2nds AFC 2022 SANFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if Voss is the right one, but there don't seem to be many must haves for next year on this list.

View attachment 1402915
Of that list I'd say the following:

Certain to be on the list in 2023
Walker (if he wants to continue)
Rowe
Gollant
Nankervis
Hinge

Likely to be on the list in 2023
Borlase
Parnell
Frampton
Himmelberg
Newchurch (if he manages to crack a few games this year)

Unlikely to be on the list in 2023
Davis

It really comes down to how hard we are willing to prune the Frampton/Himmelberg/Borlase types.

I'm not sure if Voss is the right one, but there don't seem to be many must haves for next year on this list.

View attachment 1402915
It's not as simple as we won't keep X player next year, so let's get someone in that spot now, it's one less list spot you've got to use in the National Draft when that comes up because you've used the list spot. There has to be consideration of "if I take this guy now, who might I miss out on later?".

Of that list I'd say the following:

Certain to be on the list in 2023
Walker (if he wants to continue)
Rowe
Gollant
Nankervis
Hinge

Likely to be on the list in 2023
Borlase
Parnell
Frampton
Himmelberg
Newchurch (if he manages to crack a few games this year)

Unlikely to be on the list in 2023
Davis

It really comes down to how hard we are willing to prune the Frampton/Himmelberg/Borlase types.
Personally I'd depart Walker, Borlase, Frampton and Himmelberg with our best wishes.

Plenty of opportunities for Thilthorpe, McAsey, Fogarty and Murray then, however I don't think we would be that aggressive. I also not sold on Rowe to be honest. He's just not hitting the scoreboard enough, 6 goals in 7 games from a small forward who doesn't really offer any defensive action (below average for both tackles and pressure acts).

But as I said earlier, I don' t know what the MSD potential is looking like.

Personally I'd depart Walker, Borlase, Frampton and Himmelberg with our best wishes.

Plenty of opportunities for Thilthorpe, McAsey, Fogarty and Murray then, however I don't think we would be that aggressive. I also not sold on Rowe to be honest. He's just not hitting the scoreboard enough, 6 goals in 7 games from a small forward who doesn't really offer any defensive action (below average for both tackles and pressure acts).

The calls to give Walker a 2 year extension are absolute nonsense. Just complete rubbish and if we do it we're absolute morons. He can get a 1 year extension, but to open yourself up unnecessarily with a multiple year contract is silly (as we found out with someone like Betts when we signed him to a 3 year deal as a 30/31 year old)

The calls to give Walker a 2 year extension are absolute nonsense. Just complete rubbish and if we do it we're absolute morons. He can get a 1 year extension, but to open yourself up unnecessarily with a multiple year contract is silly (as we found out with someone like Betts when we signed him to a 3 year deal as a 30/31 year old)
I agree, and I wouldn't be giving Walker another year until after the ND is done and dusted to see what we've got.

No one else will want him, and if they do, good on them!

View attachment 1402915
Several of those are on the rookie list, so their delisting won't create a senior list vacancy (to be filled in the ND).

I agree, and I wouldn't be giving Walker another year until after the ND is done and dusted to see what we've got.

If Tex's form warrants another year at season's end it's a no brainer.

No player we draft is likely to replace Tex's input in their 1st year. At this point it's looking highly unlikely Fogarty is ready, if ever to fill the breech Tex would leave.

For those wanting to delist both Frampton & Himmelberg at the end of the year, consider this...

With those two gone, our KPF stocks would consist of Walker, Thilthorpe, Fogarty & Gollant. Walker may retire this year, and at best he'll be a year-to-year prospect for the future. Fogarty shows no signs of improvement, and at this stage appears unlikely to survive when his contract expires next year. That leaves just Gollant & Thilthorpe, who have the majestic total of 23 AFL games between them. Both appear very promising, but neither are anywhere near ready to lead our attack.

I'm not against delisting Frampton & Himmelberg - but doing so would definitely force us to go tall again in the draft this year, at a time when all & sundry can see our desperate need for drafting an elite midfielder.

** This discussion really belongs in the List Management thread, rather than the SANFL thread.

did you not see him against the Lions? his around the ground work was impressive, if he can play like that each week I don't care if he only kicks a goal a game.

For those wanting to delist both Frampton & Himmelberg at the end of the year, consider this...

With those two gone, our KPF stocks would consist of Walker, Thilthorpe, Fogarty & Gollant. Walker may retire this year, and at best he'll be a year-to-year prospect for the future. Fogarty shows no signs of improvement, and at this stage appears unlikely to survive when his contract expires next year. That leaves just Gollant & Thilthorpe, who have the majestic total of 23 AFL games between them. Both appear very promising, but neither are anywhere near ready to lead our attack.

I'm not against delisting Frampton & Himmelberg - but doing so would definitely force us to go tall again in the draft this year, at a time when all & sundry can see our desperate need for drafting an elite midfielder.

** This discussion really belongs in the List Management thread, rather than the SANFL thread.
I think the club is preparing to delist both which is why we're playing McAsey forward.

Walker will play on surely, so that gives us more time

I think the club is preparing to delist both which is why we're playing McAsey forward.

Walker will play on surely, so that gives us more time
Walker is, at best, a year-to-year prospect now. He could retire this year, or he could last until 2026, so planning around his continued presence is fraught with danger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walker is, at best, a year-to-year prospect now. He could retire this year, or he could last until 2026, so planning around his continued presence is fraught with danger.
It just means we aren't forced into drafting a player this year, could wait until next

It just means we aren't forced into drafting a player this year, could wait until next
No. KPFs aren't usually ready to step up in their 1st season - maybe a few games, but those who are regulars are few.

We're looking at losing 2x KPFs this year (Billy & Berg), and at least one more next year (Fog). If Tex goes as well, that leaves us with just 2x KPFs on our list - and Gollant is massively undersized to be a KPF.

We need to be drafting replacements NOW, regardless of what hopes/plans/expectations we have for Tex's future.

1 year contract max for Walker. A player can drop off quickly. At the moment he is playing well enough to get another year but between now and the end of the year things can change quickly and may not be worthy of another year.

I'd be leaning towards trading Himmelberg and giving Frampton a one year deal, possibly as a rookie.

Otherwise try Himmelberg as a defender and delist Frampton completely.

I'd be leaning towards trading Himmelberg and giving Frampton a one year deal, possibly as a rookie.

I think we need to move away from Frampton. He has been in the system now for 7 or 8 years and just hasn't shown it. Himmelberg I feel the same way but let's trial him down back and see if he can play there. If he can't I would trade him to a club like north who need a tall.

I'm not keen on keeping both, or offloading both. Neither really deserves to be on an AFL list, but getting rid of both creates a massive hole in our list (as previously noted).

Given that my preference is for keeping 1, I would delist Frampton - he's now failed as a KPF and KPD. Berg has at least shown glimpses as a KPF, though his consistency is far below an acceptable level - he's still the better option of the two.

I'd be giving Berg 12 months, delisting Frampton, and drafting another KPF.

This time next year we'll probably be debating whether to keep Fog or Berg (not both), and delisting the other...

You wouldnt give him another year ?? WTF

Walker is getting old, no need to rush into contract extensions without seeing how he manages the full season.
We dont need to rush but to not give him a year in current form is madness, considering we dont have a great deal of KPF depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back