Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU parks talks w/ NMFC - leads team to monster win over WCE w 26d/3clr game in Rd13

Remove this Banner Ad

This narrative by some we should look at maximising a return on Ldu is ridiculous.

We I feel are in grave danger of being seen as a factory for bigger clubs to pick off at will.

What was once a strength in player retention is now very much a the cross roads

Wells
Gibson
Hale
Goldstein
Mckay
Tarrant
Higgins

Horne Francis
Petrie

All finished elsewhere for varying reasons, personally I think it’s a big part of why we sit where we sit right now

If for example we lose
Ldu
Scott
Zurhar

In next 12-24 months how’s that look for

Sheezel
Wardlaw
Dursma etc etc

This obsession with draft picks and shiny new toys has come at a real cost to the fabric of this club

surely you jest??

most of the bolded were cooked and goldie didnt fit as we were developing X.

magoo got us zane so going forward that will be a win.

fwiw brown and wood were bigger losses than most on that list.

Last edited:
surely you jest??

No jest whatsoever,
The never ending cycle of misery is now at year 8
Constantly going back to top end of draft then cycling players like an LDU , McKay and potentially Bull and Scott as they about to enter there prime is a farcical plan and we are looking at the evidence weekly

No doubt most of the players I mentioned were past there best when they left , but were we better for them leaving ?
Are we better now for there leaving ?
And what does it say to our current players we are trying to buy into our club and take it back to being respectable?

surely you jest??

Gibson was 15 years ago.

Hale was stuck behind Petrie, McIntosh and we had Goldstein developing.

Alot of those listed were offered contracts but took better lucre elsewhere.

JHF was a situation out of the box.

McKay netted us pick 3 and we had a replacement ready to go. Any intelligent team in our spot would do that.

I doubt Goldstein would have been a happy camper being second fiddle to Xerri.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

No jest whatsoever,
The never ending cycle of misery is now at year 8
Constantly going back to top end of draft then cycling players like an LDU , McKay and potentially Bull and Scott as they about to enter there prime is a farcical plan and we are looking at the evidence weekly

No doubt most of the players I mentioned were past there best when they left , but were we better for them leaving ?
Are we better now for there leaving ?
And what does it say to our current players we are trying to buy into our club and take it back to being respectable?
its not who we let go, its who we bought in thats the tragedy,

-polec,
-cj
-biggy
-stevens

little point freeing up list spots when as soon as they are out the door you fill the spots with plodders on long contracts. i dont care for the money as we are miles away from the Min TPP anyway, but stevens and ccj on 4 year deals, please spare me.

Gibson was 15 years ago.

Hale was stuck behind Petrie, McIntosh and we had Goldstein developing.

Alot of those listed were offered contracts but took better lucre elsewhere.

JHF was a situation out of the box.

McKay netted us pick 3 and we had a replacement ready to go. Any intelligent team in our spot would do that.

I doubt Goldstein would have been a happy camper being second fiddle to Xerri.

Cause the last 15 years have been fantastic?
There are arguments for and against for each of those players of course

But my point remains that the constant revolving doors of waiting for the next shiny door has to stop

And that the thought that somehow losing LDU can be spun as a win is beyond ludicrous

Cause the last 15 years have been fantastic?
There are arguments for and against for each of those players of course

But my point remains that the constant revolving doors of waiting for the next shiny door has to stop

And that the thought that somehow losing LDU can be spun as a win is beyond ludicrous
For 10 of those years we've been competitive if not aspiring for greatness. There's a yearning from some qtrs to get back to those days so it couldn't have been all bad.

And it's hardly been a revolving door. Three players in 15 years entering their peak years, or in Fabian jnr's case, just starting out,have left.

For 10 of those years we've been competitive if not aspiring for greatness. There's a yearning from some qtrs to get back to those days so it couldn't have been all bad.

And it's hardly been a revolving door. Three players in 15 years entering their peak years, or in Fabian jnr's case, just starting out,have left.

Yet people here seem happy to keep adding to that with arguably our best player in the prime of his career?
LDU , Scott and zurhhar are really big tests to what we stand for and where we are going.
We all lament our lack of 25-30 senior players the loss of 3 who are about to enter that age bracket and experience level is madness

Yet people here seem happy to keep adding to that with arguably our best player in the prime of his career?
LDU , Scott and zurhhar are really big tests to what we stand for and where we are going.
We all lament our lack of 25-30 senior players the loss of 3 who are about to enter that age bracket and experience level is madness
We'll see what they do. None of them have left yet.

