Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Successfully navigated his way through interview process at a top private golf club in victoria. Fulll playing rights the commence in very near future (pending any objections of course). May be an influential factor
They have some great courses in WA.

Successfully navigated his way through interview process at a top private golf club in victoria. Fulll playing rights the commence in very near future (pending any objections of course). May be an influential factor
The guy who interviewed him is a Richmond supporter.

Bake nets us a first round pick every day of the week. Just look at the Schultz trade — and Baker is a better, more versatile player than Schultz and is our VC.

Wouldn't be a top 10 though. Maybe 15-18 IMO.

Schultz has kicked 85 goals in 3 years whereas Baker, despite excellent performances, remains a 'utility' type player - and I'm not convinced that clubs go hunting for utilities rather than specific needs.

Would you do our first pick, Noah Balta & Baker for Harley Reid?

Absolutely stuffing not.

Balta should not be included in any trade unless he's walked out the door and we are reaming someone. Reid has done diddly squat so far. Balta has shown he can be a bone fide full back, very serviceable ruck relief, showing some potential up forward and I reckon he'd go OK on the wing myself.

If baker wants to go back home i dont have any issue with that at all
he is 26 years old and will be 27 in January with 5 - 6 years career left and has every right to make this contract his pay day and if going home to wa is what he wants then all fine.

His value
Lachie Schultz was traded for pick #34 plus future 1st rounder lets call it #15
Both similar size , age and games but with 1 major factor. Baker is a leader and also a premiership player as well as being on more $$$ than Shultz. so is a higher value player in a trade imo

Fremantle has 3 x 1st round picks ( fremantle , Collingwood , Port )
1 of these teams will finish outside the 8 and thats the pick it will take pick #8-#10 is what i would be wanting and expecting as a trade.

Both sides will have a Win/Win

Can't see Bakes leaving. He's a VC now and doesn't strike me as someone that would just be chasing money.

Hmmmm let me put my Sherlock Holmes hat on...... ok ready.

Timeline:
2018- Jan 2024 Lives rent free with Jayden Short for 6 years.

Sept 2023: Jayden gets engaged. Jayden's Mrs says enoughs enough time for Freeloader McGee to piss off.

Early 2024: Baker moves out. Says contract talks are off til EOY.

March 2024: Baker buys a house on the riverfront in PERTH (has been saying for years he loves going back to Lake Grace in off season to the farm where he'll retire)!!!! Not Melbourne..... Hmmm don't need to be a genius to see the writings on the wall where he's headed.

No one gives a rats too bag about having VC in their title. He's going. Can't wait for the bidding war and hopefully Freo win and English stays at WB cos those 3 1st rounders look scrumptious.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to re sign Bakes, because we’ll lose a lot of experience at the end of the season and he’s a leader and much loved player around the club. And a very good player.
But I wouldn’t be getting into a bidding war with either of the WA clubs. Have the war chest ready to go for a KPF when an A grader becomes available.

He's obviously Goneski. It's where he wanted to end up and you don't buy a 2 mill house to rent out. I don't think he should of accepted the VC knowing he wasn't staying.
That's why we had 2 others in Short & Lynch.
I think Baker wasn't staying given he never got the full captaincy.

Last edited:
Broad started building his house in Perth last year and signed an extension till the end of next season.
Fact is you only might get one or two chances to buy a particular house.
Joints on the river front wouldn’t hang around too long I wouldn’t think

Can't see Bakes leaving. He's a VC now and doesn't strike me as someone that would just be chasing money.

Spot on, he is not going anywhere. From what I know and heard, he feels he also owes the tigers for taking the chance on him and he is super keen to get us back up the ladder. He wont bail.

Broad started building his house in Perth last year and signed an extension till the end of next season.
Fact is you only might get one or two chances to buy a particular house.
Joints on the river front wouldn’t hang around too long I wouldn’t think
Smaller market with high demand.

Amazing spots along the Swan in Perth.

I don’t want to lose Baker, but if you asked me which player would provide us the best trade ‘value’ for what we are losing he’d be the man. He’s 27yo start of 2025. And with Tassie coming in, these next couple of seasons are critical for us to find a few absolutely elite players, which Baker will never be.

Given his flags, his reputation and his age, we will get ‘overs’ in a trade - and Freo have loads of draft capital this draft period. I’d rather he stayed, but if he goes we can really have a draft hand for the ages… if we make it count then we can set up our next period of flag contention.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Spot on, he is not going anywhere. From what I know and heard, he feels he also owes the tigers for taking the chance on him and he is super keen to get us back up the ladder. He wont bail.
Yeah Tiger71 just like Howard people have spoken there will be no more GST talk from us lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back