2nds AFC 2022 SANFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd be leaning towards trading Himmelberg and giving Frampton a one year deal, possibly as a rookie.

Otherwise try Himmelberg as a defender and delist Frampton completely.
I’m not a huge fan of Frampton but it is surely stupid to have dropped him after a few bad games, that means the coaches have made a decision to make him a back man and then punish him for being poor at times. We should play him for 5 or 6 games in a row in that position and then decide on his future.
I understand he’s been poor but I don’t think wins and losses really matter at this stage as we are never going to make finals.

I’m a way this is good for the club and Nicks can experiment without the full pressure of needing to win

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Capture.PNG

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I’m not a huge fan of Frampton but it is surely stupid to have dropped him after a few bad games, that means the coaches have made a decision to make him a back man and then punish him for being poor at times. We should play him for 5 or 6 games in a row in that position and then decide on his future.
I understand he’s been poor but I don’t think wins and losses really matter at this stage as we are never going to make finals.

I’m a way this is good for the club and Nicks can experiment without the full pressure of needing to win
They did - they gave him 6 games in a row, from R3-8. What he showed was a good long kick, but also a complete inability to defend 1-on-1. A KPD needs to be able to defend, and Frampton just can't. That's why he's been dropped, and that's why his ticket has now (more than likely) been stamped.

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
They did - they gave him 6 games in a row, from R3-8. What he showed was a good long kick, but also a complete inability to defend 1-on-1. A KPD needs to be able to defend, and Frampton just can't. That's why he's been dropped, and that's why his ticket has now (more than likely) been stamped.
Oh I didn’t know it was 6 weeks, if that’s the case we should never see him again. But none of us know that gonna happen, we all know he will be back within 2 weeks

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
ADELAIDE

League

F: Smithson, Hall, Newchurch

HF: Taylor, Nankervis, Gollant

C: Parnell, Crouch, Cook

HB: Milera, Davis, McPherson

B: Frampton, McAsey, Borlase

R: O’Brien, Schoenberg, Sharrad

INT: Lewis, Wright, Boyle, McKenzie, Johnson

IN: Cook, Taylor, Frampton, Schoenberg, O’Brien, Wright

OUT: Worrell (AFL), Fogarty (AFL), Strachan (AFL), Soligo (AFL), Murray (AFL), Freeman (Frankston VFL)

EAGLES

League

F: Williams, D. Menzel, Hardie

HF: Goldsworthy, T. Menzel, Firns

C: Pudney, Knight, McFarlane

HB: Sinor, Thompson, Rowland

B: Lister, Lehmann, Duval

R: Ballenden, Clarke, Mutch

INT: Comitogianni, Beecken, Buck, Pearce, Mead, Hoile, Guilhaus

IN: T. Menzel, Knight, Guilhaus

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
ADELAIDE

League

OUT: Worrell (AFL), Fogarty (AFL), Strachan (AFL), Soligo (AFL), Murray (AFL), Freeman (Frankston VFL)
Strong side, especially with Worrell, Berg and Pedlar to come in.

Win/loss ratio always matters. After all, a part of a rebuild is selling that you're plan is on the right track. Selling to the players, the fans and the AFL world at large. To do that, effectively you need to win.

Should we end the season from here at 3-19 to potentially 5-17, I would wager that Nicks is losing his job.

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Win/loss ratio always matters. After all, a part of a rebuild is selling that you're plan is on the right track. Selling to the players, the fans and the AFL world at large. To do that, effectively you need to win.

Should we end the season from here at 3-19 to potentially 5-17, I would wager that Nicks is losing his job.
I understand that win loss counts but we have an opportunity to try things out, we are 2 or 3 years of a rebuild left. If Nicks doesn’t have a big year next year, then he will be under pressure. We have cut so deep and now have no value to trade that we need organic growth.

Gtowncrow

Cheated out of Finals
Jul 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
ADELAIDE

League

EAGLES

League

F: Williams, D. Menzel, Hardie

HF: Goldsworthy, T. Menzel, Firns

C: Pudney, Knight, McFarlane

HB: Sinor, Thompson, Rowland

B: Lister, Lehmann, Duval

R: Ballenden, Clarke, Mutch

INT: Comitogianni, Beecken, Buck, Pearce, Mead, Hoile, Guilhaus

IN: T. Menzel, Knight, Guilhaus
I wonder what the score might be if our AFL and SANFL sides played a genuine game against each other.
It's hypothetical but I'll say 30 points AFL side.
What do you think?

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I wonder what the score might be if our AFL and SANFL sides played a genuine game against each other.
It's hypothetical but I'll say 30 points AFL side.
What do you think?

Would be a fairly big margin I think. More like 100 points.

