AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Your ANZAC Day Medallist - 25/4

Remove this Banner Ad

And Gary Ablett had already won a brownlow by then, established himself, and was older than 20. What a jet Merrett is

Whenever I feel down, I'll come back to read this quote. May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

It's hard to compare because there was a much higher willingness to give players in bad teams more votes back then. There is an argument to be made, for example, that neither Dick Reynolds or Bob Skilton or Haydn Bunton would have won a single Brownlow under the modern system that overwhelmingly favours those in winning teams. Reynolds barely polled a vote during seasons where Essendon had a winning record.
Ablett and judds brownlow speaks against that. Zach this year and many other examples would too.

Ablett and judds brownlow speaks against that. Zach this year and many other examples would too.

Judd won in a team that made the finals. Ablett was treated differently because he was almost unanimously viewed as the best player in the league.

The approach to voting for the Brownlow has changed considerably over the years. The system was more favourable to players from losing teams in the past.

Identifying one special exception (Ablett) and Merrett's performance this year doesn't change that.

Judd won in a team that made the finals. Ablett was treated differently because he was almost unanimously viewed as the best player in the league.

The approach to voting for the Brownlow has changed considerably over the years. The system was more favourable to players from losing teams in the past.

Identifying one special exception (Ablett) and Merrett's performance this year doesn't change that.
Judds Carlton limped in to the 8, lost as many as they won.
Crawford didn't play finals in 99.
7 of this years top 12 did not play finals.

34/1 to win the brownlow on Sportsbet for next year. Worth putting a $5 on I think ;)

He will (hopefully from a team aspect) have more team mates taking votes off him.

He will (hopefully from a team aspect) have more team mates taking votes off him.

Used to be the conventional wisdom, but since Crawford you've only got Watson and Ablett's second that weren't playing finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Used to be the conventional wisdom, but since Crawford you've only got Watson and Ablett's second that weren't playing finals.

Though you sometimes have teams that make finals without many outstanding players. Judd in 2010 being a prime example.

Essendon doesn't have many players who poll strongly. Jobe did but he isn't what he was and Heppell's highest tally is only 14. If we were to win, say, 11 games and Merrett plays as well as he did this season then he could quite easily poll in the mid-20s and be in with a chance.

I recently moved into a northen suburb and little did I know Garry Moorcroft plays for my local cricket club.
He reckon zach merret is the best player at his age he has seen.

Only thing he reckons is he turns it over too much and needs to develop a left foot.

I also asked him who is the best player hes played with, he's answer, Mark mecuri.

Growing up in the 90s i cannot comment on what his opinion.

End of the day I love zach and he predicted we finish top 4. Happy days

I recently moved into a northen suburb and little did I know Garry Moorcroft plays for my local cricket club.

Only thing he reckons is he turns it over too much and needs to develop a left foot.

I also asked him who is the best player hes played with, he's answer, Mark mecuri.

Does he mean his right?

I welcome you to the NMCA cricket comp, it appears we are neighbours now, my good sir!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back