Autopsy AFL 2024 Opening Round 0 - Lions v Blues Friday March 8th 7:40pm AEDT (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 44 41.5%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad win for a ‘mid table’ side.

Isn’t that right Grand Uncle Horace 😜

Every now and then an average team puts in a blinder and gets the win over a better team.

Ignoring any argument about the rub of the green, it was a fine comeback and win.

Geez… at least for the first time in years I can say the Bulldogs aren’t the worst at stopping teams from getting a run on.

Making calls after the fact is a bit pedestrian, isn't it. The game is played before the first bounce
You are regularly one of the biggest pre game yappers, I probably wouldn’t play the “well it’s easier to talk crap after the game” card even if the Carlton fans do it a lot on here and go over the top.

I know it's only one game, but it's hard not to draw conclusions from it. Brisbane had everything in their favour, at home, opponent missing several star and key players, favourable conditions to what they're used to, big things expected and the statement game having just lost a close GF, 46 points up early on, and still lost.

Again, this is an overreaction but there's also years and years of evidence to suggest that Fagan is just NOT a winner when it gets tough, he doesn't have the answers.

For the Blues, that's as good a win they've had under Voss. It's the game that already stamps them as a contender.
If you go back to 2013 post GF loss, there’s no way Hawthorn lose that after being up by 8 goals. Brisbane is an excellent side but they very well may be a team that never delivers. Still, it’s early on, they’ll get better from that and I hope they do.

Melbourne were according to Steven May.

You'd know that if you weren't a Saints fan masquerading at a Demon supporter.
May has standards a lot higher than his teammates, unfortunately. If we had more players with his approach we’d be a lot better off. But we don’t. And we are not better off.

Not a good start for Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I've heard for the last month is how the Lions are ready to take the next step.

Then they come out and play like that and lose after leading like that.

Back to the drawing board Brissie, see ya in another 20 years when you are relevant again, this team doesn't have the mental fortitude to win a flag.

All I've heard for the last month is how the Lions are ready to take the next step.

Back to the drawing board Brissie, see ya in another 20 years when you are relevant again, this team doesn't have the mental fortitude to win

Back to the drawing board Brissie, see ya in another 20 years when you are relevant again, this team doesn't have the mental fortitude to win a flag.
One game and we are irrelevant, is that it? No more games for the year? At least we will know who to go to for advice on how to follow an irrelevant side if it happens…….

Brisbane got what they deserved for having those ridiculous songs playing after their goals.
There’s a lot of stupid things after goals. The roar meter has got to be there.

The real issue is that Brisbane would have expected to have heard take me home country road about five times to steady the nerves and just heard….

I'd hate to be whoever Brissy is facing next. The thing is, lack of answers aside when the tide turns, they are a very very good outfit. And as we saw early in the match, they can go absolutely ham.

Geez, that was a great win.

Say what you like about the calibre of the players. But one thing that can’t be disputed is they play with heart.

This group has heart and plenty of it. We saw it last year and again last night. They don’t give up. I haven’t been able to say that as a Carlton supporter for 20+ years.

Second largest comeback in club history.

First 1.5 quarters diabolical, but flicked the switch after that and boy was it fun to watch.

Cripps, Curnow, McKay, McGovern, Fogarty all excellent.

Hopefully the Doc injury isn’t serious - played out the quarter so I’d say more precautionary than anything. Rest him for the Richmond game if need be, with a bye after that he can be right for Good Friday vs North.

And welcome back Zac Williams. 💙

Brisbane, don’t write them off. Lost their first game last year too, from memory. They’ll still go very deep, and quite possibly all the way.

They’ll be disappointed obviously but this result is far more meaningful for Carlton than it is the Lions.

Really great win by Carlton last night. Still a bit too reliant on Curnow + McKay, but there are signs they can spread the number of goal kickers by the end of the season. That’s basically what they needed to show, so great showing. Were down by 46 points though, but that might just be early season rust.

On the other hand, signs of mental weakness from Brisbane still linger when the heat is on. They can easily still finish first or make a grand final, but can they win one? The problem they have is that their competitors like Collingwood and GWS have high fortitude and mental resilience. If they or Carlton bring the heat in the Grand Final, can Brisbane get the job done? I have some doubts after yesterday, but we probably won’t get an answer until at least the second half of the season.

Really great win by Carlton last night. Still a bit too reliant on Curnow + McKay, but there are signs they can spread the number of goal kickers by the end of the season. That’s basically what they needed to show, so great showing. Were down by 46 points though, but that might just be early season rust.

On the other hand, signs of mental weakness from Brisbane still linger when the heat is on. They can easily still finish first or make a grand final, but can they win one? The problem they have is that their competitors like Collingwood and GWS have high fortitude and mental resilience. If they or Carlton bring the heat in the Grand Final, can Brisbane get the job done? I have some doubts after yesterday, but we probably won’t get an answer until at least the second half of the season.
What makes you think GWS has fortitude and mental resilience? They've fallen apart in nearly every big game. They blew the game against the Pies last year...

Blues are all about commitment and pressure. It was a surpring q3 after I wondered away from the telly end of q1 thinking why didn't I go out.

Wondered back at half time, noticable immediately is the blue's small man engine room that creates pressure and errors, and opportunities. The 3rd q was also interesting because Lions still created many opps and couldn't convert. So it was a combo of pressure and fortune.

In the end the blues guns fired and the lions' misfired at critical times. A great win for a gutsy team.

I don't know how blues can sustain a whole season in this way. They need to find a way to manage oppo scoring when they have down time. And as noted, also need to do same when blues on fire.

Their outs coming back will help address these quirks, I hope for them.

Back