A Club Charter to Define and Protect That Which We Value

Remove this Banner Ad

> specifically say that the club is committed to obtaining 6 home games in Melbourne during the home and away season (note, I don't expect them to guarantee getting this, but would like it mentioned that it will be pushed for on behalf of the club's members, each and every year - I don't care if it goes without saying - say it again);

This is the big one for me - a commitment to demanding 6 games annually in Melbourne. While we're on that, how about committing to consulting with members prior to selling home games?

> our playing strip will contain maroon (or alternatively "fitzroy red"), blue and gold (save for designated clash games);

Wouldn't hurt.

> we will give all members due notice before any change to the playing strip or decision that impacts upon any other of the club's official documents (including the member's charter and the merger agreement).

I think "any change to the playing strip" is too restrictive. New sponsor logo? Hrmm, we have to run that by the members first. "Significant change" may be too broad - can you think of a middle-ground?

I've considered how best to give the charter some oomph and protection. The best I've come up with is a constitutional amendment outlining the club's commitment to it and the process for altering it.

Agreed. Also (ahem) since it was scrapped during the recent legal dealings volunteer a phase such as "the Fitzroy lion shall remain the logo of the club in perpetuity"?

That's a can of worms I don't want to open.

Matchday – “enjoyment and health and safety of supporters our utmost priority” – is there any support for disabled members, supporters and carers?

Customer Service – a public policy available re the management, privacy and security of personal information?

Community Activity – commitment to a preferred charity and working with other registered charities?

Commitment to Club History –granted there is a ‘maintain and protect its history’ – ‘now and into the future’ but is it just me… wanting to read the word “Tradition” and a commitment to preserve this?

Just a few of my thoughts on reading...

Just a reminder - the deadline for responses to the club's draft charter is 20 July (so less than a week to go).

This is a real opportunity IMHO - the club is asking for feedback from members on a club document that enshrines the club's commitment to members and vice versa. This board is full of suggestions on these topics - lets get them accross.

Also, if we can make the club's request for input a positive and constructive experience, who knows what else might get put up for member's feedback or feedback from members and supporters alike.

I've only just remembered to send my feedback in, so thought I'd post a reminder.

So I have just provided my feedback on the Members Charter.

I hope other passionate members take a bit of time to do the same. You can find the draft Charter here http://cms.lions.com.au/Portals/0/Draft_Members_and_Supporters_Charter.pdf

The Club has asked that Members provide feedback via email to club@lions.com.au by no later than this Wednesday.

To summarise my feedback:
- I congratulated the Club on taking up this initiative and on the way they have tried to re-engage with members since the end of 2010;
- I said I understood they probably didn't want to be too specific in the Charter because they wouldn't want to unnecessarily reduce the Club's ability to be flexible and act on day-today concerns;
- However, I said that on rare occasions it is extremely important for the Club to fully consult its members before acting. Therefore I believe the Club should commit to fully consulting its members (by an electronic survey - such as they already do at the end of each season anyway) before any future major changes to the core characteristics that really define our Club (e.g. our colours, our name, our jumpers, our primary location, etc.)

I also said, from a Victorian members point of view, it would be important for the Club to commit to strongly lobbying the AFL for 6 games in Melbourne each year, as per the Merger Agreement - particularly given the ongoing changes to the nature of the AFL competition.

Club's response on the website to the feedback from Members.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/119105/default.aspx

The Brisbane Lions AFC would like to sincerely thank all members who took time to provide valuable feedback on the Club’s proposed Members Charter before yesterday's deadline.

One thing that is a little disappointing is that I, and a lot of others I suspect, have never received any email confirmation that the Lions have even received my feedback.

I gather that is pretty standard these days, despite the draft Members Charter specifically saying the Club will respond to all emails (even an automatically generated receipt would be better than nothing).

Was that reference to focus groups in the draft?

Draft version:

The Brisbane Lions will consult members on a regular basis through focus groups and surveys on significant issues affecting the club and/or members. These issues may include but are not limited to, significant change to the Club song and Guernsey

Final version:

The Brisbane Lions will consult members on a regular basis through focus groups and surveys on significant issues affecting the club and/or members. These issues may include, but are not limited to, significant changes to the Club song and guernsey and will be determined by the Board of the Brisbane Lions.

Was that reference to focus groups in the draft?

Yes it was there, but I think they have expanded that paragraph a little to give some concessions to those of us that complained about it referring to focus groups. EDIT - Bob has the change above which actually seems pretty minor.

It looks like they also expanded the paragraph at the end on protecting the Club's history.

From a quick review there have been no substantive changes between the draft and final versions. Read into that what you will.

The change LoTR referred to is as follows:

Draft:

The Brisbane Lions has a long and proud history as a football club (both from its
Fitzroy and Bears origins), being an original competitor in the VFL since 1897. The
Club has and will continue to proudly maintain and protect its history and
memorabilia for the benefit of all club supporters – both now and into the future

Final:

The Brisbane Lions has a long and proud history as a football club (both from its
Fitzroy and Bears origins), and takes great pride in being an original competitor in the
VFL/AFL since 1897. The Club has and will continue to proudly maintain and protect
its history and memorabilia for the benefit of all club supporters – both now and into
the future.

As the email and web links suggest…

“The process was complicated somewhat considering our members often have conflicting ideas with each other, so we obviously couldn’t please everyone.”

Well done bob on highlighting a need for direction/change and well done to the club on acknowledging a need for commitment to communication. Some might see it only as small step but as a member, I feel more comfortable in the thought that we are again heading in the right direction. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To add to your :thumbsu: :

Angus Johnson :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Everyone who helped out :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

The Charter merely reflects the framework the Club had already begun to put into place under Angus' stewardship. While that direction has now been codified, the Charter is meaningless without continued buy-in from all parties. It is now up to members and Club staff to ensure the Charter doesn't just become another piece of paper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back