Preview Round 9: Swans vs Fremantle (and SCG Family Sing-a-Long)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair we lose a player to concussion who didn’t suffer a hit to the head during the last game. Sums up our season.
Something is a miss somewhere if he missed 2 from the initial knock then played suffered no head contact of note and now has symptoms again. You are spot on though season is dogshit now with injuries to key players Rampe and Reid inclusive and lets not hide the fact we have been poor as a whole. Several individuals gone backwards.

Must win or the season is toast.

I hope Hickey is ready and hasn't been rushed back underdone otherwise I fear we'll be running with a half fit Hickey for the rest of the season which will do us no favours.

Glad to see Gould picked, I'd rather have Gould make a few errors than park a key midfielder in the backline (Mills - for those playing at home).

IMO Gould will play back and Francis might swing back and forth to allow McLean to help out in the ruck (as I suspect Hickey's load will be managed somewhat on return.)

Basically the same set-up as last week, just with Gould replacing McCartin and Hickey replacing Ladhams.

IMO Gould will play back and Francis might swing back and forth to allow McLean to help out in the ruck (as I suspect Hickey's load will be managed somewhat on return.)

Basically the same set-up as last week, just with Gould replacing McCartin and Hickey replacing Ladhams.

I hope not, sick of seeing such a tall fwd line when our fwd 50 pressure has been shithouse but I agree with you

I hope not, sick of seeing such a tall fwd line when our fwd 50 pressure has been shithouse but I agree with you
We've had a three-tall forward line since round 1, 2021. Horse really likes it and doesn't seem to want to stray from it. And I can totally see why, given how successful it's been.

So I don't think the talls are to blame for the lack of pressure. McDonald & McLean are both very good at bringing the ball to ground. From there, it's up to our ground level players to lock it in. We have a few forwards who I just don't think are physical enough (Papley as I mentioned earlier, Hayward, Clarke and, when he was playing forward, Cunningham.) Combined with a midfield who are bang average at stoppages all over the ground, including inside 50 (16th for stoppage clearances in the comp), I think there's enough blame to be shared amongst that lot. At least we know exactly where to look for the improvement to come from though.

We've had a three-tall forward line since round 1, 2021. Horse really likes it and doesn't seem to want to stray from it. And I can totally see why, given how successful it's been.

So I don't think the talls are to blame for the lack of pressure. McDonald & McLean are both very good at bringing the ball to ground. From there, it's up to our ground level players to lock it in. We have a few forwards who I just don't think are physical enough (Papley as I mentioned earlier, Hayward, Clarke and, when he was playing forward, Cunningham.) Combined with a midfield who are bang average at stoppages all over the ground, including inside 50 (16th for stoppage clearances in the comp), I think there's enough blame to be shared amongst that lot. At least we know exactly where to look for the improvement to come from though.

Yep, it worked due to form but also the athleticism of those talls at the time were far better than what we've had this season. Reid's unavailability & then Franklins athleticism has diminished enough to make playing all 3 talls (Franklin, Mclean, Mcdonald) a liability for our fwd 50 pressure this season imo. It's been just enough to have a domino effect. Obvs doesn't help with the smaller, medium fwds being out of form too.

Maybe horse giving this man more of a free reign can help with some of the stoppage issues?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, it worked due to form but also the athleticism of those talls at the time were far better than what we've had this season. Reid's unavailability & then Franklins athleticism has diminished enough to make playing all 3 talls (Franklin, Mclean, Mcdonald) a liability for our fwd 50 pressure this season imo. It's been just enough to have a domino effect. Obvs doesn't help with the smaller, medium fwds being out of form too.

Maybe horse giving this man more of a free reign can help with some of the stoppage issues?

Damn. I've always considered Rowbottom to be damaging, but Champion Data saying it has me reconsidering that now.

Regarding the talls, I wonder if Francis might be a better option than Buddy? He hasn't exactly screamed 'athletic freak' so far, but he's got a decent leap and a bit of toe. I wonder, if given say a tackle or pressure act quota to meet each week, whether Francis could perhaps offer more than Buddy? But then he's not proven to be an accurate kick so far (but then neither has Buddy...)

Got this from the Coach Bombay 1992 Los Angeles goodwill games playbook.

Heeney to second ruck instead of McLean. Keeps up athletically with Jackson and Gives us an extra midfielder in the centre.

