Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep the faith, DF. The lad can play. The HFF flank is a tough gig in our current set-up.

If we give him good looks, he'll kick them. The problems are further afield with the ball movement IMO.

That said, needs to show more intensity when we don't have the ball.
He won’t at the moment as he’s not physically ready. That’s the problem.

When he has had looks his goal kicking has been below average.

He won’t at the moment as he’s not physically ready. That’s the problem.

When he has had looks his goal kicking has been below average.
The Luke Mac curse. In preseason Zane was lining up on goal and Luke was commentating. Said this kid never misses. He missed.

The bye has come at a good time for Zane, he is a young player playing in his first season. Another first year player I spoke to last week was saying how his body is now feeling a bit heavy, whereas in the first few weeks the body felt great. I thought it was a good insight into what it is like stepping up to AFL footy and I’d imagine Zane would be feeling similar.

He has shown us what he can do, in round 1 he was timing his marks and taking them from 3 deep. In round 2 he had 11 marks against freo. His goal sense and set shot for goal are all there.

For me a player in his position needs to keep playing AFL where he can get used to the pace of the game and learn how to read the play. It is completely different at VFL level, where it’s more about finding touch and the ball movement can be hit and miss.

He just needs a bit of a rest and some conditioning and he’ll be fine. I want him playing in the ones for his development, but he needs to be doing more to hold a spot in the side.

There is something I find uneasy about Zane. Not meaning to disparage him but still can't quite put my finger on it.

Like I'm not convinced he has or will fully buy into our club.

Most probably wrong, often are.
With no basis whatsoever, I too feel that uneasiness. Would kill us to lose him, LDU in an off-season.

With no basis whatsoever, I too feel that uneasiness. Would kill us to lose him, LDU in an off-season.

I think a lot of us do, I'm chalking it up to the fact that his brother plays for Essendon and that we have bled a couple of players (and even our coach) to that club recently. However, we can only cross these bridges when we come to them. For now I'm only interested in Zane's role on the field and how he can develop to be the best he can for our team.

He seems alright happiness-wise, so worrying about buy-in will ultimately do little for any of us at present.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One on them ITK types posted that his fitness wasn't great when he arrived.
His first pre-season was never going to fix that, let's be fair.

I have zero concern for this youngster at this stage of proceedings.

Exactly ths.

He has a lovely long set shot for goal on him too

Which is why Wil Dawson is playing now right.

Wouldn't be getting a game at 17 other AFL clubs and you know it. Shouldn't be playing here - he's clearly not ready.

Don't pretend like NMFC are an example to laud right now. We're scraping the bottom of our shallow barrel due to the state of our list, playing guys who clearly aren't ready or aren't AFL standard, just out of pure necessity.

You heard dermie when he was subbed off.

‘Not sure what he is going to learn from there’

His skills are good at both afl and vfl level, so if he gets the chance to learn about the required speed and physicality. It’s a win win in a developing side.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be getting a game at 17 other AFL clubs and you know it. Shouldn't be playing here - he's clearly not ready.

He looks fine to me and he'd certainly be playing at Richmond amongst others,

Don't pretend like NMFC are an example to laud right now. We're scraping the bottom of our shallow barrel due to the state of our list, playing guys who clearly aren't ready or aren't AFL standard, just out of pure necessity.

No, we're playing Wil because we're developing a very solid gameplan unit by unit.

Since Wil has come in, Corr has played some of his best footy for the club.

Curtin may well end up a star, as may well Duursma, its too early to make dumb calls writing of draftess after half a season lol.

Personally, I like a lot of what I see in Duursma, and he's got plenty to work on too.

I'd actually give him more responsibility next year.

One on them ITK types posted that his fitness wasn't great when he arrived.
His first pre-season was never going to fix that, let's be fair.

I have zero concern for this youngster at this stage of proceedings.
anyone labelling him as bust this early is just being plain silly.

but surely you expected just a tad more from him so far? even in our shoddy team.

anyone labelling him as bust this early is just being plain silly.

but surely you expected just a tad more from him so far? even in our shoddy team.
With Will Phillips most likely moving on at the end of this year the North Big Footy ’Experts’ are already transitioning to our next top end pick whipping boy, prepare yourself for at least 2 years of;
why didn't we draft…
he's not a pick 4…
we could have had…
should have gone harder for Harley Reid… etc.

Last edited:
With Will Phillips most likely moving on a the end of this year the North Big Footy ’Experts’ are already transitioning to our next top end pick whipping boy, prepare yourself for at least 2 years of;
why didn't we draft…
he's not a pick 3…
we could have had…
should have gone harder for Harley Reid… etc.

I think Daicos and Harry’s rookie years have fried everyone’s brains on what a first year player should be doing.

They should be inconsistent, but show glimpses. Pretty much Zane’s year. Jed Walter has been the exact same.

Those saying ‘he wouldn’t be playing at any other club’. Um, half our f**king list wouldn’t be playing at another club. A 50kg, 18 year old shouldn’t be playing 1’s yet. Zane is no where near a finished product, but there is an argument for learning in the 1’s or learning in the 2’s, and Clarko wants him learning in the 1’s. And our depth is so ****, that he would be getting replaced by someone worse than him.

Some blokes come in ready made in body size (Reid, Rowell), or fitness levels (Wilson) and they succeed earlier than some. Zane isn’t either of those.

The size thing is less of an issue but the concern is his disposal/quality of it. Which you're all ignoring in the analysis.
He doesn't look great with the ball in hand and when he's rarely getting it then it only exacerbates the issue.

Timing of his jumps has been poor as well but the hope is that he's doing that partly because of his lack of size and being conscious about what's behind him.

I think Daicos and Harry’s rookie years have fried everyone’s brains on what a first year player should be doing.

They should be inconsistent, but show glimpses. Pretty much Zane’s year. Jed Walter has been the exact same.

Those saying ‘he wouldn’t be playing at any other club’. Um, half our f*king list wouldn’t be playing at another club. A 50kg, 18 year old shouldn’t be playing 1’s yet. Zane is no where near a finished product, but there is an argument for learning in the 1’s or learning in the 2’s, and Clarko wants him learning in the 1’s. And our depth is so ***, that he would be getting replaced by someone worse than him.

Some blokes come in ready made in body size (Reid, Rowell), or fitness levels (Wilson) and they succeed earlier than some. Zane isn’t either of those.
Sheezel too.

The size thing is less of an issue but the concern is his disposal/quality of it. Which you're all ignoring in the analysis.
He doesn't look great with the ball in hand and when he's rarely getting it then it only exacerbates the issue.

Timing of his jumps has been poor as well but the hope is that he's doing that partly because of his lack of size and being conscious about what's behind him.

Would love to see him get more of it, but I’m the opposite to you, in that I think he does good things when he gets it. But that’s only an eye test thing, I’ve got no numbers to back me up. Someone will probably show me something that his disposal efficiency is putrid.

Would love to see him get more of it, but I’m the opposite to you, in that I think he does good things when he gets it. But that’s only an eye test thing, I’ve got no numbers to back me up. Someone will probably show me something that his disposal efficiency is putrid.
Not sure what it is either but disposal efficiency can be deceptive. Missing an easy target and accidentally kicking to a 50/50 counts as effective, whereas going for a really difficult pinpoint kick inside 50 and someone just happens to intercept would count as ineffective. Another thing that impacts it is the amount of easy disposals one gets where they're kicking or handballing to a target 20 metres in space where it's impossible to miss.

Disposal quality really is about the eye test. Bailey Scott doesn't have a terrible disposal efficiency but most people acknowledge his disposal is very average.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back