A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

Minority governments can be quite a good thing if MPs swallow their egos, shove talk about "mandates" and compromise on their ideological BS to develop common sense policy.

Unfortunately that is derailed somewhat when people elect the Pauline Hansons of the world.

No discrimination...It's a vote for Human Rights..we have a New Zealander with a criminal record, Derryn Hinch getting elected..Shame,Shame, Shame...:p

Minority governments can be quite a good thing if MPs swallow their egos, shove talk about "mandates" and compromise on their ideological BS to develop common sense policy.

Unfortunately that is derailed somewhat when people elect the Pauline Hansons of the world.

And the delightful Eric Abetzes of the world who's first response is "ditch everything that isn't ideological BS, because that's why we lost seats".

******* Redlands keeps Laming. That's hard to swallow. Disappointed for LFH as well in Bonner, she ran a good campaign.

******* Redlands keeps Laming. That's hard to swallow. Disappointed for LFH as well in Bonner, she ran a good campaign.

Laming was never in doubt. They are in love with the idiot. Speaks volumes about the god forsaken place!

I'm in Bonner and was disappointed for Laura too. Vasta does well here by just keeping his head down and not attracting controversy and presenting the image of the guy you'd like your daughter to date.

Had a friend who worked in one of his restaurants years ago and he is allegedly quite a nasty piece of work.

3958125e650b022f9115a376ff7c0650.jpg

Laming was never in doubt. They are in love with the idiot. Speaks volumes about the god forsaken place!

I'm in Bonner and was disappointed for Laura too. Vasta does well here by just keeping his head down and not attracting controversy and presenting the image of the guy you'd like your daughter to date.

Had a friend who worked in one of his restaurants years ago and he is allegedly quite a nasty piece of work.

Your friend must be pretty soft if he thinks Ross is nasty. Ran his business hard but was quite fair with his employees imo just expected that people rocked up to work and not * around. I know that he's a pretty reasonable guy but has little to no time for bullshit. Don't be successful by putting up with with the crap I guess.

Is this the most criminals ever elected to the senate?

The most since 1789!

(Actually probably not, government was funny in the decade or so after Federation.)

This is what happens when the 2 major parties give voters no reason to vote them in... people get fed up and look elsewhere and we end up with Hanson making a come back.

Kinda glad, because i dont really trust either major party with a majority government.

I'd rather either party secures a decent majority in the House of Reps than repeat the dysfunction of the Gillard-Rudd minority government term or, perhaps worse, the "too scared to do anything" knife edge government that we've currently got in Qld.

A minority Coalition government reliant on far right loonies to pass legislation is about my worst outcome from this election. Any chance that Turnbull had of dragging the Coalition slightly more towards the centre on social issues is now gone. The new coalition of the moronic, including Hanson, will * up the next several years beyond recognition.

Turnbull won't last. The right of the party are delusional about the popularity of Abbott to anyone that's not in the right of the liberal party so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't pull the trigger on a challenge in the next few months. We may end up with PM Morrison as a "compromise".

Whatever happens, this parliament will be practically unworkable. I'd be surprised if it lasts to term regardless of who's in government.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just heard Hansen on the radio. "I havent receive no calls from anyone". The only good thing about her getting in is she might suggest a law to deport people who cant speak English.

Tin foil hats for all!

Looks like this thread is the haven for the morally superior. Aparently I've voted for an idiot, live in some backward suburb and am some sort of a bigot if I enjoy hogs breath, dont rate Nova Peris and covet a pair of Oakley sunnies, much less have any time for Pauline Hansen. Back to the football board for me.......

Looks like this thread is the haven for the morally superior. Aparently I've voted for an idiot, live in some backward suburb and am some sort of a bigot if I enjoy hogs breath, dont rate Nova Peris and covet a pair of Oakley sunnies, much less have any time for Pauline Hansen. Back to the football board for me.......

Used to live in the Redlands and helped campaign for Laming in 2004. I feel informed enough to comment.

If you're merely offended by someone posting an over the top Facebook meme then yeah probably not the thread for you.

Don't mind Hogs Breath myself though!

Well, I live in the perennial LNP heartland of Ryan. It's LNP at every level and will be for a long time to come I'm sure. It's a great place for families, community, schools etc and I love the place, don't have too many complaints. It seems a bit weird though that the LNP has actually increased it's vote in the area this election when the national swing is against them. I mean, they already have 60 something percent of the vote and there's plenty of things that this electorate misses out on because the LNP takes it for granted and the the ALP write it off and don't put any effort into it. I also don't understand how the Greens don't outpoll the ALP given they actually do seem to put in quite an effort in the area and the the area does seem to have quite a large number of academics, students, public servants and young social conscience type professionals. The area will be without much effective representation for a long time to come I guess.
You never though. I used to live in Bennelong in Sydney, John Howard's seat. I would never have imaged that the Libs could lose that seat but Howard of course did in the end.

You never though. I used to live in Bennelong in Sydney, John Howard's seat. I would never have imaged that the Libs could lose that seat but Howard of course did in the end.

I've lived here for the last dozen years or so. Rudd had some personal links in the Korean/Chinese communities so campaigned heavily here and managed to win it. Unless Labor runs someone who can build on the ethnic links, they'll never take it off the Libs again - it's just becoming an extension of the blue north shore electorates. Funnily enough the state electorate was held by Labor for almost ten years, but I don't think they're ever going to hold it again.

John Alexander seems like a real plodder too so if he can't lose its hard to see anyone else doing so. The Chinese/Korean community is quite naturally leans conservative I think. Last election I was also a bit surprised to find that the Vietnamese community is also often quite conservative. There was a candidate up here for the LNP of Vietnamese origin that I had the chance to talk to. His parents had come to Oz on a boat as refugees so I asked him about the Abbott/LNP policy of 'turn back the boats'. He had no sympathy and was all against asylum seekers. "My family has worked hard to make a life here and we don't won't undesirables coming in" was basically his mantra. I told a Vietnamese friend about what he said and he reckons it's a pretty usual attitude in the community.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back