AFL 2018 - R1 - G.Western Sydney v Western Bulldogs, 1.10pm, UNSW Oval (Canberra)

Remove this Banner Ad

I for one welcome our new orange overlords.

44e15415209dd864e486ed1a23a9491e.jpg
cf51542c22ec9c45902d08d1c4526418.gif

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Doggies setting up poorly, unsuitable players in unsuitable positions on every line.

Trengove may want to be a ruck/forward but his most consistent football has been in defence.
Crozier needs to go up forward.
Wood back down in defence.
Cordy not strong enough back there, up to half forward to contest and bring the ball to ground. JJ back to half back too.
Dahlhaus was at his best rotating between forward and mid, too much time up the ground atm.

If they’ed set up like this they’ed have been much more cohesive:

FB: Naughton, Fletcher Roberts, Biggs
HB: JJ, Suckling, Trengove, Wood
C: McClean, Libra, Hunter
Foll: English, Bont, Macrae
HF: Dahlhaus, Cordy, Crozier
FF: Honeychurch, Dunkley
Inter: Williams, Gowers, Dale, Roughead

GWS were much cleaner with the ball, ran in numbers and opened us up through the lines. There really isn’t much to dislike the way GWS are going about their no fuss no nonsense footy. Us on the other hand, it could be a long season.

Toby Greene killed our backline, was allowed to run freely with Cameron doing the damage. Our matchups though, completely mind boggling. Crozier on Cameron at one stage, had defenders playing forward and forwards playing defenders. Struggling to understand how Beveridges game structure could go south in a short time frame.

Harsh to say that because he got a few positional changes right early in his career that he thinks he can turn everyone into something they are not? Or is that reading too much into it?

Wood in defence. Bont 80% mid (same goes for Lyon here too, no need to play your star mids i.e. Bont, Fyfe up forward if the ball isn't going down there!). Dahlhaus rotating mid/forward. Crozier rebounding defender, not key defender. Johannisen anywhere from wing to half-back.

Add in the more natural versatile (adept in at least 2 positions) players like Roughead, Cordy, Trengrove, McLean, Hunter, Dale - it's at least half the team being rotated around. Not great for stability.

Despite the puzzling match ups and positional changes, we got absolutely smoked.

GWS looked in great nick with winners all over the park. So much talent over the ground. That was as bad a smashing as I've seen as a Dogs supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back