Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, the focus is on LONG, meaning probably never.
Mate, if you think Chom is the second coming of Tarrant then you are watching a different player.

Anyway, this is a Zane thread so, and l've posted in this thread before, i think for his development he should play more in the VFL to develop and either work on his forward craft or play 70 forward/30 mid...he's wasted in our current forward setup.

Mate, if you think Chom is the second coming of Tarrant then you are watching a different player.

Anyway, this is a Zane thread so, and l've posted in this thread before, i think for his development he should play more in the VFL to develop and either work on his forward craft or play 70 forward/30 mid...he's wasted in our current forward setup.

Mate if you think comben is the next chf then you are wasting your time.

He could not string together more than 7 games together over the last 4 years, he maanged 10 in one go after moving into defense. This tells me defense is his main area.

He could not string together more than 7 games together over the last 4 years, he maanged 10 in one go after moving into defense. This tells me defense is his main area.
We get it mate, you don’t think Chom will go forward.

Yeah and Toby Pink is Wayne Carey:D

As Clarko was quoted "He's riddled with injury over the course of his four to five-year career. He's never played back before this year, so we just wanted to settle him into a position behind the ball where you can read the play and perhaps not be involved in as many pack-marking situations in the back end rather than the front end," Clarkson said of Comben.
"Usually the defenders and midfielders outnumber the forwards when you're in packs and he's just found himself to be injury-prone forward of the footy. So we've got him in the back end just to get his career going a little bit hopefully.
He's played that position really well for us and in the year to date. Where he ends up settling? I would hope for the balance of our side that he'll end up going forward again because he's capable in the ruck as well and he just gives you that perfect type of combination.
Right at the present time we're having to sacrifice our side a little bit just to allow him to get continuity with his footy. But we're pleased to do that, we know that he's going to be an important player for us in the years ahead."

Anyway, back to the Zane thread...lets have this convo on Chom's thread eh?;)

There is probably too much position swapping with our young kids already, but if there ever was a good candidate for moving a forward to defence I think it would be Duursma.

Add 7-9 kg's and he could be a Tom Stewart clone. He has all the traits to be an intercept machine and general down back. Not advocating for it to happen now, but if he doesn't reach his full potential as a forward it is an option.

I said last year that my biggest concerns with BGZ was his defensive intensity and his ground ball game. Really think these deficiencies are being highlighted at AFL level at the moment.

He's also clearly working on both though, that intercept of a kick out was beautful.

There is probably too much position swapping with our young kids already, but if there ever was a good candidate for moving a forward to defence I think it would be Duursma.

Add 7-9 kg's and he could be a Tom Stewart clone. He has all the traits to be an intercept machine and general down back. Not advocating for it to happen now, but if he doesn't reach his full potential as a forward it is an option.
Like the idea, but would need to tidy up his field kicking that like many in our side needs to improve. He has some serious hops and could both mark and kill plenty of ball coming into our backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

going to be honest... i was expecting a just a tad more 'ready to go at AFL level' when we drafted him.

You have to consider that we've scored almost 400 points less that the top scoring team this year. While someone like Lachie Schultz has kicked 21 more points (goals + behinds), both have contributed to ~7% of their respective team scores for the year.

It's not an easy job being a North forward, and I don't imagine being a first year draftee makes it any easier.

I think more relevant is the fact he does at least one high quality thing per game, even if he's not getting a lot of the ball.

Plus the one game where we did move the ball consistently well (Freo), he took 11 marks and looked fantastic.
That was all I needed to see to know we have one here. We’ve hardly played any footy like it since so it’s no wonder he’s struggled to look up to it. He’s young, he’s skinny, he plays in the worst forward line in existence.

Yeah and Toby Pink is Wayne Carey:D

As Clarko was quoted "He's riddled with injury over the course of his four to five-year career. He's never played back before this year, so we just wanted to settle him into a position behind the ball where you can read the play and perhaps not be involved in as many pack-marking situations in the back end rather than the front end," Clarkson said of Comben.
"Usually the defenders and midfielders outnumber the forwards when you're in packs and he's just found himself to be injury-prone forward of the footy. So we've got him in the back end just to get his career going a little bit hopefully.
He's played that position really well for us and in the year to date. Where he ends up settling? I would hope for the balance of our side that he'll end up going forward again because he's capable in the ruck as well and he just gives you that perfect type of combination.
Right at the present time we're having to sacrifice our side a little bit just to allow him to get continuity with his footy. But we're pleased to do that, we know that he's going to be an important player for us in the years ahead."

Anyway, back to the Zane thread...lets have this convo on Chom's thread eh?;)
Listening is free. Listen to the right people you can learn.Not sure why more don't take advantage of it. Even if it does contradict what one wants to hear or see.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I said last year that my biggest concerns with BGZ was his defensive intensity and his ground ball game. Really think these deficiencies are being highlighted at AFL level at the moment.

Seems very much like a confidence player as well. Might be able to hit purple patches for periods of time but then be quiet other times.

Am I the only one who doesn’t think he is that skinny?

Agreed - he's not as rake thin as I thought he'd be.

He's going to fill out hugely too.

Exactly. If people can’t realise he is the reincarnated version of the prince that was promised, aka Kieran Harper, they’re ******* delusional.

Hahahaha lol I was going to say he reminds me of a young Nat Fyfe but you're right.

(Kieran Harper v the Tiges still in my top 3 for goals kicked by a North player at the G)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back