A free agency offer has finally been matched. Does this change everything?

Remove this Banner Ad

In all fairness, West Coast do bankroll junior development in WA.

I think its more that West Coast and Fremantle are both aware that it is in neither clubs best interest to allow themselves to be used to drive up the price of players they have no particular need for.

AFL puts in more than you do.

Also, the purpose of the draft was meant to get away from that sort of stuff. (clubs 'owning' regions)

Last edited:
Not really because the AFL will keep offering compensation picks more than what they would receive in a trade. If Geelong only had the one first rounder instead of three, I’m not sure GWS would match the bid.

Would like this to be the new normal but can’t see it happening.

The influence on compensation on the likelihood of clubs match RFA bids is probably a factor worthy of consideration, especially for those who say there should be no compo.

One other factor is that if matching becomes more common, RFA contract offers might start 'only' being for 2 years (i.e. which is when UFA kicks in if they get forced to stay)

It is in the best interest for GWS to match the offer. Unlike for the example of Lynch or Daniher the compensation those clubs receive is better than what the destination club could offer in a trade.

GWS can see Geelong has 3 mid first rnd picks which they can trade with.

In the end I think a trade will happen and it will be for two of those first round picks.

GWS holds the cards here.
- if a trade happens then it will certainly be better than the compo they would have recieved
- if a trade doesn't happen and Cameron choses to stay. Great, GWS retains one of the best forwards in the comp.
- if Cameron decides to enter the draft no-one wins. I doubt Cameron would last to Geelongs pick in the draft. GWS themselves could pick up Cameron (But he's unlikely to be there by then anyway).

Could get interesting. If I was the Cats, I would have factored free as a free agent into the contract offer. Now that he costs a lot in trade, he's less valuable, thus I'd offer him a lower contract than the one that GWS have agreed to pay.
I think Geelong has the power to do that, but would Cameron still want to go to Geelong if they reduce his offer.

In this case I don't think there was an intention to make the offer out of reach of GWS salary cap which is sometime a tactic used.

The danger for Geelong is that Cameron may start looking at other clubs with a better offer or decide to stay with the offer GWS agreed to.

The only way that this changes anything is if Geelong walk away, otherwise it is just a trade. The main benefit of RFA is to get a player for nothing except for a decent salary. If you are already paying overs salary cap wise it's not worth trading decent assets to get the player, unless it is a player/players that you need to get rid of to get under the salary cap.

Maybe, but we couldn't pry Goldstein away from North last year and, a couple of good showings by Stanley aside, you'd have thought he could have come in handy last week.
great point...the way i see it Cameron is an outstanding get given he will be not be fixing the problem where Geelong need improvement to go that
one step further,and that problem is Backline speed,class and ruck.
With a tall in Taylor gone and players like Henderson,Henry,O'Connor and Kolidashnij yur still predictable and need pace plus smarts,Simpson
could be one option,will Guthrie go to HB ? Still doesnt solve the issue of the Tall tho & Henderson a yr older and slower too. :huh:
Dangerfield will spend more time FWD as his disposal around the ground is becoming more and more of a liability as time goes by,this isnt issue #2
tho,its the followers Stanley n Blicavs,they are not even close to elite level,not by a long long way,they will not take Geelong to a flag &
Geelong know this,so,theyre stacking the midfield in the hope of lifting the cup next year becos by September 2022 Selwood,Higgins
,Smith n Duncan to a lesser extent will be well past it,so its 2021 or bust as far as Scott is concerned.
Yes the fwd line looks very dangerous,but backline needs tweaking,no real class down there now Taylors gone and rucks need overhaul with
the midfield its the last chance dance,it will be interesting to see how it pans out

This is not an accusation...I would simply like an explanation of a quote I have picked up from someone in another site.

"Cap is said to be decreasing this year yet the cats are fitting a million dollar contract in plus roughly $500k for Smith and Higgins probably likewise, Danger on close to a mill, Selwood you would hope (for his sake) would be around the $800k mark there is close to what lets say $3.7 mill of a cap reducing below $10 mill
Means on average 35 players are on $180k hmm

And I didn't squeeze in Hawkins on lets be generous to the cats and say he is on $600k

that brings 34 players are taking on average $167k hmm

Yep got me beat can't understand why people are asking"

Do the numbers stand up to reality?
Backload, frontload... all that stuff. It’s not hard if the players are ok with it. For all we know dangermouse and Selwood have been paid a large amount of their contracts already. Gone are the days you can * around on this stuff. Nobody with half a brain expects they’ll get away with it, and they’ve seen the damage it does (when, not if) they get sprung

I think Geelong has the power to do that, but would Cameron still want to go to Geelong if they reduce his offer.

