BlueMark

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2003
MELB
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Now who am I gonna believe Air Marshal Funnell, General Gration (served under him, a fine man), Admiral Hudson .........or Hawkforce and his political agenda driven mates. I think Gen Gration view says it all.

War doubters hit back at PM
By Michael Gordon
National Editor
March 4, 2004

Former defence force chiefs have branded as offensive and wrong John Howard's assertion that opponents of the Iraq war supported a policy that would have kept Saddam Hussein in power.

The Prime Minister this week stepped up the defence of his decision to join the Iraq war, telling Parliament on Tuesday that prominent Labor politicians had "the heavy burden of justifying to the Australian people why they supported a policy that would have kept Saddam Hussein in power".

He insisted this was the "practical consequence" of Labor's policy - "and that will be to your everlasting political shame".

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer led the attack, saying: "The fact that we got rid of that regime and you wanted that regime to remain in office is an argument that between now and polling day we would be happy to have."

High-profile opponents of the war who shared Labor's view that tougher inspections and United Nations sanctions should have preceded a commitment of troops to war, have now taken exception to the Howard-Downer claims. They include those who held key positions in the Defence Force at the time of the first Gulf War in 1991.

Air Marshal Ray Funnell, chief of air staff from 1987 until 1992, told The Age: "As someone who opposed the war... I find it deeply offensive that I'm categorised as someone who wished Saddam to remain in power. What it suggests is there was no alternative other than going to war. There were alternatives and they weren't tried and some of those alternatives may well have led to regime change. How would we ever know?

"Some of those alternatives may well have discovered things without loss of life that have now been discovered with huge loss of life and a terrible remaining situation in Iraq."

General Peter Gration, chief of the Australian Defence Force from 1987 to 1993, said it was absurd and silly to argue that those who opposed the war wanted Saddam to remain in power. "I opposed the war because the Government's case for going to war, which was based principally on the weapons of mass destruction, was unconvincing and weak.

"Our Government didn't argue its case for war on the basis of regime change but, if they had, it would have been vigorously opposed ... it's simply not acceptable international behaviour to take the extreme step of going to war without UN backing because you don't like a particular regime, however bad it may be. I think the Government realised this and that's why they didn't use it as a principal argument."

General Gration said it was still unclear whether the threat of terrorism had been reduced. He believes WMD were just a pretext for war - and that the real reason was to consolidate US control of, or access to, oil.

Admiral Mike Hudson, chief of naval staff from 1985 to 1991, said it had been shown there was insufficient evidence to justify war. Mr Hudson also took issue with Mr Downer's assertion that Australia's alliance with the US would have been substantially weakened if the Government had refused to go to war.

"I cannot believe that relationships between the two countries were so sensitive that we had to acquiesce in a pre-emptive attack on Iraq when there was so little obvious reason to do so."

Downer and Howard will be rueing the day they take on the likes of these men. I'd love to see either in a debate with Funnell, for instance.

RF exudes integrity, more than can be said for our esteemed political leaders. (Love to see him make a run for a Federal seat).

The public have been fed some bull over the last couple of years, and these high-ranking officers will soon be joined by the likes of Angus Houston and the like, along with Adrian D'Hage in 'educating' the public.

nah

tampa showed us you can fool enough of the people often enough...

as for the delusional moron bush and his machiavellian mass murderer side kicks cheney and rumsfeld, evidence that americans aren't getting any smarter either.

Originally posted by BlueMark
What it suggests is there was no alternative other than going to war.

Yep.

There were alternatives

Really?

and they weren't tried

Even after 12 years?

and some of those alternatives may well have led to regime change.

Err... still waiting for the alternatives...

How would we ever know?

Indeed...

Err... still waiting for the alternatives...

"Some of those alternatives may well have discovered things without loss of life that have now been discovered with huge loss of life and a terrible remaining situation in Iraq."

So many alternatives... so many lives lost!

Err... what were the alternatives again???

General Peter Gration, chief of the Australian Defence Force from 1987 to 1993, said it was absurd and silly to argue that those who opposed the war wanted Saddam to remain in power.

So they wanted regime change then?

"Our Government didn't argue its case for war on the basis of regime change but, if they had, it would have been vigorously opposed ...

So it's "absurd and silly to argue that those who opposed the war wanted Saddam to remain in power"

BUT

"regime change would have been vigorously opposed".

