A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

332557791_3321096671487147_795559062908921511_n.jpg

Some big A-League news is dropping tomorrow. It is probably just GF date/time or announcing an All-Stars game against PSG but there are some rumours it has to do with expansion.
Early rumours are Auckland, and Canberra, but this would not be Canberra United...

Here's a trademark that was lodged back in 2021, just FYI 🤔
Screenshot_20230315_002939_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20230315_002953_Samsung Internet.jpg

Early rumours are Auckland, and Canberra, but this would not be Canberra United...

View attachment 1629416View attachment 1629417

I don't know that the logo means much. If there's one thing that (Capital football boss) Ivan Slavic is good at, it's marketing, and getting Canberrans excited.

Going back to (I think) 2012 when I lived in Canberra, Slavic headed up the ACT's energy monopoly in Actew AGL, and as the leader of an independent Canberra-based bid even went as far as taking refundable $200 "foundation memberships" to try and get the bid up. (From memory a few more than 200 people invested money into nothing.)

I'd love to see a Canberra team, I think it'd be really successful. I grew up in Tassie and love the joint. I lived in Canberra for 8 years and hated it.

But I've said for 15 years that if I won $100m in Powerball and wanted to start up an A-League team, I'd do it in Canberra - it has a big population of international students, the ACT government supports teams directly and indirectly (through stadium maintenance), you've already got a perfect-sized rectangle stadium in place.

They should've done Canberra before they did GCU and NQ, but that expansion had nothing to do with which locations had the best chance of success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know that the logo means much. If there's one thing that (Capital football boss) Ivan Slavic is good at, it's marketing, and getting Canberrans excited.

Going back to (I think) 2012 when I lived in Canberra, Slavic headed up the ACT's energy monopoly in Actew AGL, and as the leader of an independent Canberra-based bid even went as far as taking refundable $200 "foundation memberships" to try and get the bid up. (From memory a few more than 200 people invested money into nothing.)

I'd love to see a Canberra team, I think it'd be really successful. I grew up in Tassie and love the joint. I lived in Canberra for 8 years and hated it.

But I've said for 15 years that if I won $100m in Powerball and wanted to start up an A-League team, I'd do it in Canberra - it has a big population of international students, the ACT government supports teams directly and indirectly (through stadium maintenance), you've already got a perfect-sized rectangle stadium in place.

They should've done Canberra before they did GCU and NQ, but that expansion had nothing to do with which locations had the best chance of success.
They should have done Canberra before literally ALL expansion teams. Wellington included.

View attachment 1629416View attachment 1629417
That looks very similar to the old NSL Canberra Cosmos logo. I lived in Canberra throughout the Cosmos' brief existence and went to most of their home games at Bruce Stadium. Enjoyed supporting them as my second team (I was a South Melbourne fan) even if they were usually hopeless, but crowds were always pretty low.

Is the GF specifically at the SFS? Or is it just "Sydney" at this stage?

Curious whether the Wanderers would host if they earn it (or even if they don't earn it and they get rewarded with a home game anyway.)

Is the GF specifically at the SFS? Or is it just "Sydney" at this stage?

Curious whether the Wanderers would host if they earn it (or even if they don't earn it and they get rewarded with a home game anyway.)
"Sydney".
Wouldn't be suprised if wanderers play, it would be at sfs. Think of it were a derby they would move it to anz.

Melbourne vs Adelaide final and a crowd of 5k to embarrass football on the national scale like every single person said.

The reason I ask is cos after last night I think WSW might rescue them from their decision this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back