Roast A bit of perspective

Remove this Banner Ad

He was wrong in that and you are wrong, we need truth, not balance. Balance just give bullshit merchants more air than they deserve.

I am talking generally here, not specific to the captain thing.

Truth? Being critical of certain decisions is fine but they're still just opinions.

Where I draw the line at criticism becoming unproductive is when people say things like "Ken Hinkley is trying to destroy the club" or "we are the Crows now"

These kinds of comments are pure hyperbole and it really makes it tough to read this board sometimes. I don't like when emotions cloud people's judgment and we need objective opinions on either side of the argument, not hysteria.

Theres nothing wrong with being against the current regime but when you define any critical comment as being "truth" you've gone too far.

You're right that we don't need balance ie. more people being blindly positive about those in charge but we do need more productive comments and less ignorance and blind anger.

Truth? Being critical of certain decisions is fine but they're still just opinions.

Where I draw the line at criticism becoming unproductive is when people say things like "Ken Hinkley is trying to destroy the club" or "we are the Crows now"

These kinds of comments are pure hyperbole and it really makes it tough to read this board sometimes. I don't like when emotions cloud people's judgment and we need objective opinions on either side of the argument, not hysteria.

Theres nothing wrong with being against the current regime but when you define any critical comment as being "truth" you've gone too far.

You're right that we don't need balance ie. more people being blindly positive about those in charge but we do need more productive comments and less ignorance and blind anger.

I agree truth is a bad word to use but I think he’s using it more along the lines of what you’re suggesting i.e. considered rational/logical argument.

All i will say is there is far too much positivity shaming that goes on. Looking glass half full doesnt mean anyone is happy with our situation. Noone is. But people shouldnt be made to feel bad, or heavily criticised if they want to find a positive or find a solution to our situation.

To quote some w***er....we need balance!
I love you macca

Being critical of the club is great, but the personal potshots by select individual(s) at Macca are s**t form.

Posting information from inside is a dangerous game as people shoot the messenger or get angry about leaks and whatever else. Macca has a few ties inside and he's relatively positive about some things happening at the club and that's fair. We've bought in some great talent and great characters for our coaching ranks.

Let's face it, the co-captains thing is a very very sore point for many and people are lashing out simply because Macca said it could be the right call based on the information the club has. Nothing wrong with that at all, he can say that and has a right not to be attacked personally for it.

Everyone should remember that things blow over, but things you say to someone such as Macca are out there forever. I'd hate to see the board dynamic change permanently because of these sorts of things. The club (and us) all have our ups and downs and the solution is to get out there and ******* win some s**t.

Advice to everyone, don't say things you will regret even if you are absolutely burning inside about the co-captaincy issue (or the club as a whole). Atleast argue the point at hand, and not simply take potshots from the cheap seats. Remember we all share this place, and it can get pretty cramped very quickly if the angry masses have chosen a target.

That is unless the poster is clearly a ******* cretin. Of which, not many are. Definitely not ******* Macca.

He was wrong in that and you are wrong, we need truth, not balance. Balance just give bullshit merchants more air than they deserve.

Whilst I half agree, I still believe in what I wrote. Particularly on here, negativity breeds more negativity. You can be truthful whilst also being balanced. Reading "Ken is a *head...KT is a *head.....everyones a *head" 3,257 times doesn't really get us anywhere and in the end it just drives some people away from posting here, which we shouldn't want.

Everyone has the right to their opinion and their ability to voice that opinion, that's why we let discussions go and rarely delete posts. But people need to know when to pull back and think when enough is enough.

Whilst I half agree, I still believe in what I wrote. Particularly on here, negativity breeds more negativity. You can be truthful whilst also being balanced. Reading "Ken is a ****head...KT is a ****head.....everyones a ****head" 3,257 times doesn't really get us anywhere and in the end it just drives some people away from posting here, which we shouldn't want.

Everyone has the right to their opinion and their ability to voice that opinion, that's why we let discussions go and rarely delete posts. But people need to know when to pull back and think when enough is enough.

You're a *head

Being asked to provide evidence as to why things are either positive or negative is not shaming.

Calling people out for being unable to provide evidence is NOT shaming.

Crying that people are shaming you because you don't have evidence is shameful.