Oh dear...

Hmmm... still waiting for those alternatives.

I spoke to someone tonight who refused, point blank, to answer one simple question:

Q) Do you think Libya should have been allowed to continue their incredibly advanced Nuclear Weapons Program???

A) What about China!?!?!?

I'm not surprised that Blue - "Iran is experiencing healthy and vigorous debate" - Mark would post such vague tripe and expect it to be taken seriously...

Meanwhile it's quite fun watching as the sheep flock...

What were the alternatives again???

But they don't say what the alternatives were???

What were they???????

What hadn't been TRIED between 1991 and 2003????

What would these defence guys have DONE to remove Saddam, his sons, and the Baathist regime???????

Just how incredibily advanced was it Hawk?

Did they have a deployable weapon?

Did they have a delivery system?

Did they have a supply of weapons grade material?

Did they have the manufacturing and engineering capacity to manufacture deployable weapons complete with delivery systems.

Or did they have the same knowledge and research facilities that can be found in any semi industrial nation.

My answer to your question is this.

No nation should have Weapons of Mass Destruction. Period.

yup
OBL wanted regime change in the USA so he wacked a few thousand civilians...

oh wait a minute, only the USA is allowed to wack civilians to get a regime change...

or maybe OBL wanted to get rid of WMDs, so he thought he'd wack civilians to get rid of WMDs...

oh no, the USA has to bomb iraq to get rid of WMDs and OBL, but what no link between OBL and Iraq? no WMDs?

looks like the USA 1. lied, 2. killed civilians, 3. stole the oil 4.keeps people illegal locked up and tortured 5. Says its in the name of GOD

OBL 1. lied, 2. killed civilians, 3. stole the oil 4.keeps people illegal locked up and tortured 5. Says its in the name of GOD

yup good thing the americans are there to tell us what right and wrong, even when they lie, steal, murder and torture...

Originally posted by GuruJane
But they don't say what the alternatives were???

What were they???????

What hadn't been TRIED between 1991 and 2003????

What would these defence guys have DONE to remove Saddam, his sons, and the Baathist regime???????

Jane...your kidding right??

How many times have Mr Q, myself , Bluemark plus many many other posters (apologies those I missed) offerred a number of alternative actions that may have resulted in the desired result of the removal of Saddam. How many??

Your well read...how many opinion peaces in a number of papers made numerous recommendations on alternatives to war.

But no...you war mongerers did NOT WANT TO LISTEN.

And not much has changed....your still not listening.

I can't believe that you actually posted this rubbish. What hadn't been tried between 1991 and 2003.....plenty hadn't of been tried.

For one how bout actually supporting the coup in 1991....instead of actually aiding Saddam by refusing the Shi-ite access to the Iraqi weapons dumps. How bout that for starters.

How bout ending the sanctions when it was obvious for all to see that all the sanctions managed to do was weaken the people whilst strengthening Saddam.

How bout smuggling weapons to the Kurds, the Shi-ite's, organising revolts.....backing an uprising. The US managed successfully to do this with the Afghans under Soviet control....are we to really believe that under a weakened Saddam this wasn't viable??

How bout you read the hundreds of threads that we've started on this issue...and you'll find a number of alternatives that may or may not have worked....and this is nothing but a internet discussion board.

Now imagine the intelligence community actually put there mind together....do you honestly believe that there we no alternatives other then war.

C'mon Jane....why don't you want to see. Remove your fingers from your ears and listen...for once.

Can't you see that this war was meant to happen.....all along. Why can't you see that our leaders did not want any alternatives....they wanted an excuse to invade, to pillage, and to rape the resources of an resource rich country.

Our leaders clearly lied to us about why they went to war, that much seems pretty clear to me.

Whether we should have gone to war is much less clear.

As we did go to war in Iraq, this certainly suggests to me that we should go to war in other countries based on the same principles of replacing corrupt murderous regimes (if this was the reason we went to war), given there were not WMD (or so it seems).

The lack of consistency of approach sets a dangerous precedent and makes one wonder if there were in fact other reasons why we went to war in Iraq - eg oil, economic self interest.

It seems to be a long bow to draw to say that anyoen who opposed the war therefore supports Saddam's regime continuing. Thats just rubbish.

