List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine we'll find that out during the preseason, because all three are possibilities.

If it had been Giles, reserves was the only possibility.

I disagree, but it's clearly not worth discussing any further than we already have.

We have to back Walsh in now to get the most out of what he's got, but I hope that Walker/Jenkins/Lowden get first crack at it, with the threat of Pods to keep them honest should any of them prove inadequate in whatever role they're given.

Awww did I expose your total lack of football knowledge and you've gone to water. Poor, precious, little self-important thing.

Whose your top 5 tapper downs in the league?
Pods would be up there ;)

The AFC is such a contradiction. You get all excited by the likes of Walsh and Fagan and then one of the bad old guard, David Noble, raises his ugly head.
wdys.gif

This actually sounds abit promising:

HAWTHORN — HIGH DISTINCTION
IN: James Frawley, Jono O’Rourke
OUT: Mitch Hallahan, Luke Lowden, Kyle Cheney
DRAFT PICKS: 31, 49, 50, 68, 77, 95, 113, 131
VERDICT: How good is Hawthorn? Improved the best 22 by acquiring Frawley for free and the No. 2 pick from two years ago, Jono O’Rourke, for pick 19. Wow. Not only enhanced their list, but their reputation as a good club by handing off Mitch Hallahan and Luke Lowden for not much, knowing they needed opportunities. The downside there is that these guys were pillars of the new-look side from 2016 on. Lowden looks a beauty, but was never going to force Roughead, Gunston, Ceglar or Hale aside short-term.
Is that some positivey coming from you mike?

We haven't been good on the trade table for a while now, we need to harden up.....hopefully Walshy brings this to the club. Happy with the 2 inclusions, but think our # changing was a bit left of centre ??
Yeah, we suck at trading in the last few years.

Jacobs - best ruckman in the comp this year regardless of what The AA selectors said.
Crouch - One of the best young midfielders in the comp, will be scary good.
Brown - Massively underrated in my opinion, will play 250 games for us, midfield in the future.
Lynch - Horrible luck with injury but can be great with a good run.
Jenkins - Kicked what, 40 goals as a 2nd ruck/Fwd, again massively underrated by most here but must be considered one of the best FWD/Ruck in league.
Pods - Second in the AFL for contested marks last year when brought in as cover for Walker and his knee.

Hate to see what we would of had to achieve for you to think we were good at trading.

This actually sounds abit promising:

HAWTHORN — HIGH DISTINCTION
IN: James Frawley, Jono O’Rourke
OUT: Mitch Hallahan, Luke Lowden, Kyle Cheney
DRAFT PICKS: 31, 49, 50, 68, 77, 95, 113, 131
VERDICT: How good is Hawthorn? Improved the best 22 by acquiring Frawley for free and the No. 2 pick from two years ago, Jono O’Rourke, for pick 19. Wow. Not only enhanced their list, but their reputation as a good club by handing off Mitch Hallahan and Luke Lowden for not much, knowing they needed opportunities. The downside there is that these guys were pillars of the new-look side from 2016 on. Lowden looks a beauty, but was never going to force Roughead, Gunston, Ceglar or Hale aside short-term.
Is that some positivey coming from you mike?

Jacobs - best ruckman in the comp this year regardless of what The AA selectors said.
Brown - Massively underrated in my opinion, will play 250 games for us, midfield in the future.
Jenkins - Kicked what, 40 goals as a 2nd ruck/Fwd, again massively underrated by most here but must be considered one of the best FWD/Ruck in league.
Pods - Second in the AFL for contested marks last year when brought in as cover for Walker and his knee.

Hate to see what we would of had to achieve for you to think we were good at trading.
8th?

Awww did I expose your total lack of football knowledge and you've gone to water. Poor, precious, little self-important thing.

Whose your top 5 tapper downs in the league?

No point talking because you take some stupid tangent to rant about. If things aren't exactly as you like you melt down like 3 mile island.

You are the one bring ridiculousness into a simple observation. One that others have made too.

In your imaginary world you are the best judge of football. But in the real world you pull up well short. You detract from actual discussion and make out like your opinion is the most important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever wells' policy is, we need to follow it

He's the undisputed king recruiter in the league. Without doubt.

It's like trading with Warren Buffett, it matters less what he knows that you don't, just that you need to realise that he does.

