Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve many scars of when Gleeson has been so physically overpowered in key moments.

Sydney against Rohan.

Urgh *shudders*
That game seriously still haunts me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finding the whole fetus thing to be a bit rough. Further than we normally go at a headline level.

I agree, can we change it? Let's go with "Marty Party" or "Cyborg", at least something that isn't denigrating.

Good luck to both him and Clarke but re-drafting them both as rookies just feels a bit like filling out the rookie list for the sake of it. We clearly don’t think anything of them as players. It probably speaks a bit more to the lack of young talent around this year (due to there being no VFL or NAB League etc)

Pretty sure both were contracted regardless, this just shuffles their wage partly off the cap.

Good pickup should just needs a couple pre seasons to put on some weight and could be anything

I really like this as a rookie selection. I think he has the right sized frame and can put on a lot of muscle over the summer. Should be a solid contributor for years to come.
Good pickup should just needs a couple pre seasons to put on some weight and could be anything

Imagine if he actually puts a few kg's on and becomes a genuinely good 1v1 defender.

Still yet to physically develop?
Came from Adam Cooney I believe. Used to call him that because he couldn't bulk up

From 5:08

Gleeson can play. His problem was always going to be superior competition and a better balance of attributes from the likes of Redman, Ridley and Francis. It's relegated Gleeson to spare parts in defence and the recruitment of Cox, Reid and even Brand will not help about as much as the loss of momentum caused by the injury at the start of 2018.

He's not horrible at playing as a small defender but it doesn't suit him. He's tall and lanky, not powerful and suited to players with low centres of gravity. He's most suited to playing mid-sized/third tall chopping the ball off at half back but he's only going to play that role as depth.

He was hardly alone in having a poor year in 2020. I don't think he'll get the opportunity to bounce back. The reduced list sizes and the glut of options we have for his preferred position in the next few years probably end his time at Essendon in about 10 months. He's a much better player than a de-listing. If he does what he should in the VFL this year I'd be confident he'll be on an AFL list in 2022.

It is possible he's needed for his experience if the bottom falls out of Hooker and Hurley sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back