The problem is that while it can be universally agreed that getting rid of Saddam is probably a good thing (I think), what is in dispute as it seems to me is the precednet this sets for Western Governments deciding unilaterally that regmie change is necessary when it suits them, based on no cogent set of explainable principles.

I think its quite a valid position to say, I don't support a war until the Government can give me a set of cosistent and valid criteria as to why its necessary.

These matters are never easy and it seems quite foolish to me that both sides of the fence take such dogmatic views that they are right and anyone on the other side is either a war mongrerer or a supporter of despotic murderers.

I am still not sure whehter we should have gone to war which I guess makes me a deplorable fence sitter.

I wouldn't bother Lestat. Hawkforce and Jane have put their metaphorical fingers in their metaphorical ears - they can't hear you.

Interesting to have Downer say that "The fact that we got rid of that regime and you wanted that regime to remain in office is an argument that between now and polling day we would be happy to have." The Government line on Iraq has been getting shriller and shriller over the past few months - they're right in a way that the issue is past its use by date, but the more it recedes into the past, the better perspective we have on it.

It's one of those things that sits in the back of the electorate's minds - You told us we were in danger, You told us there were weapons. We entered the war in a spirit of panic, a frenzy over Iraq's supposed capabilities. The Liberals have backed away from that mindset by degrees, but they still expect us to believe the war was urgently required.

And in a way, the resurgence by the Labour Party under Latham casts another light on the Government. Their moral authority has been undermined simply through the emergence of another voice for the electorate to listen to. They can no longer make pronouncements and expect to have them tacitly believed. They are now being forced to defend their statements publicly, and they are clearly uncomfortable with the idea.

The Government are going to need some spectacular things to say on other issues, because they're kinda boxed into a hole on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by RogerC
I wouldn't bother Lestat. Hawkforce and Jane have put their metaphorical fingers in their metaphorical ears - they can't hear you.

Interesting to have Downer say that "The fact that we got rid of that regime and you wanted that regime to remain in office is an argument that between now and polling day we would be happy to have." The Government line on Iraq has been getting shriller and shriller over the past few months - they're right in a way that the issue is past its use by date, but the more it recedes into the past, the better perspective we have on it.

It's one of those things that sits in the back of the electorate's minds - You told us we were in danger, You told us there were weapons. We entered the war in a spirit of panic, a frenzy over Iraq's supposed capabilities. The Liberals have backed away from that mindset by degrees, but they still expect us to believe the war was urgently required.

And in a way, the resurgence by the Labour Party under Latham casts another light on the Government. Their moral authority has been undermined simply through the emergence of another voice for the electorate to listen to. They can no longer make pronouncements and expect to have them tacitly believed. They are now being forced to defend their statements publicly, and they are clearly uncomfortable with the idea.

The Government are going to need some spectacular things to say on other issues, because they're kinda boxed into a hole on this one.

Okay, Roger C.

List the alternatives.

(1)Enlighten us, point by point, what methods other than threat of war would have brought about the downfall of Saddam, his sons and the Baathist regime?

(2) Explain and analyse why even the threat of war did not bring down the regime?

(3)Analyse why the methods tried between 1991 and 2003 did not work?

(4) Explain why these ex military quoted in the article did not elucidate their alternative policy for the removal of the Baathists?

and

(5) Analyse, point by point, the reasons why why Saddam, his sons and the Baathist regime are no longer in power.

Okay, Roger C.

List the alternatives.

(1)Enlighten us, point by point, what methods other than threat of war would have brought about the downfall of Saddam, his sons and the Baathist regime?

(2) Explain and analyse why even the threat of war did not bring down the regime?

(4) Explain why these ex military quoted in the article did not elucidate their alternative policy for the removal of the Baathists?

and

(5) Analyse, point by point, the reasons why why Saddam, his sons and the Baathist regime are no longer in power.

This goes for "Send in the Marines" BlueMark as well.

Perhaps you could offer your military knowledge to RogerC via a PM?

Am waiting with breath bated ...

Okay, Roger C.

List the alternatives.

and

IMGA0170.JPG

Here you go Jane.....take a good look at 'your solution'.

Take a look at what your 'war of liberation' has resulted in.

Were there alternatives???

YOU TELL ME?

DIDN'T THIS CHILD DESERVE A CHANCE. WHAT DID THIS BABY EVERY DO? WHAT...WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME!!!

