Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Disagree entirely, King.

You are welcome to shine your all-knowing light on the matter of course. I’m sure I’ll be enthralled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am agreeing with your point ...

we are going well

I am saying like you said yes people expect something unrealistic and they (the you) i referred to , don't understand his role

we are going well

I am saying like you said yes people expect something unrealistic and they (the you) i referred to , don't understand his role

Oh… you said "you" so I assumed it was at me.

My apologies, mate.

My apologies, mate.

My bad I wasn't very clear sorry , am walking around the supermarket typing 🤪

we are going well

My apologies, mate.

Lol! We (not just you two) seem to do a lot of this... ha, ha, ha...

Love ya mate but you've lost the plot.

Happy to be the you.

And we can amicably disagree and argue the toss.

All of us usually admit we get some things right and other things not so much.

I did give Will some votes today. First time in ages. I expect this would be the same for some other folks

Happy to be the you.

And we can amicably disagree and argue the toss.

All of us usually admit we get some things right and other things not so much.

I did give Will some votes today. First time in ages. I expect this would be the same for some other folks
I have high hopes for this kid. An upgrade on Hayward in the medium term
I do recall you were talking about HHK?

At least you are consistent over the long term

I do recall you were talking about HHK?

At least you are consistent over the long term

I remain disappointed this bloke did not get a go. Smart, good kick (inc for goal) and tough.

Until Buller got there in msd last year he was usually the tallest forward unless Cameron was counted. And sadly somehow that overawed Cameron kid was rarely counted.

I really hoped HHK would not be cut at the end of last year. I expect the last spot on the list was between Reid and Hugo.

Alas, the Club imo went the wrong way. At least HHK plays actual games of footy

The Reid investment since the 22 PF has been a complete and utter sink hole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

happy to keep hayward but dont overpay if adelaide/port are having a huge crack at him
This is me too. So if we extend him sooner rather than later, it probably means we've gotten a better deal. If Crows and Port underperform by seasons end, they'll only get more desperate.

Tom Morris on SEN said there is not signing in sight and it will go well into the season , he also expects the Swans not to pay 800 K which others will . He does get good mail .
Hayward might be the guy Gulden was talking about when he said we should take pay cuts to keep playing together

No body language expert but the last week or so I have been really worried that Hayword is leaving. Just has the vibe of someone who is doing his best to leave on a high but with an edge of sadness.. Really, really hope I am totally wrong as I think he is awesome - doesn't always have the best or flashiest game on the park but is super talented, does his utter best, totally unselfish, puts his body on the line and more often than not is right where we need him to be. Never get the love for a shiny new thing when we have such a classy, durable act on the field.

If I was Will, I would wait to seasons end. Win a flag or come close, sign on for another 2 years then head home to play out my career. I think most players would sacrifice some cash in the pursuit of a few flags.

If we fall off a cliff between now and seasons end, then a move to another club in their premiership window for more cash makes sense, especially if it's one of the Adelaide sides.

No body language expert but the last week or so I have been really worried that Hayword is leaving. Just has the vibe of someone who is doing his best to leave on a high but with an edge of sadness.. Really, really hope I am totally wrong as I think he is awesome - doesn't always have the best or flashiest game on the park but is super talented, does his utter best, totally unselfish, puts his body on the line and more often than not is right where we need him to be. Never get the love for a shiny new thing when we have such a classy, durable act on the field.

Maybe he ate some bad corn

His partner & business is based in Sydney, so the contract $$$ will need to be significant for him to move imo. I think 500- 600k is fair for our list, maybe with a few performance incentives?

He's playing his best football while in contract negotiation which is a positive & also scary, does he need that type of incentive to perform at this level?

Added to the complexity is his love for the club, teammates & being part of a legitimate premiership contender.

My prediction we sign him on a 2-3 year contract around 550-600K with possible performance triggers. That would take him upto 28yo where he can cash in if he continues his performance & we win premiership(s).

Imo Florent etc. re-signing will make a big impact on his desire to stay at the club.

IMO it's not just about $$ per se. It's about feeling valued. Clearly we trust him enough to select him every week and we trust him to play an important role. But if we are offering him a much inferior deal, or if we are holding out on offering him a deal at all while we sort out other, higher priority business, then that does send a message. Likewise if we are prioritising others ahead of him, including his mate Olly, that could sting.

IMO it's fair enough that we prioritise others ahead of him. He hasn't finished top 10 in the B&F 4 years in a row like Olly. In fact I don't know if he has ever finished top 10. So hopefully he will understand that our priorities are based on his performances and not feel too stung by that. Even still, it's a situation that needs to be handled with a lot of sensitivity if we are hoping that he will accept significant unders to stay. I think a 10% difference in contract between what we're offering and what another club offers would be a no-brainer for him and he would stay. But if we offer, say, 3 x $600K and another club offers 5 x $800K, then that's a massive difference and he's got a tough decision to make. Hopefully with no hard feelings but it's a big ask. If the difference were even bigger it would start to get insulting.

Anyway it seems like it's going to be a fair while before we get clarity. I think if we get to finals and he hasn't re-signed, he's going. In which case, I hope we can send him out a premiership player and I will wish him well.

If I was Will, I would wait to seasons end. Win a flag or come close, sign on for another 2 years then head home to play out my career. I think most players would sacrifice some cash in the pursuit of a few flags.

If we fall off a cliff between now and seasons end, then a move to another club in their premiership window for more cash makes sense, especially if it's one of the Adelaide sides.
Except he can't wait until seasons end. Teams are going to want an answer so they can get their list settled coming up to Draft time.

Unfortunately I don't think we can keep him given the $$ he's going to be commanding and the other contracts we have coming up. Remembering we have Chad due next year and I'm hearing the drums from WA are very very loud.

Anyway it seems like it's going to be a fair while before we get clarity. I think if we get to finals and he hasn't re-signed, he's going. In which case, I hope we can send him out a premiership player and I will wish him well.
Well said Calli.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back