Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

I've made peace with the fact that Hayward is likely gone.

Whether Corey or anyone else currently on the list can adequately replace him ..... I'm not so sure.
I reckon JJ. We have surplus mids trying to find a gome. He is tall. Can clamp like Clamps. He contibutes to scoring chains, can kick a goal himself. tackles. Just what we need.

I've made peace with the fact that Hayward is likely gone.

Whether Corey or anyone else currently on the list can adequately replace him ..... I'm not so sure.
Corey's nowhere near it. He's at least 2 years away from seniors. And even then I don't have a great deal of faith. We'd be shuffling the decks to cover Hayward.

I've always been a big fan of Haywards. Last year was his poorest year in terms of delivering on expectation, but in saying that, I think he was impacted by the instability of the team during the year, e.g. injuries to key position players, the midfield not performing well etc.

In 2022 he really matured as a player, was pretty much kicking at least 1 goal every game and was very consistent. His perceived lack of form in 2023 resulted more from the team's inconsistency rather than poor form on his part.

He responded well when he was dropped from the side (I think in 2021), came back, and became a valuable contributor. That to me showed maturity.

He also kicked a goal against the tide in the 2022 GF, so despite getting the yips every now and again, I still have faith in his ability to hit the scoreboard consistently.

He also does a lot of important work between the arcs as others have mentioned.

I think he'll get back on track in 2024. He's really matured as a player and I think he'll take a bit of a leap this year, perform consistently and have a couple of big games during the season. Will be one of the key beneficiaries of stronger midfield performances this year (provided the midfield deliver as expected).

I'm looking forward to what's to come from Hayward.
JackHiscoxWasFast - I've been on board as well ;)

Could Wicks maybe learn the role, free up Konstanty to debut if good enough 🤷‍♂️
Konstanty is a first round draft pick who is no guarantee to be extended beyond this year. I’d love to see more in the VFL from him.

No way anybody would be throwing 800k at Wicks - because he’s not anywhere near Hayward’s quality.

Of the younger players - Corey has perhaps some similar attributes (speed most notably). Mitchell doesn’t really fit the HF slot, nor does Gus. Nobody else has shown enough to debut.

Not sure Jordon is the answer either.

But we’ll find a way. We always do when a good player departs.

If the caps going up maybe it's doable, especially if Parker goes elsewhere for a farewell . But it's not an easy decision to pay him a bag in theory.

Money aside we need him to stay can't be losing best 22.

Hopefully he meets us somewhere in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon JJ. We have surplus mids trying to find a gome. He is tall. Can clamp like Clamps. He contibutes to scoring chains, can kick a goal himself. tackles. Just what we need.
I think JJ stays in his current role. Not sure who we get in to replace or bump up from the VFL, but I really like what JJ's current role provides for us.

If the caps going up maybe it's doable, especially if Parker goes elsewhere for a farewell . But it's not an easy decision to pay him a bag in theory.

Money aside we need him to stay can't be losing best 22.

Its to much regardless of the incremental increase its how we get in trouble again.

Good point about Parker your spot on there he would be on ~750k easily

Its to much regardless of the incremental increase its how we get in trouble again.

Good point about Parker your spot on there he would be on ~750k easily

I have not context to say it's too much though, what's everyone else on?

I have not context to say it's too much though, what's everyone else on?

The last 2 weeks have skewed the perception of his value a little i would wager thats his manager leaking those figures so im going with they are correct.

I think we will bump it up 600-650k the rest is up to him on how much he values playing finals/friendships etc only Hayward knows that.

The last 2 weeks have skewed the perception of his value a little i would wager thats his manager leaking those figures so im going with they are correct.

I think we will bump it up 600-650k the rest is up to him on how much he values playing finals/friendships etc only Hayward knows that.

Yeah but what are say Jordon Lloyd Adams etc paid

Goodbye lol

850k x 6 is otherworldly regardless the cap increase.

I can see us bumping it to 600k max which i think is a fair reflection of his average performances ignoring the past 2 weeks.

Even better if he stays!
Three of his goals were directly handballs from players that each could have easily taken the shot at goal themselves. The other was from a metre out around the post. I don’t wish to sell him short but if Will is being offered such money then he is worth 700 k at our club. Of course living in Sydney eats into that a little more but I can see why we may need to let him go.
A big game against Carlton this week & I’ll have a rethink.
After the GF against the Cats, I walked away thinking that EVERY player was tradable other than Warner, Fox & Florent I was That pissed off.
So I’m thinking he can be replaced for less. We can’t lose with all the pressure on Will, Carlton or Crows to deliver.
We get a pretty good pick & may have someone up our sleeve who is coming to our club.

Thats the thing we dont know we can only guess.

But like you said losing best 22 players in your window is no good at all.

We can only guess but you know what's too much :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back