A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How much has City’s support base actually grown during the last couple of years? Not being a prick or anything genuine question. Do You think it’s grown significantly enough? has Jamie actually helped if so? Or should and can the club grow bigger considering the clubs on field position?

personally I think City should be doing better support wise. I can’t help wonder through if City was still Heart and on top of the the table they‘ll be attracting a lot more support.

It's slowly but definitley building.
Winning Silverwear and a a good run in the Asian Champions League will help too (as is Victory imploding)

The FFA have f’ed up and taken the ACL spot from the GF winners and are giving it to the team that wins the FFA Cup.

what? source?

it’s just a qualifying spot now anyway, but I would have taken it away from the third place spot rather then the GF winner

Last edited:
It's slowly but definitley building.
Winning Silverwear and a a good run in the Asian Champions League will help too (as is Victory imploding)

Those factors won’t be enough. Silverware sure helps but nobody cares about the ACL and Victory won’t be in implosion mode forever.
Moving the club South East will in the long run plays a more significant role in finding new fans. But imo the clubs big challenge is convincing Melbournians they are ‘Melbourne’ not Manchester City lite. So far I haven’t seen that beening distinguished.

Last edited:
I dpnt mind the idea of a spot for the ffa cup winners. J would have thought it was champion, premiership, and cup would get the spots.

How much has City’s support base actually grown during the last couple of years? Not being a prick or anything genuine question. Do You think it’s grown significantly enough? has Jamie actually helped if so? Or should and can the club grow bigger considering the clubs on field position?

personally I think City should be doing better support wise. I can’t help wonder through if City was still Heart and on top of the the table they‘ll be attracting a lot more support.

The whole league is floundering for attendance at the moment. City has been fairly stable in it's regressions aren't as dramatic as the other clubs from their high points.

Since Covid everything is down 30%-50% so it's tricky to gauge right now. (50k at Melbourne / WB Vs Richmond - bumper games which should draw 70k-80k). Midweek scheduling, fixtures dropping late, it's a real challenge.

City do need to own the South East with their move, being the alternative Melbourne team isn't enough.

Western Everywhere have a home (in 2045), so their growth will be tied to their region.

The whole league is floundering for attendance at the moment. City has been fairly stable in it's regressions aren't as dramatic as the other clubs from their high points.

Since Covid everything is down 30%-50% so it's tricky to gauge right now. (50k at Melbourne / WB Vs Richmond - bumper games which should draw 70k-80k). Midweek scheduling, fixtures dropping late, it's a real challenge.

City do need to own the South East with their move, being the alternative Melbourne team isn't enough.

Western Everywhere have a home (in 2045), so their growth will be tied to their region.
I would have thought overall attendance in the aleague has been quite stable. Obviously ccm has grown due to them playing well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I missed this a few weeks ago, but the A League players won't miss the finals to go to the Olympics squad camp

I missed this a few weeks ago, but the A League players won't miss the finals to go to the Olympics squad camp

They can still miss if they get choosen for the soceroos squad

PFA wary of domestic transfer system

Players' union Professional Footballers Australia remain wary of the ramifications that the introduction of a domestic transfer system (DTS) would hold for Australian football.

A former head of professional football at FIFA, Football Australia CEO James Johnson has made the introduction of a DTS one of the key goals of the federation ever since his appointment in late 2019; its establishment the third of the XI Principles for the future of Australian football strategy document released in 2020.

But with a DTS potentially one of the most seismic reforms the Australian game will have seen in decades, the PFA has already signalled its objection to its introduction and the maintenance of the salary cap; co-chief executive Beau Busch bluntly telling ESPN in December that "a salary cap and transfer system are incompatible."

In a subsequent interview with Lucy Zelic, Busch and co-chief executive Kate Gill signalled their view that the former's introduction "must be [collectively] bargained, and [players] will not allow it to be imposed on them."

Australian clubs already able to sell players on the international market, the union remains unconvinced of the evidence that a domestic equivalent will actually grow the size of the Australian football economy or spur its youth development -- the latter the subject of numerous research papers by the organisation.

Busch told ESPN the union was concerned its introduction would simply serve as an added tax on the employment of players -- whose wages are already artificially limited -- at the same time clubs have sought to reduce the salary cap due to the economic effects of the coronavirus pandemic.

"To further develop our game here in Australia, there needs to be a focus on building real value," he said. "It remains unclear what role, if any, re-introducing a local tax on the employment of players via a DTS has to play in these efforts.

"Additionally, there is little evidence to suggest that a DTS -- in Australia or globally -- is a fundamental component of player development or linked to building value on the international market, which is already open to all of our clubs.

"The operation of a DTS during the NSL did not ensure a thriving domestic football economy and, conversely, resulted in a raft of governance failings that severely damaged the reputation of the game.

"In considering its re-introduction the players would need to be satisfied that the problems of the past would not return and that the business case was clear, well researched and undeniable.

"For example, if we were to double or even triple the training compensation by A-League clubs to NPL clubs, the impact would be minimal on the game's economy but could result in many players being unable to make the leap from the NPL to the A-League."

Not sure that a domestic transfers really help in a 12 team competition (except for Melbourne City) - but they should increase the Training compensation to grassroots clubs. It's between $5k -$10k when a player signs their first professional contract.

Not sure that a domestic transfers really help in a 12 team competition (except for Melbourne City) - but they should increase the Training compensation to grassroots clubs. It's between $5k -$10k when a player signs their first professional contract.
It would assist in getting players who want to leave the club, but are under contract, for better opportunities at another club. Whether that be those playing at one of the 11 clubs or from the npl up. A combination of transfer and better compensation would create a good plan.

Also you would be surprised how much each owner has and the money they plough into there club. Obviously cfc are megas, but it depends on how much cfc are willing to put in.

The FFA have f’ed up and taken the ACL spot from the GF winners and are giving it to the team that wins the FFA Cup.

Can't help but think that this is a big up yours by the FFA to the APL, you wanted to break away FINE we'll take a spot from your comp and giving it to our comp to give it some relevance.

wont go down well through imo Once a team wins the Grand Final outside the top two again the uproar will be telling and they will change it back.

Last edited:
They are shooting themselves in the foot by making the uniquely Aussie Finals series irrelevant now.
It will kill the crowds and their revenue, may as well make the toilet seat into a manhole cover.

They are shooting themselves in the foot by making the uniquely Aussie Finals series irrelevant now.
It will kill the crowds and their revenue, may as well make the toilet seat into a manhole cover.

Depends how you look at it, for the diehard A-League/soccer fans yes! Most of these types don’t want finals period! cause you know.. soccer should only be European style. To the mainstream and casual observer meh.. doubt they give a s**t about the ACL.. (unless and Aussie team happens to win it)

I don’t think it will diminish the Finals or The Grand Finals prestige in Australian football at all tbh or even make the FFA Cup any more relevant. It’s all stupid s**t that goes on in the back rooms of Australian soccer at play again and of course AFC bureaucracy with its stupid rules and regulations that won’t allow us to enter teams from both the FFA Cup and the the GF winner because the AFC consider the finals series as a seperate knockout competition and doesn’t allow winners of no more than two competitions from any nation to enter the ACL.

Interesting that the men won't be based at the same place as the npl or women's sides, I guess it's space related (and/or previous commitments).

Also where is Sydney's hq going to be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back