WHY DO YOU PUNISH THIS CHILD......IN ORDER TO REMOVE A MURDERING DICTATOR.

NOW TELL ME......WAS IT WORTH IT??? WAS WAR THE ANSWER???

I HOPE YOU SLEEP WELL TONIGHT JANE.....I BET YOUR FEELING REALLY SAFE NOW HEY.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by RogerC

Err... still waiting for those alternatives...

Originally posted by Hawkforce
Err... still waiting for those alternatives...

C'mon Hawk,

We've bloody posted alternatives hundreds of times. Your beginning to sound like a broken record.

How many damn times do we have to present our 'alternatives'...only for you to 'ask for alternatives' again in a few months.

You want the alternatives......how bout you get of your a** and do something...search the threads...you'll find plenty of our 'alternatives'.

I remember at least 3 times of the top of my head that you've asked me for alternatives.....and I have given you them each time.

So what is Hawkforce....are you playing dumb...are you acting stupid...or are you just being yourself???

One last question dawkforce......

WHERE ARE THOSE WMD????

Originally posted by Lestat
IMGA0170.JPG

Here you go Jane.....take a good look at 'your solution'.

Take a look at what your 'war of liberation' has resulted in.

Were there alternatives???

YOU TELL ME?

DIDN'T THIS CHILD DESERVE A CHANCE. WHAT DID THIS BABY EVERY DO? WHAT...WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME!!!

WHY DO YOU PUNISH THIS CHILD......IN ORDER TO REMOVE A MURDERING DICTATOR.

NOW TELL ME......WAS IT WORTH IT??? WAS WAR THE ANSWER???

I HOPE YOU SLEEP WELL TONIGHT JANE.....I BET YOUR FEELING REALLY SAFE NOW HEY.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Look closely murderer.

Look closely...

Originally posted by Hawkforce
Look closely murderer.

Look closely...

I bet you had a smile on your face when you saw that photo...hey hawk.

Must of made you feel really proud.....you murderer of woman and children!

Originally posted by Jars458
Our leaders clearly lied to us about why they went to war, that much seems pretty clear to me.

Whether we should have gone to war is much less clear.

As we did go to war in Iraq, this certainly suggests to me that we should go to war in other countries based on the same principles of replacing corrupt murderous regimes (if this was the reason we went to war), given there were not WMD (or so it seems).

The lack of consistency of approach sets a dangerous precedent and makes one wonder if there were in fact other reasons why we went to war in Iraq - eg oil, economic self interest.

It seems to be a long bow to draw to say that anyoen who opposed the war therefore supports Saddam's regime continuing. Thats just rubbish.

The problem is that while it can be universally agreed that getting rid of Saddam is probably a good thing (I think), what is in dispute as it seems to me is the precednet this sets for Western Governments deciding unilaterally that regmie change is necessary when it suits them, based on no cogent set of explainable principles.

I think its quite a valid position to say, I don't support a war until the Government can give me a set of cosistent and valid criteria as to why its necessary.

These matters are never easy and it seems quite foolish to me that both sides of the fence take such dogmatic views that they are right and anyone on the other side is either a war mongrerer or a supporter of despotic murderers.

I am still not sure whehter we should have gone to war which I guess makes me a deplorable fence sitter.

Can I just congratulate you Jars on an excellent post. I may receive a little criticism for appauding a "fence sitter", but I'm constantly disillusioned by posters who cannot see both sides of the argument.

It's that criteria thing which most worries me too, and has since well before the first shot was fired. Fact is though, my desire to see Saddam and his filthy henchmen ousted outweighed the implications associated with the US, UK, Spain, Oz etc.. going it alone. My initial hope was that the rest of Europe would support the liberation, but that was dashed quite early in the piece.

As for our esteemed leaders ... if they knowingly lied to you, me, and the rest of the electorate over their suspicions of WMDs, then they should be made accountable in a court of law. I'd have no problem turning the key that locked them away for a long time.

Originally posted by Lestat
How bout smuggling weapons to the Kurds, the Shi-ite's, organising revolts.....backing an uprising. The US managed successfully to do this with the Afghans under Soviet control....are we to really believe that under a weakened Saddam this wasn't viable??

I'm wondering how many of those "smuggled weapons" may have resulted in some more of those dead babies you seem to enjoy posting.

Hypocrite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back