Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma

Remove this Banner Ad

I said last year that my biggest concerns with BGZ was his defensive intensity and his ground ball game. Really think these deficiencies are being highlighted at AFL level at the moment.

Happy to let him develop in the 2s. We can't play him, Ford, Curtis in the same forward line as they all lack defensive intent.

Definitely needs to go back to the 2nds. 4 touches in a game of footy is just not good enough. Don’t know if it’s confidence, laziness or just a 1st player trying to learn the ropes in a bog average team.

how did the rest of the battery of medium fwd go today? Zurhaar, ford, stephenson, duursma, taylor?

There needs to be more roles for them, stephenson taylor need to be able to play middle.

Definitely needs to go back to the 2nds. 4 touches in a game of footy is just not good enough. Don’t know if it’s confidence, laziness or just a 1st player trying to learn the ropes in a bog average team.
He doesn’t work hard enough.

Too much coasting.

He’s not the Lone Ranger, but if we are expecting this guy to be elite, he will have to start pulling out the digit.

If this guy played for anyone of the other 17 teams in the competition he would all ready have a rising star nom getting 10-15 touches a game a raging a goal a game development at this football club is non existent. Players don’t go forward they go backwards when they play for NMFC that’s just facts

If this guy played for anyone of the other 17 teams in the competition he would all ready have a rising star nom getting 10-15 touches a game a raging a goal a game development at this football club is non existent. Players don’t go forward they go backwards when they play for NMFC that’s just facts

We literally have the reigning rising star winner in our team, and Colby has had 30+ possessions in each of his past 3 matches.

This is entirely on Zane. He needs to pull his head in and work hard. He also needs to put on 5+ kilos

We literally have the reigning rising star winner in our team, and Colby has had 30+ possessions in each of his past 3 matches.

This is entirely on Zane. He needs to pull his head in and work hard. He also needs to put on 5+ kilos
Yep, Colby, Sheezel and Wardlaw look great.

Duursma's issue is that he plays like someone who should be much stronger.

He's going to be a goal kicking, high marking forward. He's basically the same height as Waterman and plays above his height. He just needs to get stronger and more confident and get a stronger understanding of forward craft.

If he keeps focussed and works hard then he will be a gun forward.

In a couple of years it will be Larkey, Duursma and a Comben or Maley type as our targets up forward.

I was hoping getting dropped last week might fire 🔥 him up for a big game today. Has the talent and knows his way around the goals, but talent only gets you so far. I am praying that Barlow and the Forwards coaches are giving him all the right advice and guidance to keep his development on track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was hoping getting dropped last week might fire 🔥 him up for a big game today. Has the talent and knows his way around the goals, but talent only gets you so far. I am praying that Barlow and the Forwards coaches are giving him all the right advice and guidance to keep his development on track.
Have you seen our forward line operate this year? Your hope is misplaced. :stern look

Yep, Colby, Sheezel and Wardlaw look great.

Duursma's issue is that he plays like someone who should be much stronger.

He's going to be a goal kicking, high marking forward. He's basically the same height as Waterman and plays above his height. He just needs to get stronger and more confident and get a stronger understanding of forward craft.

If he keeps focussed and works hard then he will be a gun forward.

In a couple of years it will be Larkey, Duursma and a Comben or Maley type as our targets up forward.

comben is fulltime defense

Lads still a twig, need to see what he is in 2026 before any definitive judgement on his ceiling.
In an ideal world he'd play most of the year in the VFL and kick 40-50 goals on class and smarts alone. With a brief 3-5 game taste at AFL level.
But an ideal world it ain't, so plenty of learning on the job at AFL level for Zane this year.

going to be honest... i was expecting a just a tad more 'ready to go at AFL level' when we drafted him.
Can't expect them all to have an immediate impact.

Best thing for Zane is to get a couple of seasons (and pre-seasons) under his belt. Build the fitness, get some muscle and use his smarts and he'll be a weapon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back