I've a feeling that the club will do what they can to keep them.

He was fantastic
Should get the 3 Brownlow votes no other player came close to him in having a complete game especially any of the * players.... If Martin gets the votes I'll 🤮🤮🤮 ....even if Wright does

If LDU goes then all of the defensive focus from opposition coaches shifts elsewhere.

Sheez, Wardlaw and co are only going to benefit to having someone else there as the true #1 midfielder so they can go about developing as AFL footballers without the added pressure of having to be the best player on the team with under 50 games of experience.

You do realize that for us to be competitive, we need more than 1 running mid right.

We've had the same problem since laidley days were we rely on 2 mids to run, i.e. harvey wells.

We need everyone to attack and take on the opp so they can't just 'focus' on anyone.

This can only happen when ldu goes so the the 2022 and beyond crop can take centre stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This narrative by some we should look at maximising a return on Ldu is ridiculous.

We I feel are in grave danger of being seen as a factory for bigger clubs to pick off at will.

What was once a strength in player retention is now very much a the cross roads

Wells
Gibson
Hale
Goldstein
Mckay
Tarrant
Higgins
Horne Francis
Petrie

All finished elsewhere for varying reasons, personally I think it’s a big part of why we sit where we sit right now

If for example we lose
Ldu
Scott
Zurhar

In next 12-24 months how’s that look for

Sheezel
Wardlaw
Dursma etc etc

This obsession with draft picks and shiny new toys has come at a real cost to the fabric of this club

Im sorry, how were they picked off? Well were let go after 16 years, gibson was shit back in 09, hale stayed for 9 years, goldstein 15 years, mackay 8 years, tarrant 15 years, higgin 7 years, petrie 15 years.

From sheezal onwards, they arrive the club when it's at bottom, there is almost no chance for them to leave unless for extraordinary reasons.

You do realize that for us to be competitive, we need more than 1 running mid right.

We've had the same problem since laidley days were we rely on 2 mids to run, i.e. harvey wells.

We need everyone to attack and take on the opp so they can't just 'focus' on anyone.

This can only happen when ldu goes so the the 2022 and beyond crop can take centre stage.
Yes I am well aware but the issue is we don't have other guys stepping up to demand opposition attention.

Yes I am well aware but the issue is we don't have other guys stepping up to demand opposition attention.

Others won't step up when they perceive there are players leading them.

The crux of the issue is that those we youngster look up to (mcdonald, zurhaar, ldu, scott) are in some ways less skilled and commited than the youngsters, that's the problem.

We need to force the evolution of the playing list, in particular the core.

Seriously, after what you just watched today you think we will be better off long term by trading out LDU?

I’m holding back from replying how I’d like to if I’m honest. Bewildering.

Seriously, after what you just watched today you think we will be better off long term by trading out LDU?

I’m holding back from replying how I’d like to if I’m honest. Bewildering.

So he does this once out of 10 games...

This precisely show why he needs to be gone because he is of an age and experience where he needs to lead but once does good work once every 10 games.

You rather have a bunch of players who perform more consistently and grow together.

It's not, it's the reality, as funny as it sounds, he is in no-man's land.

He is too old by the time we contend, he currently has no support, he is an age & experience to lead but he doesn't want to.

He is a middle of nowhere player, he is alone. The only logical solution is for him to leave.

So he does this once out of 10 games...

This precisely show why he needs to be gone because he is of an age and experience where he needs to lead but once does good work once every 10 games.

You rather have a bunch of players who perform more consistently and grow together.
Offer him what ever he wants. We go backwards, again, if he walks. A must keep!

Offer him what ever he wants. We go backwards, again, if he walks. A must keep!
Collingwood have Pendles doing what he wants at 37. Most clubs have gun midfielders in their 30's still playing. LDU will be late 20's, early 30's when we are having a tilt. A must keep!!!

Collingwood have Pendles doing what he wants at 37. Most clubs have gun midfielders in their 30's still playing. LDU will be late 20's, early 30's when we are having a tilt. A must keep!!!
Explosive mids develop niggles late in their career opposed to calm-measured classy left footers with no elite speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back