Probably not a huge difference between the bottom 12 players of the AFL side and top 12 of the SANFL side but the gap between the best 10 AFL and bottom 10 SANFL in the team is significant.

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide

Hard to say. I think the earliest Nicks will lose his job will be around round mid season 2023. But in saying that if Clarko available end of year we have a decision to make. I can only see Clarko going to GWS, Crows, North, West Coast, Powaa. I think Dew will keep his job and they will probably give Rutten one more year plus Clarko likely hates Essendon. Every other coach is safe. The only other one that might be exposed is Bevo if they have a really bad end to the season but I can't see them sacking him so soon.

Last edited:
Hard to say. I think the earliest Nicks will lose his job will be around round mid season 2023. But in saying that if Clarko available end of year we have a decision to make. I can only see Clarko going to GWS, Crows, North, West Coast, Powaa. I think Dew will keep his job and they will probably give Rutten one more year plus Clarko likely hates Essendon. Every other coach is safe. The only other one that might be exposed is Bevo if they have a really bad end to the season but I can't see them sacking him so soon.

It's a pipedream to think Clarko is coming here, North or West Coast. He's on record indicating he's after premierships and all three clubs are probably 6-7 years away at minimum from that. Really, I'd be incredibly shocked if Clarko ended up anywhere other then GWS, after all, that's the match made in heaven for a coach looking to cement his legacy. For the three of us, we're looking at trying to find that next hot coaching prospect to guide us through a rebuild, if we choose to move on from our coaches.

The only way Nicks loses his job in 2022 or before the end of 2023 is if we regress badly, but it is more than possible. We are in a rebuild and things regularly go wrong in rebuilds. The thing Nicks really needs to do this year is get to that 6-7 win mark because he can wear a season of stagnation (after all, you can make the argument that we overperformed last year, one I subscribe to seeing wins against two top 4 teams and a Saints away from home). He can't wear it next year, but will likely get the season to see if he can improve.

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's a pipedream to think Clarko is coming here, North or West Coast. He's on record indicating he's after premierships and all three clubs are probably 6-7 years away at minimum from that. Really, I'd be incredibly shocked if Clarko ended up anywhere other then GWS, after all, that's the match made in heaven for a coach looking to cement his legacy. For the three of us, we're looking at trying to find that next hot coaching prospect to guide us through a rebuild, if we choose to move on from our coaches.

The only way Nicks loses his job in 2022 or before the end of 2023 is if we regress badly, but it is more than possible. We are in a rebuild and things regularly go wrong in rebuilds. The thing Nicks really needs to do this year is get to that 6-7 win mark because he can wear a season of stagnation (after all, you can make the argument that we overperformed last year, one I subscribe to seeing wins against two top 4 teams and a Saints away from home). He can't wear it next year, but will likely get the season to see if he can improve.
The crows may not be as far away from success as some think. With a topline coach and a massive improvement in our trading and drafting we could mount a challenge within 4-5 years. When clarko took over the Hawks(2005) they were a cellar dwellar (14th) and he won them a flag in his 4th year(2008). One thing they did was nail the draft for a few consecutive years and did some good trading prior to his arrival. I think the crows would be the challenge that clarko likes but he would need to have a significant say in our drafting and recruiting which I would be more than happy with.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Buckley's chance actually 😉

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Eagles always seem to perform well against us and they need a win.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm glad we gave Freeman a look, had the mature body and he also earned an extended look by an AFL club. But I'm also glad the 2 parties could see the writing on the wall early to both get some additional benefit out of the remainder of the season.

He can now go home and gun for a flag with his mates. And we can stop playing a non listed player in a key midfield role in the SANFL.

Win-win. TBH its not a bad concept to employ every year. Pick a 2nd tier midfield stallion and give them an opportunity to shine for 6 month or so. Then either MSD them or send them home!

Last edited:

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Imagine at the start of the year someone telling you our starting SANFL on ball brigade by Rd 9 would be OBrien Crouch Schoenberg Pedlar.
I sneakily thought Crouch and ROB might be dropped at some point, but its certainly very early. I don't think anyone saw the 3rd year blues from Schoenberg, that was a total blindside. But in the end, it may be good for his mental strength to work through a early career slump and get back into the team in the 2nd half of the season. In the AFL talent and fitness will only get you so far, the most important muscle has always resided between the ears!

Pedlar, well he could very well be the new enigma player on our list, got passed the baton from FOG. The one with all the potential, but none of the runs!

Fingers crossed he does more with it then Darcy did over the first 5 years.

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting to see Mcasey back down to the defence again.

It will be interesting to see if he plays down back.
With Frampton back, I thought he may have stayed up forward as we don't have a FF at the moment.
Hopefully he gets another go up there, otherwise the yo-yoing of back and forward will only hasten his demise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back