Just to specify, i'm not even really talking about the captaincy thread. It's the general tone of this forum which has been very negative leaning for a good 2 years now. The majority is justified, no question, but I think sometimes the tone of the forum (not naming names, just the general overarching tone of the forum) is hoping we lose or hoping we fail as opposed to hoping we win or hoping we succeed.

As I said negativity breeds negativity and it can he a hard thing to break that cycle sometimes.

I'll also say, I don't mind if people want to have pot shots at me. I'd rather people have a go at me as a mod than have a go at each other, and lose posters because of it.

I tell you what will make me unabashedly positive, and that's if we could magically dick the Bombers at the dome this year.

Regardless of our fortunes up to that point, it would at least prove that we are a vastly different side.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I half agree, I still believe in what I wrote. Particularly on here, negativity breeds more negativity. You can be truthful whilst also being balanced. Reading "Ken is a ****head...KT is a ****head.....everyones a ****head" 3,257 times doesn't really get us anywhere and in the end it just drives some people away from posting here, which we shouldn't want.

Yeah, agree that's daft stuff.

I'll also say, I don't mind if people want to have pot shots at me. I'd rather people have a go at me as a mod than have a go at each other, and lose posters because of it.
You cook my food. I wouldn't dare.

The truth is just a lie with a better marketing budget.

Hartlett returning from ACL.
3 x first round draft picks that look like getting games.
Marshall ready to put a horror 2018 behind him.
Ryder fit again.
Rockliff fitter than last year.
Willem Drew fit and looking to take the next step.
SPP fit and focused.
Boak without the burden of captaincy looks fit and ready to go.
Burton and Lycett.
New assistant coaches.

I think there is a lot of things to be positive about. I haven't written this season off before it has begun.

I don't mind if people want to be positive. What rubs me the wrong way is the 'and now <insert s**t decision #7431 since 2004> has been made, let's not talk about it anymore'. If Port fans didn't keep arcing up about s**t decisions we'd still be PAFC and PAMFC and playing at Football Park (probably as Southern Power) or out of the league full stop. The rage must be maintained to not let Koch and co. start spinning their latest rounds of incompetence are supported or even just accepted by the fans.

That’s fine in theory but the issue is that with so much misery and negativity on this board the tendency is that EVERY decision is a s**t one unless there is a huge amount of evidence to the contrary.

Hartlett returning from ACL.
3 x first round draft picks that look like getting games.
Marshall ready to put a horror 2018 behind him.
Ryder fit again.
Rockliff fitter than last year.
Willem Drew fit and looking to take the next step.
SPP fit and focused.
Boak without the burden of captaincy looks fit and ready to go.
Burton and Lycett.
New assistant coaches.

I think there is a lot of things to be positive about. I haven't written this season off before it has begun.
Broadbent too

Fair enough but come gameday all bets are off. I've been known, in fits of blind rage, to forget my manners and get stuck into
anybody and anything. The split second it seems to take launching from sofa to keyboard with steam coming out of my ears
is beyond my control.

This ^ has happened at AO where I've been given a warning or two over the years.
Has it bothered me? well not really, only now i've learnt to swear under my breath thru' clenched teeth.
What does bother me is when we've basically been a black joke to watch reducing me to not caring and even laughing at my team.
That's when I feel the most disengaged.

The game style played on Saturday and our new players have got me upbeat again.
It's like i'm married to Port and at times my wife really pushes my buttons.

Fair enough but come gameday all bets are off. I've been known, in fits of blind rage, to forget my manners and get stuck into
anybody and anything. The split second it seems to take launching from sofa to keyboard with steam coming out of my ears
is beyond my control.

This ^ has happened at AO where I've been given a warning or two over the years.
Has it bothered me? well not really, only now i've learnt to swear under my breath thru' clenched teeth.
What does bother me is when we've basically been a black joke to watch reducing me to not caring and even laughing at my team.
That's when I feel the most disengaged.

The game style played on Saturday and our new players have got me upbeat again.
It's like i'm married to Port and at times my wife really pushes my buttons.
I think we all accept that Gameday threads are a law unto themselves. I doubt whether anyone with access to a keyboard during games hasn't let fly in one of those. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back