McLean stays forward so we can high bomb as we usually do all day.

No need to pin point a leading (lol) target. And Heeney may have a chance of averaging more than 15 disposals a game. Also no need for him to practice set shots.

Heeney to second ruck instead of McLean. Keeps up athletically with Jackson and Gives us an extra midfielder in the centre.

No need to pin point a leading (lol) target. And Heeney may have a chance of averaging more than 15 disposals a game. Also no need for him to practice set shots.

Get Heeney to ruck full time imo get him involved in the game at least

Am expecting Horse to orchestrate a massive game of Tag this week.

Most of the team will be assigned tagging duties. This includes Buddy who will take Three Freo defenders when Parker, Lloyd and others bomb the ball I50. Mills will tag mids at CBsand then drift back.

In a surprise move Gulden will run with Jackson.” They were the best players from their draft year and I had full confidence Errol would do the job”, Horse explained later in his presser.

In another shock tactic the Swans MC made Big Mac the sub. “Yes, we were worried about the aerial threat Fyffe posed as their sub. The Big Mac has shown he now knows the diff between a line out and a throw in. We have been pleased he has learned which way we are kicking. We also saw him as a replacement for one of our mids or smalls if they were injured.”

Speaking of big, many Swans people were delighted with the selection of Will Gould. It is understood it is mere coincidence that such Swans own KFC franchises, are investors in doughnuts and cheesecake or own butter processing facilities. At his post game presser Mr Horse was asked about the selection of Will and the use of oxygen when he appeared puffed during the warm up lap. “The SCG being a smaller ground suits the physical attributes Will possesses. Yes he struggled to keep up today but this is all part of his growing process. I’d add there is no truth to the rumour the fatty boombas at the Eagles have made Trade inquiries about Will.” Mr Horse said.

A big talking point during the week was whether goal kicking practice was happening. This was raised by a journo at the post game presser after the Bloods had kicked 3-17 with several out on the full. “Have you ever kicked for goal from 30m out?” Responded Mr Horse.

Can't we just use the flying V ?

Last edited:
Am expecting Horse to orchestrate a massive game of Tag this week.

Most of the team will be assigned tagging duties. This includes Buddy who will take Three Freo defenders when Parker, Lloyd and others bomb the ball I50. Mills will tag mids at CBsand then drift back.

In a surprise move Gulden will run with Jackson.” They were the best players from their draft year and I had full confidence Errol would do the job”, Horse explained later in his presser.

In another shock tactic the Swans MC made Big Mac the sub. “Yes, we were worried about the aerial threat Fyffe posed as their sub. The Big Mac has shown he now knows the diff between a line out and a throw in. We have been pleased he has learned which way we are kicking. We also saw him as a replacement for one of our mids or smalls if they were injured.”

Speaking of big, many Swans people were delighted with the selection of Will Gould. It is understood it is mere coincidence that such Swans own KFC franchises, are investors in doughnuts and cheesecake or own butter processing facilities. At his post game presser Mr Horse was asked about the selection of Will and the use of oxygen when he appeared puffed during the warm up lap. “The SCG being a smaller ground suits the physical attributes Will possesses. Yes he struggled to keep up today but this is all part of his growing process. I’d add there is no truth to the rumour the fatty boombas at the Eagles have made Trade inquiries about Will.” Mr Horse said.

A big talking point during the week was whether goal kicking practice was happening. This was raised by a journo at the post game presser after the Bloods had kicked 3-17 with several out on the full. “Have you ever kicked for goal from 30m out?” Responded Mr Horse.
ngl..

Was expecting a "No sir, I don't like it" from all of that.

ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

Incidentally, what he's holding is both of our clubs seasons.

Oh Sheather could be sub.

Wouldn't hate that.

He's the most versatile of the 4. IMO.

Oh Sheather could be sub.

Wouldn't hate that.

He's the most versatile of the 4. IMO.
Or we could just pick someone from outside the emergency list like we did two weeks ago.

I can’t see Gus being the sub - it’d mean he wouldn’t have played a full game in nearly a month.

And if Sheather has bone bruising, I’m a bit surprised he’s even listed as an emergency.

It’d be crazy to pick McAndrew as the sub.

Which kinda leaves Dylan as the logical choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back