Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 9 - Bombers v Lions Fri July 31st 8:10pm AEST (Metricon) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As a neutral supporter I'd say the umps handed the lions 6 goal advantage. The neale and non-shiel free kick was a disgrace. Hipwood being allowed in the no player zone was another goal. there's 3 goals without even starting.

But essendon fans should be wondering why no-one went to Neale? sh!t coaching

Neutral 😂

Who do you reckon wins this year?

I'm thinking it could be West Coast's year again. They just have strength on every part of the ground. A very well rounded team. I actually think if Brisbane makes the grand final, they will struggle against a team like West Coast, Richmond or GWS - Backlines of these teams are big and powerful. The small line up in Brisbane's forward line would struggle to A) Take marks, and B) get any ground ball use. The types like McGovern/Barass/Grimes/Davis/Haynes will intercept everything going in there. Brisbane's best chance is if a team like Port, Bulldogs or even my team make the Grand Final... our backline is small enough for them to get on top of. People might say.. But Brisbane beat West Coast in round 3 - Finals are a different story. West Coast won't muck around like that in a Grand Final.

But at this stage.. I'll go with a West Coast - Richmond Grand Final. With West Coast winning. I think Brisbane goes close in a Prelim but just can't get over the line with the small forwards.. And if what I say is correct, Fages should follow Richmond with a Tom Lynch type move and 2021 will be their year.

I agree with you mostly but Gunston LOL.

2013 Grand Final. Gunston 4 goals, Pavlich 3, Roughead 2, Walters 1
2015 Grand Final. Gunston 4 goals, Smith 3, McGovern 2, Rioli 2

In two of the three Grand Finals he has won, he kicked the most goals. In those same three Grand Finals, he has kicked 10 goals in total, more than any other Hawthorn player. Next is Roughead on 8.

I'm thinking it could be West Coast's year again. They just have strength on every part of the ground. A very well rounded team. I actually think if Brisbane makes the grand final, they will struggle against a team like West Coast, Richmond or GWS - Backlines of these teams are big and powerful. The small line up in Brisbane's forward line would struggle to A) Take marks, and B) get any ground ball use. The types like McGovern/Barass/Grimes/Davis/Haynes will intercept everything going in there. Brisbane's best chance is if a team like Port, Bulldogs or even my team make the Grand Final... our backline is small enough for them to get on top of. People might say.. But Brisbane beat West Coast in round 3 - Finals are a different story. West Coast won't muck around like that in a Grand Final.

But at this stage.. I'll go with a West Coast - Richmond Grand Final. With West Coast winning. I think Brisbane goes close in a Prelim but just can't get over the line with the small forwards.. And if what I say is correct, Fages should follow Richmond with a Tom Lynch type move and 2021 will be their year.

You think Brisbane should pick up someone like Tom Lynch? Gee, groundbreaking stuff. You're IQ must be around 200.

Charlie cameron, a rugby reject, the most dynamic player in the comp. Mike pyke, a rugby reject, most contested marks in 2012. Cox, a basketball reject, most accurate goal kicker in the comp. Jim stynes, a gaelic reject, wins brownlow medal. Conor mckenna, a gaelic reject, most attacking and instinctive player in the comp.

Mason Cox is no way shape or form the most accurate kick in the comp = TORY DICKSON by the length of the Flemington straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you dont see the magpies get a prelim, even if you get key guys back near the end of the season?

Was there a rage against the machine song being played at all during the broadcast? Thought I heard one but couldn’t remember the name of which song

I like all the concerns about our forward line being monstered by the big scary backmen of GWS and WC. We've taken care of the Eagles comfortably the last two times, and we're comfortable at 2/3 comfortable wins vs GWS with the only loss being an absolute coin toss game where we lost by 3.

We're also the highest scoring team across this season and last so I don't think the concerns are as valid as you all think. Obviously we could be getting more production from our keys, but McStay definitely knows how to crash a pack and Oscar doesn't get outmarked. From there we have as good a set of goal kicking smalls in the league that I'm comfortable we can take anyone on our day.

Richmond the obvious exception though as they clearly know how to get the job done against us

2013 Grand Final. Gunston 4 goals, Pavlich 3, Roughead 2, Walters 1
2015 Grand Final. Gunston 4 goals, Smith 3, McGovern 2, Rioli 2

In two of the three Grand Finals he has won, he kicked the most goals. In those same three Grand Finals, he has kicked 10 goals in total, more than any other Hawthorn player. Next is Roughead on 8.

You said that he was a KPF. He is a third tall who never took a contested grab.

As a neutral supporter I'd say the umps handed the lions 6 goal advantage. The neale and non-shiel free kick was a disgrace. Hipwood being allowed in the no player zone was another goal. there's 3 goals without even starting.

But essendon fans should be wondering why no-one went to Neale? sh!t coaching

LOL.. 6 goal advantage?

We had an absolute arm chair ride from the umpires - I would be fuming if I was a Dons fan, I also accept it gave us an early advantage.

But 6 goals? try 2.. MAYBE 3.

The only super obvious one was that soft as Neale Free-kick and a couple of others.

and - the optics of that holding the ball that lead to a goal were horrible and it shouldn't be a free-kick. However, By the letter of the law, he left his feet to dive on the ball, stood up - tried to take on 2 players and got pinged - the dive is your prior, you have to get rid of it straight away. Again, gut says it shouldn't be hoilding the ball, but by the letter of the law, it was probably the correct call.

also - go check the rule around the no player zone, I don't think it was a mistake, Oppo players are not permitted in the non player zone unless following the opposition - players walk up into the protected zone and receive handoffs all the time? It was just odd because he was standing out of bounds, but not sure that is illegal?

(b) No Player shall enter and remain in the Protected Area unless the field Umpire calls ‘Play On’ or the Player from the opposing Team is accompanying or following within two metres of their opponent. Any Player caught in the Protected Area must make every endeavour to clear the Protected Area immediately.

It isn't entirely clear, but its says 'accompanying within 2 meters of their opponent' - doesn't that say the opponent (in this case hipwood being Essendons opponent) are allowed in?

LOL.. 6 goal advantage?

We had an absolute arm chair ride from the umpires - I would be fuming if I was a Dons fan, I also accept it gave us an early advantage.

But 6 goals? try 2.. MAYBE 3.

The only super obvious one was that soft as Neale Free-kick and a couple of others.

and - the optics of that holding the ball that lead to a goal were horrible and it shouldn't be a free-kick. However, By the letter of the law, he left his feet to dive on the ball, stood up - tried to take on 2 players and got pinged - the dive is your prior, you have to get rid of it straight away. Again, gut says it shouldn't be hoilding the ball, but by the letter of the law, it was probably the correct call.

also - go check the rule around the no player zone, I don't think it was a mistake, Oppo players are not permitted in the non player zone unless following the opposition - players walk up into the protected zone and receive handoffs all the time? It was just odd because he was standing out of bounds, but not sure that is illegal?

(b) No Player shall enter and remain in the Protected Area unless the field Umpire calls ‘Play On’ or the Player from the opposing Team is accompanying or following within two metres of their opponent. Any Player caught in the Protected Area must make every endeavour to clear the Protected Area immediately.

It isn't entirely clear, but its says 'accompanying within 2 meters of their opponent' - doesn't that say the opponent (in this case hipwood being Essendons opponent) are allowed in?
On your first point I think it was at most a couple of goals advantage - umpiring was putrid but isn’t the reason Brisbane won and won comfortably

On your second point - I’d legit be happy for you to have a seat in the coaches box!

Back