Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma

Remove this Banner Ad

what are your concerns? he was always going to be a 40 to 60 games in him to get conditioning and adjust to afl pace player,

may as well play him in the next 19 months of dead rubbers.

If you are so inclined, go through my posts on him from August-November 2023.

1716625095674.png

No idea why we pulled out of trading pick 3 for 6 and 11, I don't want to shit to much on Zane but why would we use a top 3 pick on a skinny half forward with practically zero defensive pressure. I remember draft time last year I didn't even think about Duursma as I thought there would be zero chance we'd draft him

10 games in, turns 19 on the final day of the season...yeah he's a bust....
7525a051a2dc5ade7c02b735fdef305f.gif

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Thread is turning into a dumpster fire rapidly.

Until he puts on 10 kegs and adds AFL conditioning, no one should be making any calls on him.

He has the tools. He needs time.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is incredibly hard to put on that amount of mass AND build the requisite tank for a modern day half forward.

Until he puts on 10 kegs and adds AFL conditioning, no one should be making any calls on him.

Mate people are mainly saying he isn’t ready and should be playing reserves. Which is inarguable.

Mate people are mainly saying he isn’t ready and should be playing reserves. Which is inarguable.
Is it his running/chasing that people think needs to be improving in the two’s? That seems fair.

Because his scoring seems to be a ‘small win’ for us this year? And if a lot of others are getting the luxury of staying in the side it’s tough to say what the standard is when it comes to solidifying your spot on this team.

Brayden George seems like the only replacement

No idea why we pulled out of trading pick 3 for 6 and 11, I don't want to s**t to much on Zane but why would we use a top 3 pick on a skinny half forward with practically zero defensive pressure. I remember draft time last year I didn't even think about Duursma as I thought there would be zero chance we'd draft him
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but having 2 of Sanders, O'Sullivan, Caddy, Windsor or Wilson would've plugged a couple of bigger holes than HFF....

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what the point of subbing him off today was, especially with a bye coming up.
Try something different, like play him as a 7th defender and try and use him as a distributor on the way out. Anything is better than him sitting on the bench.

Giving game time to Lazzaro over him is ridiculous.

Of course he’s gonna suck in his first year.

Thats not the issue.

The fact he was jogging for a ground ball inside forward 50 is unacceptable. Just shows how bad the list is that he was selected in the first place.

Has gone backwards considerably since the opening few rounds so now should go back to the VFL for a couple months.

When people tell me, “Duursma will be a player, but he’s gonna take time. But he’ll never be in the same stratosphere as Harley Reid.”
I just tell them “I’m happy with what we’ve got.”

Hard not to be excited about Zane.

With his leap and overhead marking, combined with his footskills, could see him becoming a Sicily-esque gun intercept defender.

Could transition from a half forward to becoming a genuine midfielder, a Connor Rozee type, smooth mover and classy with the ball in hand.

And he's so good in the air, could definitely play as a 2nd or 3rd tall, a nightmare matchup who can beat you in the air and when the ball hits the deck.

He could genuinely be anything.
Noice.

He's talented enough to be a good player, so not concerned that he's not good enough. Not at all.

BUT...its really hard to be a forward of that size without and explosive traits. Really hard. I hope they're working on deciding what his future position is going to be.

He's talented enough to be a good player, so not concerned that he's not good enough. Not at all.

BUT...its really hard to be a forward of that size without and explosive traits. Really hard. I hope they're working on deciding what his future position is going to be.
Footy IQ is where he excels and has good hops

10 games in, turns 19 on the final day of the season...yeah he's a bust....
7525a051a2dc5ade7c02b735fdef305f.gif

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Well, he's definitely not taking the competition by storm like Dan Curtain who we should have taken lol.

Let's see where he is after a few pre-season and when the forward line has some more structure.

I remember reading similar posts re Joel Crocker. I think he actually lost weight while he was at NMFC. Have you seen the change in body shape of Harley Reid in his 6 mths at WCE??? Extraordinary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back