IMO Graeme Wright can't be far off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many "live" picks do we have in the Draft?
Technically, as many as we want. The draft doesn't end until every club has finished filling their list (or passed, leaving a list vacancy for use at the PSD). In theory, there's nothing to stop us from delisting every single player from our senior list and drafting new players all the way to Round #40. Realistically though, we'll probably use the picks we traded for as "live" selections, upgrading Cameron with whatever our next pick is after that (probably somewhere in the 80s).
Any chance of further delistings?
The numbers suggest that we'll be making one more delisting. We've delisted or retired 6 players so far (Rutten, Porps, Pets, LJ, Smack, Graham). We've traded for 2 players and upgraded Cameron. Assuming we intend to use the 4 picks we received during today's trading, then we will need to create one more list vacancy.

Agreed. Great trades and were completed at well below their current value. Added to that would be the trade of Bernie to get Matt Crouch, who will seamlessly replace Thompson when he's ready to be shown the door.

I bet all these people complaining about AFC's trades would be the same people complaining had we given up early draft picks. No list manager in this world has the ability to trade overrated fringe players and shitty late-round draft picks into stars of the competition. You can't polish a turd.

I'm really happy with Cheney and Lowden. From what i've read, they're great "club" men, bring a winning mentality and both have the sort of attitude Walsh is trying to foster around the club. They fill deficiencies in the squad and, at worst, add competition for places. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cheney play 22 this year.

You are a dead set drongo.

No point talking because you take some stupid tangent to rant about. If things aren't exactly as you like you melt down like 3 mile island.

You are the one bring ridiculousness into a simple observation. One that others have made too.

In your imaginary world you are the best judge of football. But in the real world you pull up well short. You detract from actual discussion and make out like your opinion is the most important. No wonder posters continually call you out and give you a whack.

The "whack" more often than not has zero impact as it comes from the people who sat idly by gushing while the former administration drove this once great club into the ground. If I have to take the occasional "whack" from the "everything is awesome" crowd then so be it. Water off a ducks back.

Now where were we, favourite "tapper downs" of the last decade....W***er !

Technically, as many as we want. The draft doesn't end until every club has finished filling their list (or passed, leaving a list vacancy for use at the PSD). In theory, there's nothing to stop us from delisting every single player from our senior list and drafting new players all the way to Round #40. Realistically though, we'll probably use the picks we traded for as "live" selections, upgrading Cameron with whatever our next pick is after that (probably somewhere in the 80s).

The numbers suggest that we'll be making one more delisting. We've delisted or retired 6 players so far (Rutten, Porps, Pets, LJ, Smack, Graham). We've traded for 2 players and upgraded Cameron. Assuming we intend to use the 4 picks we received during today's trading, then we will need to create one more list vacancy.

Thanks for that. It does appear that most think one more change to the list is coming. Might be a few fringe players on edge the next few weeks. L Thompson? B Reilly? Pods?

Thanks for that. It does appear that most think one more change to the list is coming. Might be a few fringe players on edge the next few weeks. L Thompson? B Reilly? Pods?
Reilly & JPod are both proven AFL footballers. They're both past their prime, but both provide depth in case of injuries. More importantly, they're both contracted for 2015. The odds on either of them being delisted would be fairly long.

The smart money would be on one of Shaw, L Thompson & CEY being given the axe. None of these will ever make it as AFL footballers, they provide virtually no value as "depth" players and they're all out of contract.

Reilly & JPod are both proven AFL footballers. They're both past their prime, but both provide depth in case of injuries. More importantly, they're both contracted for 2015. The odds on either of them being delisted would be fairly long.

The smart money would be on one of Shaw, L Thompson & CEY being given the axe. None of these will ever make it as AFL footballers, they provide virtually no value as "depth" players and they're all out of contract.
I may be wrong but don't Shaw and CEY also have contracts.

Pretty sure CEY is contracted for 2015, so my money would be on LT to go.

Speaking of contracts, has there been any mention anywhere of contract lengths for Cheney/Lowden? Just wandering.

People will be surprised at how good this Lowden could be

3 goals, 12 possessions, 15 hit outs and 10 score involvements for his first game against the best ruck combination in the comp

There is plenty there for Clarke to work with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back