In this case I don't think there was an intention to make the offer out of reach of GWS salary cap which is sometime a tactic used.

The danger for Geelong is that Cameron may start looking at other clubs with a better offer or decide to stay with the offer GWS agreed to.

Yeah, he may have to accept less money than he could have received elsewhere to be able to get to Geelong. He may
end up staying at GWS for less money than he could have got elsewhere. You can't always have everything. It's a pity he
may leave GWS. It seems like he will ultimately. Geelong would live without him. He is more of a marquee player for GWS
and the AFL in Sydney generally than he'll ever be in Geelong. God knows the code needs a few of these guys up here.
You'd barely know the AFL season was even being played this year.

Last edited:
Duncan wouldnt be playing for less than 550k
He’s playing for very close that, about 580k on average, that’s why he’s already signed on until 2024.....As I have mentioned before, the club has made the decision to sign longer term deals for less of a wage.....You will also find Hawkins new deal of 2 years is substantially less in money terms than his previous one.

What's Ben Brown going for in a trade? Roughly kicked the same amount or more goals over the last 4 years. Would be a similar age too. Both even have that same pasty, won't tan complexion.

Geelong hold all the cards here, they can just walk away? Why sell the farm? GWS can still get something and it will be very good, but talk of 3 picks and a player is absurd even for the mad world of 2020. If Wells wants too he can just politely refuse and say "thanks, but no thanks"! GWS will have to pay the player the matching offer or he goes in the draft? I'm not fussed either way, if the deal falls through, so what! Play the youngsters in 2021, it won't be a normal year again anyway!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s playing for very close that, about 580k on average, that’s why he’s already signed on until 2024.....As I have mentioned before, the club has made the decision to sign longer term deals for less of a wage.....You will also find Hawkins new deal of 2 years is substantially less in money terms than his previous one.

That's criminal if true given Carlton are bringing in a HBF for $900k pa. Duncan is a proven gun. The other is...

Backload, frontload... all that stuff. It’s not hard if the players are ok with it. For all we know dangermouse and Selwood have been paid a large amount of their contracts already. Gone are the days you can fu** around on this stuff. Nobody with half a brain expects they’ll get away with it, and they’ve seen the damage it does (when, not if) they get sprung
They got sprung this year already. Nothing happened.

That's criminal if true given Carlton are bringing in a HBF for $900k pa. Duncan is a proven gun. The other is...
It’s true, it is quite a low figure when you look at it, but his length of term ( injury permitting ) takes him well past the 300 game barrier, so he was more than happy with that.

I'm glad GWS and Adelaide are taking a stand. People laughed at Gold Coast last year when they let Jack Martin go for nothing, but I feel that this the risk clubs need to take end this nonsense of players being able to just walk wherever they want so easily. GWS could very well get nothing in return for Cameron, but it will send a message to anyone else thinking they can just walk to any club they want if Cameron doesn't end up Geelong. At the very least, if Cameron ends up getting picked up by a club that isn't Geelong in the draft, that is a win for GWS, cause Cameron doesn't get what he wants, and GWS frees up a lot of cap space.

if Cameron ends up getting picked up by a club that isn't Geelong in the draft, that is a win for GWS, cause Cameron doesn't get what he wants, and GWS frees up a lot of cap space.
I’m sorry but how does that become a win for the Giants?....If they trade with us they still get their cap space & something in return, letting him walk is their worst option, by far!

I’m sorry but how does that become a win for the Giants?....If they trade with us they still get their cap space & something in return, letting him walk is their worst option, by far!
Because Cameron is leaving regardless, and anything that you give in return would not be adequte compensation. Even if they get a top-10 draft pick, there's no guarantee that player will become a good player or stay with them. After so many have already left the club, players who see Cameron ending up somewhere he doesn't want to be will send a message to anyone else thinking they can just walk to wherever they want. If clubs matching bids/letting players go to the draft becomes the norm, eventually, in time, stop this culture of players walking to wherever they want. Cause for some players like Cameron, no amount of compensation is enough. If you look at the Cameron scenario in isolation, then perhaps it may not seem like a win for GWS, but if this prevents players leaving in the future, it's massive.

great point...the way i see it Cameron is an outstanding get given he will be not be fixing the problem where Geelong need improvement to go that
one step further,and that problem is Backline speed,class and ruck.
With a tall in Taylor gone and players like Henderson,Henry,O'Connor and Kolidashnij yur still predictable and need pace plus smarts
Henry, Tuohy and Bews would be among our fastest players. Jordan Clark just won the Grand Final sprint. The ability is there on our list.

will Guthrie go to HB ?
Just won a B&F in the midfield, so I'd doubt it.

