players like him have practically doubled in value. The game is all about bullet passes now.

Great career highlights package on the EFC website given me and no doubt many others even more reason to keep this great player at our club.

.......get the bloody deal done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Missed 10 of 159 games to date by my count.

3 in year 1 (likely managed) and a weeks suspension or 2 leaves us with 5 games he's missed due to injury in 8 years. It's amazing durability and probably required a healthy does of luck.

Contrast this with Laverde who has played 53 of a possible 136. :(

Good to see he's back to his best this year, even if Curnow got him in the second half last week.

Last edited:
Any confidence in the comments mentioned in the latest article on EFC website by Zach...he obviously is enjoying what Truck has brought to the group to date......

Any confidence in the comments mentioned in the latest article on EFC website by Zach...he obviously is enjoying what Truck has brought to the group to date......
given where my pessimism was last year, i empathised with Zachy's doubts on staying with us.
As such, my own feelings this year about us is the only barometer i'm using until he makes an announcement and so far i feel he's staying.

I can't remember the last time i felt this positive about us.
and we're 2-5 with 3 losses we could avoided....this would normally bother me. This year, i feel it brings us closer to better things.

For anyone stuck behind the paywall on Mark Robinson's interview with Zach Merrett that just went up on the Herald Sun, here are some notable quotes from it.

“hopefully they (fans) say, he’s committed, he’s helping. “I don’t think about the contract. I literally wake up every day & think, ‘how can I win a premiership for Essendon, how can I help Cox, Perkins, Parish, McGrath & that’s what motivates me.’’ - Merrett

“for the first time there’s been consistent effort & willingness to have a crack for 7 games in a row. “The season is unfolding how we hoped. The clarity & alignment from all staff & the players is through the roof, best I’ve seen since I’ve been at the club. By a mile.’’ - Merrett

“At the time, when you’re 24 & 23, you think ‘why the f … aren’t they following why aren’t they listening?’ But now I think my teammates see a place of care. I can massively sense they are. They are all encouraging me to push to be me" - Merrett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t read that article for from the Hun but Tom Browne was quoting from it and apparently Zach says hasn’t made up his mind, seen good things from club but wants a few months to see
Tom Browne is the king exaggeration in AFL reporting. The article/feature reads pretty honest, if anything I think it should set Essendon fan's at ease a little bit more as he seems in a really positive space. As long as we keep performing and our younger players keep showing development, IMO I think it reads like he definitely wants to buy into the future.

Tom Browne is the king exaggeration in AFL reporting. The article/feature reads pretty honest, if anything I think it should set Essendon fan's at ease a little bit more as he seems in a really positive space. As long as we keep performing and our younger players keep showing development, IMO I think it reads like he definitely wants to buy into the future.
Hopefully. Merrett could also have said that to motivate team to keep it up.

Fwiw, this is where I was coming from re my perception of Zachs type A, somewhat aloof personality and how it may limit his ability as a leader (sounds like he’s turned the corner on this which is great to hear).

I’ve always tried to drive standards but I’ve got better skills to do it now,” he said.

“At the time, when you’re 24 and 23, you think ‘why the f … aren’t they following why aren’t they listening?’ But now I think my teammates see a place of care. I can massively sense they are. They are all encouraging me to push to be me. Previously, it was, ‘you’re just so hard and so serious all the time’. And that was hard to cop. Like, what else was I going to do, muck around and makes jokes?’’

He says his persona is more like Goddard’s than Heppell’s. “Yeah, definitely more BJ. By a long way and it’s probably why BJ and I got on so well.’’

All I got from reading the article is that Joey isn't the only player adept at fence sitting.
Feel like he's a little more genuine than Joe. Plus Joe had a hard run at things with his body not holding up in his time at Essendon, Zach has experienced things differently.

If you read footy articles for insight good luck with that. You might as well analyse goose entrails. You'll get just as much out of it

I think the only thing i take from that article is that Zach isn't bullshitting people. He will go if he's not happy, (he may already have decided to go) but he isn't throwing out the same lines as Joe did to give people hope.

If you read footy articles for insight good luck with that. You might as well analyse goose entrails. You'll get just as much out of it
I mean, we are all just fans, sitting, scrolling, posting and debating on a forum. So, it's arguably the same level of insight, if not at times, worse insight haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back