Player Watch #7: Jack Viney (VC) – 200th this weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

The bump was great, picking the ball straight up and leveling another bloke off a couple of steps before firing off the handball was sensational. He's crazy explosive, if he was bigger he'd be lethal.
Yeah if he was around a Wines/Brayshaw size Viney would be an actual occupational hazard.

Yeah if he was around a Wines/Brayshaw size Viney would be an actual occupational hazard.

He already is despite his size! They need to ban him from the club practice match this year.. last year he broke Brayshaw's face!!

He'd probably be constantly suspended, rules would be changed to limit his carnage. I feel like a big part of him getting off that bump charge was him being one of the shortest guys around.

He'd probably be constantly suspended, rules would be changed to limit his carnage. I feel like a big part of him getting off that bump charge was him being one of the shortest guys around.
It wouldn't surprise me if the intent to poleaxe Lynch was there but it simply looks more innocent because he's not tall enough to really get a KPF high.

Last edited:
It would surprise me if the intent to poleaxe Lynch was there but it simply looks more innocent because he's not tall enough to really get a KPF high.

Oh yeah if you watch the video again he certainly wasn't unhappy about going through lynch

I'm tipping him to have the best career out of any of our current u23 gang. If his attitude can permeate through the rest of the playing list there is no doubt we will have a period of sustained success for the first time in many, many years

I'm tipping him to have the best career out of any of our current u23 gang. If his attitude can permeate through the rest of the playing list there is no doubt we will have a period of sustained success for the first time in many, many years
Not even in the same league as Hogan though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not even in the same league as Hogan though.

I've just got this feeling about Viney. He'll do everything humanly possible to get the best out of himself and his teammates.

Possible future captain once Jones retires.

Actually is Viney in the leadership group?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Not yet.

Last year's leadership group:
Jones, N (c)
Dunn (vc)
Dawes
Cross
Grimes
Lumumba

So you would think that there is at least one spot up for grabs.

But not likely to be announced in until after the 2nd NAB Cup game

Roos has said that they're going to delay the decision as he wants to see how leaders are performing in games as well as at training.

Not yet.

Last year's leadership group:
Jones, N (c)
Dunn (vc)
Dawes
Cross
Grimes
Lumumba

The bolded would be a fair explanation for that you'd think, given Grimes was in and out of the team, and the other two's form was far from leadership quality.

Viney, T.Mac, Watts would be the main candidates to come in to the group from what I've gleaned.

The bolded would be a fair explanation for that you'd think, given Grimes was in and out of the team, and the other two's form was far from leadership quality.

Viney, T.Mac, Watts would be the main candidates to come in to the group from what I've gleaned.
Viney and Tommy Mac I would agree with you.

Watts is an interesting one. The right age, but was also a bit in and out of the team last year (dropped for the final round?) and will be under pressure this year to hold his spot (which is a good thing to have to improve a team).

Viney and Tommy Mac I would agree with you.

Watts is an interesting one. The right age, but was also a bit in and out of the team last year (dropped for the final round?) and will be under pressure this year to hold his spot (which is a good thing to have to improve a team).

Watts is the obvious question mark, but I've read plenty about how vocal he's been at training so far etc, which is the first step to putting your hand up for leadership positions at this stage of a season.

In one respect, he probably does have plenty of other things to worry about already with the pressure for him to perform, but for a guy who is such a confidence player, I think that he'd actually thrive off of being given leadership responsibilities, similar to the way Jones took his game to another level ... different levels of course, but I'd be all for his inclusion.

Watts finished 18th or somewhere around there in the B&F and was dropped in the last round of 2015, I doubt he would be anywhere near the leadership group.

Viney, T.Mcdonald, Garland and Vince would be the top candidates to join the leadership group

Being promoted to the Leadership Group could be a defining moment for Jack, although I don’t think so. I think he really needs to concentrate on his football without any additional worries or concerns that being a member of the LG might bring.

Then again Roos/Goodwin might see it as being the catalyst that brings out the best in him.

Being promoted to the Leadership Group could be a defining moment for Jack, although I don’t think so. I think he really needs to concentrate on his football without any additional worries or concerns that being a member of the LG might bring.

Then again Roos/Goodwin might see it as being the catalyst that brings out the best in him.
From what i've heard he practically leads already. Apparently really helping out the young guys at training at the moment. But i agree probably should focus on his game more this year, next year maybe. But if he was announced in the leadership group this year i wouldn't be shocked or upset

Viney certainly is a natural leader but you're right, he's only been at the club for 3 years and hasn't even played 50 games yet. He's still developing and learning a lot about the game. Probably best that he doesn't have that pressure of being in the leadership group just yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back