Still doesnt solve the issue of the Tall tho & Henderson a yr older and slower too.
Taylor gone and likely replaced in the back six by Smith/Clark. I don't see a Bews, Blicavs, Stewart, Kolo, Henderson, Henry backline as being either too tall, or not quick enough

its the followers Stanley n Blicavs,they are not even close to elite level,not by a long long way,they will not take Geelong to a flag &
Geelong know this,so,theyre stacking the midfield in the hope of lifting the cup next year becos by September 2022 Selwood,Higgins
,Smith n Duncan to a lesser extent will be well past it,so its 2021 or bust as far as Scott is concerned.
Stanley could be upgraded but we're not talking liability level here. He's very good around the ground, pushes forward well and can pop up and kick a goal.

The issue Geelong needed to address in the Grand Final, and a number of other important games, is to lock down better when an opponent is on a run. Easier said than done but Tigers turned the screws at the end of the 2nd while the Cats were sitting on a 21 point lead that should've been at least 1 goal, if not 2 bigger. Much of the first 1/3 of the Grand Final, the Cats were well on top in the midfield, plenty of it from Stanley's work as well, and we defended well through the middle to take virtually all pressure off our backline.

Rose coloured glasses time, I'd argue structurally we're fine just a step off Richmond's level. There's no magic wand to instantly fix that. But if we get Jeremy Cameron in to play in CHF, work out whether Esava Rategolea can play Ruck and keep Blicavs behind the ball all day, we've got a team that can challenge anyone.

For the first time since free agency was implemented in 2012, an offer for a restricted free agent has been matched. GWS have matched Geelong's offer for Jeremy Cameron.

Cameron now has three options:
  • He can accept the matched contract and remain at GWS.
  • He can ask to be traded.
  • He can nominate for the draft.
We all assume Cameron will ask to be traded to Geelong and this will eventually get done but does this now set a new precedent for clubs to force trades instead of just accepting FA compensation from the AFL? For example if this situation had played out in 2013 and Hawthorn elected to match Sydney's offer for Buddy, it would be fair to assume the Hawks would receive more than pick 19 in a trade. The only way around this for the team looking to poach the player for free is to offer an exorbitant contract that would seriously hurt them later down the track ala Buddy's contract with the Swans.

So, does this move change everything when it comes to free agency? GWS could very well run into this exact same situation again next year when Josh Kelly becomes a restricted free agent.
Missed a fourth option.
Cameron could sue the AFL for restraint of trade.

Missed a fourth option.
Cameron could sue the AFL for restraint of trade.
I'm pretty sure he can't sue on those grounds. GWS have no obligation to accept a trade from Geelong or anyone. The fourth option would be he delists himself and doesn't re-nominate for the draft and is therefore out of the AFL.

Because Cameron is leaving regardless, and anything that you give in return would not be adequte compensation. Even if they get a top-10 draft pick, there's no guarantee that player will become a good player or stay with them. After so many have already left the club, players who see Cameron ending up somewhere he doesn't want to be will send a message to anyone else thinking they can just walk to wherever they want. If clubs matching bids/letting players go to the draft becomes the norm, eventually, in time, stop this culture of players walking to wherever they want. Cause for some players like Cameron, no amount of compensation is enough. If you look at the Cameron scenario in isolation, then perhaps it may not seem like a win for GWS, but if this prevents players leaving in the future, it's massive.
I understand the point you’re getting across, but I just think it could be equally as damaging to the guys still their thinking ‘how have we lost Cameron & we have nothing in return’, it certainly wouldn’t make you feel closer to a premiership....But by matching and accepting a trade they can then use them picks as assets for other established players. Possibly someone like a Treloar as they would have the money available..

I understand the point you’re getting across, but I just think it could be equally as damaging to the guys still their thinking ‘how have we lost Cameron & we have nothing in return’, it certainly wouldn’t make you feel closer to a premiership....But by matching and accepting a trade they can then use them picks as assets for other established players. Possibly someone like a Treloar as they would have the money available..
And then have the cycle repeat itself over and over again? GWS has lost huge amounts of players over the years. In fact, Cameron leaving means that all twelve seventeen year old priority selections signed when they started will all be gone. For years, the club has taken the compromise of accepting draft picks (often getting less in return than what they were giving), and as a result they just seem to falling further and further down the ladder. And it's not just them either, just letting the player walk to wherever they want and accepting compensation has done little to help clubs who have been poached. This culture of players thinking they can just easily go wherever they want needs to stop. The AFL has restricted free agency with the option to match for a reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back