Player Watch #8: Jake Lever – Signed until 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Iam still disappointed that we lost Lever as a player. He was to be a key element in our team as we moved forward. Having said that after all the crap that has been floated around my opinion of Lever as a individual has changed dramatically.
I don't think Lever is an 'individual'. He wanted to come back to Melbourne. Lots of players come and go from one side of the country to the other.

You're captain made an issue out of it that was inappropriate.

If Salem stays in defence his career will stall big time.
I don't think he will now.

B: Jetta OMac Lever
HB: Hibberd Frost Hunt

With TMac as a swingman.

Would like to see Frost start in the backline but encouraged to make his dashing runs off half back.

Would like to see Frost start in the backline but encouraged to make his dashing runs off half back.

Yeah I hope the release frost to play on a small and then destroy them on turnover. We looked brilliant with Frost and Hunt both going down the middle together

Yeah I hope the release frost to play on a small and then destroy them on turnover. We looked brilliant with Frost and Hunt both going down the middle together

I've always said he is a 185cm player stuck in a 195cm body. He isn't suited to talls but I reckon he'd do brilliantly playing on smaller players.

Ideally, I would like to see him play the majority of his time on the outside next year. A mix of playing at HB and wing would be nice for him I reckon.
Turn him into our Burgoyne. Outside link player who is a break-in-case-of-needing-a-clearance.

I don't think Lever is an 'individual'. He wanted to come back to Melbourne. Lots of players come and go from one side of the country to the other.

I'm glad the deal was done and we move on, but let's not pin this whole saga on Tex because he was upset he was leaving. I would have been upset if Walker didn't react, he just needed to be a bit more measured. For Lever's part, let's not forget he lied to the supporter base in saying he hadn't met with Melbourne, when it was confirmed he had. His manager then pulled him from the radio segment. Let's also not forget that this kid sucked up 3 years of our development and returned us one consistent season, then his far too involved father, releases info later found to be false also. There are issues on both sides.

Until the AFL as a whole gets used to player movement, then these things will happen. I'm happy for Jake he gets to go where he selected and we got fair compensation in the end. Best of luck to the Dees next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turn him into our Burgoyne. Outside link player who is a break-in-case-of-needing-a-clearance.
Yeah, that's sort of what I'm thinking. I reckon we can utilise his decision-making and kicking at HB as well as his ball-winning ability on the wing. If we need a change to our clearance team, then he can come in and try to make an impact at a pivotal moment in the game.

Jones will spend more time on the HBF I think. He’s a smart footballer and usually a good kick on both sides.
Will make way for ANB, Brayshaw, and Stretch coming through the midfield. Jones is definitely ideal to take up that HBF position for us like M Boyd for example.

Lever's a prime candidate also to take over from Jones in a few years as co-captain IMO, if Goodwin wants to keep the dual system going. Assuming Jones sticks around for another 3-4 years Lever is ideal captaincy material from all reports/junior history.

Glad it’s done and he’s officially on the list but can’t shake the feeling that considerable overs were paid.
Exactly, but hopefully Lever keeps developing brilliantly and ends up so good that the price seems worth it.

I could have used the word "person". Why I have said my opinion of him has changed dramatically revolves around the changes in his behavior. When we picked him other were ignoring him due mainly to his knee. He was so grateful and happy to be at the Crows. Stated that he wanted to be a one club player. This year that all changed. He lied about meeting up with Melbourne, he lied when he said that the club asked him not to attend the B&F and his father...well the less said about him and his antics the better. He used the old "wanting to return to family". If that were true he would have simply asked the Crows to get him back to Victoria" and as a 3 year player he had no right to say its has to be Melb. Thats a privilege reserved for RFA and FA. He is neither.

Anyway a deal has been done there is stuff all you or I can do anything about it and we are both allowed to have a difference of opinion.

One more thing. The Media.....pity they didnt check out the stories they hear to ensure they have all the facts. Its also funny how the media has to have a winner. As soon as the Smith deal was done with the Dons the first this that AFL websire askes is "who won on this trade deal". For me its all about a fair deal or a win/win deal. We may have got 2x1st picks but we still lost Lever. I dont think either side really won.

Lever's a prime candidate also to take over from Jones in a few years as co-captain IMO, if Goodwin wants to keep the dual system going. Assuming Jones sticks around for another 3-4 years Lever is ideal captaincy material from all reports/junior history.
Good luck getting past Viney as sole captain!

This will be worth it if Tom McDonald can play a full season up forward and make the switch permanent. Means we don't have to rely on Weideman to come good, and our defense is still excellent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back