Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 12 - Dockers v Blues Sat August 15th 8:10pm AEST (Optus) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So the decision to pay it down the field in the first place is a question of interpretation. I can sort of live with that. But for all the on field umpires to be unaware that when it goes out on the full, the free kick returns to where the infringement occurs, it’s utterly inept. We are talking about a billion dollar industry, where the people at home know the rules, and all of the on field umpires don’t. Surely one of them goes to the ump in control at the time and says, it’s got to return to where the infringement happened when it goes out of the full?

I think even more shocking is that the wrong player got to take the free kick.

It's your job to make sure the right player takes the free - play has stopped, and there are multiple umps around.
At least the bad call can be blamed on who-knows-what - allowing the wrong player to take a kick is simply just a half-assed attitude.

Great win and an incredible finish.

Attitude of Blues is impressive and still have lots of improvement to come.

Honey looks an AFL player and Cottrell does as well. Loved his goal celebration. Both rookie picks which helps our list

When it clicks for us watch out. We are getting closer. Go Blues

I feel bad for Freo. We’ve lost a game this year after the siren, and lost games where umpiring had an impact and to have both in one sequence of play is heartbreaking

Overall, though, I feel like Carlton probably deserved to win, after controlling the game, missing easy shots, and Freo getting gifted 2 goals in the first quarter (of their 5 total).

But then there’s swings and roundabouts, and there’s falling off the roundabout and getting clobbered in the head on the next trip around and I definitely feel for Freo there

Wait, why isn't there any focus on the fact that the player who took the out of bounds free ran about 10 metres past where the infringement occurred outside the boundary?!? Why wasn't he either pulled back to take the kick behind the mark or called for play on and therefore out of bounds?!

Also how did Newnes end up with the final kick?

The free was paid before the OOBOTF was.

Rule 15.12 takes precedence over the OOBOTF

15.12 FREE KICKS AFTER DISPOSAL

(a) Subject to Law 15.12(b), a Free Kick will be paid against a player who makes Prohibited Contact to a Player who has disposed of the football or Prohibited Contact to a Player who is Shepherding a Player who has disposed of the football.

The Free Kick shall be taken by the nearest Player to the location where the football touches the ground, or crosses the Boundary Line, as the case may be. If taking the Free Kick at this location will penalise the Team awarded the Free Kick, the Free Kick shall be taken by the Player against whom and at the location where Prohibited Contact was made.

https://sydneyafl.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/2018-Laws-of-the-Game.pdf

OOF is also supposed to be from where the ball crosses the line. Carlton took the kick from where it landed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did launch himself forward off the ground and cannoned into Docherty. You can't do that
Isn't it amazing reading all these comments with people baffled at a player giving up a free kick after leaving the ground and smashing into a player after he kicked it?

He chose to do that and risked the consequences. It's no different to the other downfields against Carlton players where they chose to chase hard and ended up out of control pushing players in the back.

Mate, check my posting history. I’ve been complaining about the umpiring long before this.

It just hopefully brings more attention to it, because it quite literally ended up directly costing a team 4 premiership points.

The umpiring is obviously appalling across the board, but this is just the pinnacle of it, and exemplifies/emphasises WHY it needs to be fixed instantly. Umpiring incompetence simply cannot be a factor in close games. And this shows why.
So this decision is the straw that broke the camel's back in your opinion. So it's not so much that this decision needs to be scrutinised but you think the footy experts in the media should really start to turn the heat on the umpiring set up.

Back