Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

WCE-vs-Melbourne.png

Kayo_logo_Stream_More_vertical_black_text-100h.png

Stream live to any device. Free for 14 days.

2.PNG
Where and when: Optus Stadium, Friday May 17, 6.10pm AWST

Perth Forecast
1.PNG

Mostly sunny. Winds southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h becoming light in the late afternoon.

Last time they met: Optus Stadium, preliminary final, 2018: West Coast 18.13 (121) defeated Melbourne 7.13 (55)
Melbourne's return to the preliminary final stage for the first time since 2000 could not have been a bigger disaster. The AFL's highest-scoring team, the Demons were held goalless to half-time in a horror show that nobody saw coming.

What it means for West Coast: The Eagles have banked a couple of wins in a row and need to keep picking up the four points to stay in touch with the top four while they search for their best football.

What it means for Melbourne: The Demons' season still has a pulse after nail-biting victories over Hawthorn and Gold Coast. Returning to the scene of their preliminary final shellacking and winning would be a huge boost for their finals hopes.

How West Coast wins: Melbourne had no answer to Josh Kennedy (four goals) and Jack Darling (three) last time and if the Eagles can get their big men enough quality supply the Demons' injury-hit backline could struggle.

How Melbourne wins: By dominating the midfield. The Eagles have been better in the contest and getting their hands on the footy recently but haven't hit top gear, so Melbourne's onballers – led by Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver and Angus Brayshaw – need to win the battle.

The stat: Eagles spearhead Josh Kennedy hasn't broken a game open this season but he is still their most valuable player and has booted at least one goal in his past 63 games, stretching back to the 2015 Grand Final.

The match-up: Elliot Yeo v Clayton Oliver
Yeo has been a big factor in the Eagles' midfield finding some better form and the strong-bodied star is an ideal match-up for Melbourne beast Oliver, who had an incredible 38 touches and laid 15 tackles against Gold Coast.

It’s a big week for: Max Gawn
Gawn was completely shut out by Scott Lycett and Nathan Vardy in last year's preliminary final shocker, and the Melbourne talisman needs a big performance for the visitors to cause an upset.

Max Gawn had a tough time against Scott Lycett in the preliminary final. Picture: AFL Photos
Max%20Gawn%20v%20Scott%20Lycett.JPG

Big call: It's been 13 games since Josh Kennedy bagged more than four goals in a match. The dual Coleman medallist is due and will nail at least five against the Demons' questionable defence.

Prediction: Eagles by 22 points

Source: AFL Website

Last edited by a moderator:

You're the defending premier, as long as you are still in touch with the top 8 you are the team to beat in 2019 :)
not how it works

West Coast by the length of the Nullarbor. Neither team in gest form but we are playing far worse. Not to mention the number of players we have out. I’m expecting to be crushed tonight.

Obviously a huge game for Melbourne and I would say season-defining. If they somehow win this one it would go a long way to helping them regain their late 2018 form and maybe banish some 'demons' from that prelim which does concern me given they will probably be extremely motivated to do so. Hope I am wrong of course

Tells a better story in my eyes, in any sport regardless of your position you're still the defending premier/champion/title holder until you're knocked out of contention. As long as the Eagles are still in the 8 they have a pulse and are a chance of snaring back to back flags :).
sure but they aren't currently favourites

Defending Champs don't have to be faviourites to win

It won’t take much for West Coast to win by a crushing margin. Their midfield is better balanced, their forward line is multifaceted and formidable and their back line has a good mix of intercept markers, lock down defenders and rebound runners.

If Melbourne were to defy form and logic: Gawn needs to dominate with strong marking at both ends of the ground and down the line. Brayshaw, Harmes, Oliver, Jones and Viney need to win a truckload of the ball, use it well and lay some crunching tackles when they don’t. The forward line needs to either take plenty of marks or force spillages, lock the ball in and score efficiently. The defence needs to keep Kennedy and Darling on a short leash as well as win ground ball contests against Cripps, Ryan and Rioli. Also will need the likes of Frost, Wagner, Hore and Salem to offer plenty of run and carry off half back. Collectively the team needs to deny West Coast marks. That and bat, bowl and field well and the Dees might sneak home by a point.

Otherwise it’s the Eagles in a canter.

Obviously a huge game for Melbourne and I would say season-defining. If they somehow win this one it would go a long way to helping them regain their late 2018 form and maybe banish some 'demons' from that prelim which does concern me given they will probably be extremely motivated to do so. Hope I am wrong of course
How far do the demons reach. Half the team from that day aren’t playing tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who gets the role of frightening Clayton this time around? Yeo? Or is Schofield not gonna share his little cuddle-buddy?

I just hope we really put the foot down for the entire four quarters and blow them away in a dominant display. Need to regain that aura of invulnerability and boost the percentage coming into the bye.

I do recall Port Adelaide fans also thinking they would be smashed.

Anything can happen, The Eagles have played with more intent the past two weeks so let's see if they can keep it up on a very cold night out.

I'd expect a win for The Eagles, maybe about 24 points.

What's with the scheduling here? Absolute nightmare for Melbourne.

Melbourne -> Gold Coast -> Melbourne -> Perth = all in 1 week!

Why would the AFL give a team back to back games at opposite ends of the country to where their home base is? If I were Melbourne.. I would be putting in a complaint to the AFL.. that is a horrendous Schedule. You would never see West Coast Have a game in Gold Coast and then the week after play Hawthorn in Tasmania..

West Coast struggled to put away Gold Coast and St.Kilda.... i'll be surprised if it's a big margin tonight.

Back