A question for Tim56 and other Howard Lovers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by otaku
so you are now saying morality IS based on opinion??

lack of consistency here...
No,what i'm saying is that Absolute Morality would deny the facts i mentioned,because absolute morality claims that Morality is the same in all socities at all times when Plainly in accordance with relative morality it's not

Jeka.
WTF is a "post-modernist world"?.We still live in "modern "times.

Post-modernism is a philosophical term.

Below taken from Introducing Postmodernism.
Postmodernism claims that "modernity", which grew from the enlightenment, the Industrial revolution and Marxism has collapsed. We now live in an endlessly "contempory" culture full of contested meanings, parody, pastiche and cultural cross-over.

Basically as I understand things from a philosophical stand point its the rejection of the notion of a grand narrative and the intoduction of relativity. In a sense is doesn't define any particular way of think but is an umbrella term for many different views.

As whether morality was relative or not it seemed pertinent to include it.

Mordernism was the term used to describe the current political/artisitc/philosophical movements essentially in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Since the early 20th century the introduction of relativity has led to it being termed post-modern.

So thats what I mean when I refer to a post-modern era.

Clear as mud?:)

Originally posted by Bombers 2003
No,what i'm saying is that Absolute Morality would deny the facts i mentioned,because absolute morality claims that Morality is the same in all socities at all times when Plainly in accordance with relative morality it's not

like i said, you are now saying morality is based on opinion. This was the very same thing that was said earlier in this thread, and you replied with

U are a halfwit if u think[?] Morality is hard to judge as it's based on "opinion".

Now, take a deep breath, and have another go.

Originally posted by jeka
Post-modernism is a philosophical term.

Basically as I understand things from a philosophical stand point its the rejection of the notion of a grand narrative and the intoduction of relativity. In a sense is doesn't define any particular way of think but is an umbrella term for many different views.

As whether morality was relative or not it seemed pertinent to include it.

Mordernism was the term used to describe the current political/artisitc/philosophical movements essentially in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Since the early 20th century the introduction of relativity has led to it being termed post-modern.

So thats what I mean when I refer to a post-modern era.

Clear as mud?:)
And a W/nker term,i had the idea that's what the word meant.But then Sociologists would rather say "Postmodern" then contemporary.

like i said, you are now saying morality is based on opinion. This was the very same thing that was said earlier in this thread, and you replied with

Now, take a deep breath, and have another go.
Actually i'm saying it's based on perceived Facts.

We have a legal system that, like it or not, is largely based on a moral code.

No matter how much you want to argue about the relativity of morality you sometimes have to come down to deciding whether you are happy to live in a society with rules or not.

If you are then you would expect that people who set rules such as ministerial codes of conduct would actually apply them.

Originally posted by bunsen burner
I question anyone's intelligence who stick to one particular party like it's a football team. Liberal and Labor aren't much different these days. The actual person in power is much more important than what party they represent.

Could you vote Liberal when Labor has a candidate of the calibre of Kate Lundy??? Not many can say that are seriously lusting after their local member, but Kate Lundy is seriously fine, and looking sexier everytime I see her. The Liberals could bring in Elle McPherson I still wouldn't vote against Kate.

ok, so:

i come from a culture that has ritual cannibalism as a part of its morla code.

you come from a society that doesnt.

Which moral code is correct according to your "perceived Facts"?
Both moral codes are based on cultural attitudes as well as the facts of the culture.They are both right for their cultures.

Originally posted by DEVO
Could you vote Liberal when Labor has a candidate of the calibre of Kate Lundy??? Not many can say that are seriously lusting after their local member, but Kate Lundy is seriously fine, and looking sexier everytime I see her. The Liberals could bring in Elle McPherson I still wouldn't vote against Kate.
I dont think Elle McPherson would have anything to do with the libs.

and it has to be said there aren't many parliamentarians that anyone would lust after. Tanya Plibersek is doing great work as well.

Originally posted by The invisible mullet
and it has to be said there aren't many parliamentarians that anyone would lust after. Tanya Plibersek is doing great work as well.
And Sophie P isnt bad either.Pity she's a Lib.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Bombers 2003
Both moral codes are based on cultural attitudes as well as the facts of the culture.They are both right for their cultures.

so, they are actually based on opinions, right?

There can be no abosolute morality if each culture can have different ideas on what is "moral".

so, they are actually based on opinions, right?

There can be no abosolute morality if each culture can have different ideas on what is "moral".
No the culture of the given nationality.
Correct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back