Moved Thread Academies - When do we all get one?

Remove this Banner Ad

You have one, limited to a section of the population, just like the Swans'.
Gar nicht wie bei den Schwänen und das weißt du ganz klar ;)

Are you saying Heeney and Mills are from impoverished indigenous/migrant families?

Because our 'academy' only allows us to work with these kids. Our prime prospect is a 15 year old from Sudan who has played for 2 years afaik.

I can see the similarity to Isaac Heeney :D

Each club has one.

If that was true we would've Got both Danger and Hendo in 2009 draft just as Sydney got Heeney and Mills.

Unfortunately other clubs seem to get preference over us at our very own footy factory. Something that doesn't happen in NSW.

Gar nicht wie bei den Schwänen und das weißt du ganz klar ;)

Are you saying Heeney and Mills are from impoverished indigenous/migrant families?

Because our 'academy' only allows us to work with these kids. Our prime prospect is a 15 year old from Sudan who has played for 2 years afaik.

I can see the similarity to Isaac Heeney :D
Your academy gives you access to players who live in SANFL zones in football country. I don't know why you're saying impoverished, one parent a born overseas is enough to qualify. The Swans academy gives access to players in Northern New South Wales and Northern Sydney. It was half a decade and five million dollars before Heeney drafted. Both academies were set up in demographics where there was no engagement or access with high level footy or pathways.

If that was true we would've Got both Danger and Hendo in 2009 draft just as Sydney got Heeney and Mills.

No you wouldn't, because any players out of your academy would have come from areas without high level football pathways, not the Geelong Falcons.

Your academy gives you access to players who live in SANFL zones in football country. I don't know why you're saying impoverished, one parent a born overseas is enough to qualify. The Swans academy gives access to players in Northern New South Wales and Northern Sydney. It was half a decade and five million dollars before Heeney drafted.

How many of Isaac's parents were born overseas?

You know quite well that our academies are only for indigenous and 'multicultural' kids

How many of Isaac's parents were born overseas?

You know quite well that our academies are only for indigenous and 'multicultural' kids
Yes, those who grew up in a SANFL zone and could have grown up playing football. Adelaide's academy is restricted to players with an overseas background (who could have even grown up playing) or indigenous kids. Sydney's restricted to areas where there was no or very limited high level football pathways or even many decent senior teams.

Sydney's restricted to areas where there was no or very limited high level football pathways or even many decent senior teams.

Key word: was

If its good for the goose...

And apart from Heeney, how many have been drafted from the area since? Not exactly the SANFL zone Adelaide has access to.
Callum Mills, Sam Naismith, Dan Robinson, Jordan Foote

I'm not saying you shouldn't have an academy, just that we should all have one if you do.

We could easily put restrictions in place like one academy pick per year.

It's only fair. The swans are hardly struggling.

We all want a fair competition, right?

Callum Mills, Sam Naismith, Dan Robinson, Jordan Foote
None of those players come from Northern NSW.
I'm not saying you shouldn't have an academy, just that we should all have one if you do.
You do, with the same draft rules and with limiting factors on the players who can go into it. Your idea that there should be open slather on players from your zone (or one per year) is stupid because it assumes that Sydney's zone produces the quality that South Australia has on a consistent basis. If this idea went ahead and Sydney got Adelaide's SANFL zones and Adelaide got the rich territory of Newcastle, the Hunter, the Tweed and North Sydney, you'd be spewing.

Last edited:
None of those players come from Northern NSW.

You do, with the same draft rules and with limiting factors on the players who can go into it. Your idea that there should be open slather on players from your zone (or one per year) is stupid because it assumes that Sydney's zone produces the quality that South Australia has on a consistent basis. If this idea went ahead and Sydney got Adelaide's SANFL zones and Adelaide got the rich territory of Newcastle, the Hunter, the Tweed and North Sydney, you'd be spewing.
I don't care if they're from northern New South. They're from your academy.

At the end of the day, if all clubs had academies, but could only take one per year, it will strengthen the entire league.

Clubs will invest in multiple options but only take one, leaving spillover for other clubs to take in the draft.

Your arguments are silly. You sound like one of those old COLA defenders.

Sydney has hardly missed finals this millennium. You don't need free hits in the draft

I don't care if they're from northern New South. They're from your academy.
You don't care that you didn't answer the question and missed the point of it? Fair enough.

At the end of the day, if all clubs had academies, but could only take one per year, it will strengthen the entire league.
All teams do have an academy with the same draft rights and with restrictions on the players who can enter them.

Clubs will invest in multiple options but only take one, leaving spillover for other clubs to take in the draft.
It's already happening with existing academies without the one player restriction.

Your arguments are silly.
Then address them.

We all want a fair competition, right?

Lol.

Nothing in this thread has anything to do with a fair competition.

Just sooking for the sake of sooking.

Heeney (56 games/58 goals) in 3 seasons
Mills (44/1) in 2 seasons
------------------------------
B Jack (28/16) in 5 seasons, will be delisted 2017
Naismith (26/3) in 5 seasons
Robinson (16/5) in 5 seasons
Foote (6/1) in 3 seasons
Hiscox (1/0) in 2 seasons, delisted 2016
Davis (0/0) in 2 seasons, delisted 2016
Perris (0/0) in 2 seasons, delisted 2015

For every gun there are 3 or 4 okay depth to list clogging players.

This year will be two straight years we will not draft anyone from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately other clubs seem to get preference over us at our very own footy factory. Something that doesn't happen in NSW.

Victoria lives in an AFL dominated state.. the point of the academies is to identify talent, show them a pathway to success and develop them. A lot of the academy kids wouldn't be playing AFL if not for the academies... hipwood and heeney have been very open in saying that if the academy didn't exist, they wouldn't have been playing footy. Same can't be said for Dangerfield and Henderson, or any other Victorian player for that matter. We bleed for football down in Victoria, especially in
Geelong.

All Victorian clubs already have their own Academies... named Victoria!

All Victorian clubs already have their own Academies... named Victoria!

But we have no draft discounts like the NSW and QLD teams do.

Port have one? We have two young boys in our academy that we can draft once age-eligible.

Kai Pudney and Martin Frederick
Thats the next generation academy, you dont have a rights to them in the national draft you can only select them if they fall through the national draft into the rookie draft. Richmond had kayle kirby in their academy last season but we selected him in the draft and they weren't allowed to match a bid for him.

I was trying really hard to reconcile with myself, going for Sydney today but after reading this thread , I hope you both lose.
Head firmly buried in you know where

Remove this Banner Ad

Back