Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Hope to see him back but after watching this clip its fair to say I'm a little less hopeful. Looks more like a dad in the park with kids than an AFL footballer about to play finals.

Imagine what conditioning is needed for him to be ready to face Bulldogs or Hawthorn?

Hope to see him back but after watching this clip its fair to say I'm a little less hopeful. Looks more like a dad in the park with kids than an AFL footballer about to play finals.

Imagine what conditioning is needed for him to be ready to face Bulldogs or Hawthorn?

It's a little overstated.

He's been heavier for the last few years, his body shape was like that in the pre-season games and he absolutely brained it, he has changed his body type to much bigger through the core over the past 5 years, when he started more contested stuff through center bounces

Playing VFL development league this week as North Ballarat have a bye.

I'd hate to be the C-grade team he's lining up against.

Don't think there's much of a weight issue - building match fitness obviously the goal, but keep in mind that blokes at VFL are going to make AFL blokes like a bit bigger than usual.

Last edited:
It's a little overstated.

He's been heavier for the last few years, his body shape was like that in the pre-season games and he absolutely brained it, he has changed his body type to much bigger through the core over the past 5 years, when he started more contested stuff through center bounces
Exactly. Wellsy can't play injured but he can play fat. :stern look

It's also the right answer.
Not in the eyes of the selection committee. And their answer is the right one for all intents and purposes.

If we scrape into the finals, I can see Wells perhaps being fit enough. No point bringing him earlier, though.

I believe the most important issue was how he recovered the next day after playing ?
any news?
Drew said on the Sunday Footy Show that he was quite sore at recovery that morning but he's playing again this weekend so must be fine.

Not in the eyes of the selection committee. And their answer is the right one for all intents and purposes.

If we scrape into the finals, I can see Wells perhaps being fit enough. No point bringing him earlier, though.

With our slower buildup, his greatest strength is of little use.

This is the same selection committee that played Aaron Black through injury for the majority of 2014.

They're hardly infallible.

play him for a half and a bit and sub him off…

No point playing him in the VFL two's.
Can't afford to be carrying an underdone player in such a big game. If we get an injury early on then he will be forced to play 4 quarters. Patience with Wellsy, he will hopefully be back for the dogs game and a big september

Can't afford to be carrying an underdone player in such a big game. If we get an injury early on then he will be forced to play 4 quarters. Patience with Wellsy, he will hopefully be back for the dogs game and a big september
Indeed.

There is also the increase in tempo to AFL level which will place the achillies under significant duress. Better to get it used to the movements experienced during a game at lower tempo and pressure than at AFL level.

To be fair, he's looked a bit chunkier for the past year, even in pre-season before the injury. If anything I thought he looked a bit slimmer on the weekend.
Doesn't matter.
96GF_3.jpg

Indeed.

There is also the increase in tempo to AFL level which will place the achillies under significant duress. Better to get it used to the movements experienced during a game at lower tempo and pressure than at AFL level.
And importantly, in case there is an injury to someone else, once picked for the seniors he may be forced to play a full game, which he clearly isn't ready for.

Staurt dew ring a bell the bloke was 120kg and ripped the grandfinal apart who says wells cant rip hawks apart :)

Back