Player Watch #9 Lucy McEvoy (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Lucy McEvoy - sounds like a good acquisition. Medium defender. Gun junior. Done well at Carlton. Welcome Lucy!

This is what CFC's website says about her:

Carlton debut: Round 1, 2020
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons/Geelong VFLW

A natural leader and one of the clear standouts of the draft pool, Lucy McEvoy officially became a Blue after being selected with pick No.2 in the 2019 NAB AFL Women’s Draft.

McEvoy was an All-Australian in 2019 after starring in the NAB League, the NAB AFLW Under 18 Championships (Vic Country) and VFLW competition (Geelong). McEvoy had a stellar first year in the Navy Blue.

Combining her time between the midfield and the forward line, McEvoy proved herself early as a competitor on ball and around the contest. McEvoy's 2021 campaign was slightly hindered by an injury that saw her miss the first two games, but she came out swinging and made up for lost time after that.

McEvoy only missed one game for the season in the summer of 2022, playing as a mixture of half back and in the midfield. Her first season across half back proved fruitful, fulfilling a role where she was supporting Kerryn Harrington and Gab Pound with her strong kicking and bullish skills around the contest.

Draft history: 2019 NAB AFLW Draft 1st round selection, No.2 overall.

Maybe add this to her player thread when SwansProudly starts it?

Lucy McEvoy lands in Sydney​

LucyMcEvoy.jpg

Originally pick No.2 overall in the 2019 draft, McEvoy has spent most of her time in the midfield and played every game but one in season 2022.

The 21-year-old said she can’t wait to get to Sydney to start a new chapter.

“I’m very excited. It's an amazing opportunity to be playing for the Sydney Swans and getting up to a new state, new environment, new club, new people, all of it!”, said McEvoy.

“After speaking to the Swans a couple of times, the program they have put together is really well run and the people they have in the program are really passionate about it.

Hey guys.

If her surname is familiar, it’s because Ben McEvoy is her first cousin.

“After chatting with the Sydney Swans, it was clear this was the perfect opportunity to do that - the nice weather is also pretty enticing to be honest.
“The Club - through conversations I’ve had and the people I’ve met already - is really appealing to me.”

Please do not let Lucy compare notes with Dane about tripping over
Podcast:
It was the middle of the day on a Monday and I tripped on a curb," McEvoy said.
"It's so common, but to do that much damage tripping on a curb – I tried to grab a tree as I fell. It just wrenched it back and I got up and I could still lift it above my head and move it around. I thought it was just a stinger-kind of a thing, because you don't think you could do that kind of damage just tripping on a curb, like who does that? Of course I do.
"We just thought it was nothing major, but I (gradually) couldn't lift it at all, not because it was sore, but it was stuck. It was so weird.
"So, lesson learned, don't text and walk, same as don't text and drive."

It's interesting to hear that she reached out to Scotty Gowan and the Swans rather than the other way around and that was in large part due to the schemozzles happening at Carlton at the time. Also great to hear her sound so positive about being at the Swans. Overall these athletes speak very impressively - in Lucy's case, particularly when you consider she just turned 22 last month.

Just smile and have fun Lucy :)
LUCY McEvoy is expecting plenty of 's**t-talking' when Sydney takes on her former side Carlton at Ikon Park this Friday.
Relishing a more permanent switch to the back line, the Swans’ captain doesn’t quite know how the Blues will feel running out against her – but she’s sure they’ll let her know early.
“It’ll be weird,” McEvoy said.
“Being back at Ikon in the visitors will be very different. I’d been there a few times and had often thought ‘hey this isn’t that bad for a visiting team’ but that’ll be a strange feeling.
“I'm not too sure yet what to expect from the Carlton girls. Will they talk a little bit of banter or completely blank me? I'm not sure.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back