Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

Becoming one of my favourite players and certainly has stepped up his game this year after being dropped earlier in the year. His overhead marking for his size is impressive!

Becoming one of my favourite players and certainly has stepped up his game this year after being dropped earlier in the year. His overhead marking for his size is impressive!
When he first started it was his dash that made us like him... Its terrific when a player can add another string to their bow...last month has been awesome.

When he first started it was his dash that made us like him... Its terrific when a player can add another string to their bow...last month has been awesome.

Has always been a good intercepting mark. It was the first thing people noticed.

His dash (or to be more accurate, his abilty to relaise when to dash) is the second string to his bow.

Has always been a good intercepting mark. It was the first thing people noticed.

His dash (or to be more accurate, his abilty to relaise when to dash) is the second string to his bow.
When he first arrived i remember timmy on sen saying look out for marty.... Hes a jet. My first impressions on him were rebounding and taking guys on.... Thats what took my eye. Sorry to speak on others behalf if i was wrong.

Yep. 5 cm.

I reckon his growth is part of the reason it's taken him a few seasons to fulfil the potential he showed as a dashing HBF in 2014.

He clearly looks to have regained a bit of dash now that he's used to his extra height. His kicking has also tidied up immensely from seemingly having 1-2 howler clangers per game to now being a safe ball user.

I reckon his growth is part of the reason it's taken him a few seasons to fulfil the potential he showed as a dashing HBF in 2014.

He clearly looks to have regained a bit of dash now that he's used to his extra height. His kicking has also tidied up immensely from seemingly having 1-2 howler clangers per game to now being a safe ball user.

Regained a bit of dash now that he's used to his extra height....... now I've heard everything....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't think there is any logic in taking time to get used to your body after growing 5+cm.
Not really.

Its not like he woke up one day and was 5 cm taller

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then why is it generally accepted that tall players take longer to develop?
Are you being serious right now?

Taller players and a bloke whos gradually put on a few cm's aren't the same thing.

Are you being serious right now?

Taller players and a bloke whos gradually put on a few cm's aren't the same thing.

From a physical perspective, tall blokes take a while because they are thin and have huge frames that take a while to fill out or they're massive and it takes a while to she'd bulk and replace it with more functional muscle mass all while trying to get fitter and dealing with injury, etc.

In the colloquial it's 'growing into your body'.

How would similar considerations not apply to Gleeson who was already a twig and who, from memory did shoot up quite dramatically as a 20 to 21 year old?

I'm not saying that he suddenly woke up uncoordinated but his centre of gravity gets that bit higher and everything longer and weaker. So rather than making physical gains he's in a holding pattern.

The club would also have been conservative with him during this time.

Last edited:
201cm tall (i.e. Daniher) and growing into that and having enough strength to hold your own with that frame and centre of gravity is a fair bit different to going from 186 to 191cm.

201cm tall (i.e. Daniher) and growing into that and having enough strength to hold your own with that frame and centre of gravity is a fair bit different to going from 186 to 191cm.

We're talkng about Gleeson who is built like a 15 year old boy. Daniher has had little difficulty stacking weight on over time.

Wallis looks like a cross between Hurley and Gleeson.

Also of course growing makes changes that can take time to get used to.

Marty has also been developed in a few ways, not just stuck in one position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back